Another truck tire thread

used to always have wild country's on my truck but think they discontinued them.
Had pretty good luck with BFG KO2s but they are spendy
Put a set of General Grabber ATx on this fall & so far i have no complaints

Go to tirerack.com and look at data for treadlife, traction, noise, etc. Great analysis over millions of mile if use. One of the categories is "would you recommend."
I've run 10 ply KO-2's on my rigs for many years. I recently switched to the General Grabber AT's Light Truck tire. Look at the reviews.
I've got a Yukon XL and a older Jeep Wrangler, and I put them through the paces every year.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
I was considering KO2s but the reviews are so bad, I passed.
I am at 70k on a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 and they have been fantastic. Still a lot of tread left.
Historically I ran Michelin LTX AT2s and that is a fantastic tire, too.
Probably better in snow and ice than the Falkens but chunked a bit on basalt.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Find the tire you want on walmart tire. Watch the prices. Often you will see a vendor looking to unload some for cheaper. Buy em up and wally world will install them.

I have a ran both the ko2 and duratracs. If I were driving mostly highway I'd go with the ko2. If I were more offroad, I'd go with duratrac. They are indestructible, but are a bit noisy on the road after they get some miles on them.

Last edited:

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
ko2. Wildpeaks are a cheaper alternative but they are heavier and the siping isn't full depth so they don't do as well on snow/ice to start and especially a few thousand miles after they are new. Flex the lugs/sipes between the two at a shop to compare. A good lower priced alternative, I ran them on a SUV I knew we weren't keeping more than 2 years. Ended up 3 winters with them, they are ok just not bfg's.

Duratracs have weak sidewalls compared the ko2's, they do very well in snow. I tow heavy with ko2's on a superduty and they are fantastic, loved them on lighter rigs as well.

Shraggs

WKR
After 40 years of at style tires, still haven’t found perfection. Something not always noted is vehicle weight which can favor one tire over another.

50% wear really defines a tire for me, as they all seem to do well initially. My 2000 tundra has not liked original KO, Cooper st3, Hancock at. They have liked the duratrac a lot. Although not the best road tire, darn good on mountain roads, snow and muddy corn fields. I’m careful now in rain and ice as they are below 50%.

Another great tire all around was the Nokian rativva except in muddy conditions. Best none dedicated snow tire I’ve ever used. No longer made.

The new nokian outpost at we put on wife’s forrunner. Pretty impressed so far but our winter was pretty light this year. Real good road manners and casual off road was non issue.I need to use it more before I try them on the tundra.

I've been running the Falken wild peaks 10 plys on my ram for about a year now, and they've been awesome. Where I live in western south dakota you get a little bit of everything, especially with the winter we've had this year. Snow, ice, gumbo, highway, creek crossings, dirt roads, gravels roads, it does it all very well.

The only issue I have is they tend to overbite on gravel compared to other tires i had in the past, so I take it pretty easy on gravel roads. But other than that, you would be hard pressed to find a better all around tire IMO

Seth

WKR
General Grabber on my RAM 1500 that gets 30k annual miles on highway, gravel, sand, and on a coal mine. It’s about the best balance of all quiet highway ride, traction in snow, ice, and mud and tire wear I’ve found. Over 45k on this set and I’ll get another.

This almost sounds too good to be true. Never heard of anybody getting 88-98,000 miles on a set of All-terrain tires.
Here's a couple of pictures to support my claim.

I've got a 1/4 inch of tread depth remaining.
IMG_20230311_062302294_HDR (2).jpg

And here's the paperwork showing my original milage and the install date. I previously said 2018, but I actually purchased them in November of 2019.
IMG_20230311_062502135 (3).jpg

I've got about 70,000 miles on these tires right now. Out of curiosity, I did some research and it looks like these same tires would cost me twice what I paid in 2019, if I bought them today.

djsamaha

FNG
I have 60k on my Toyo AT3’s on my F150 with no end in sight. Mostly interstate miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh this fun thread! Maybe I’m an asshole to tires but these are some high mileage numbers. I put on 100-200 miles a day now 80% gravel. Last job I’d say was 40% gravel 60% interstate. I went through 3 sets of Cooper at3xlts in 2 years averaging 21,500 miles a set, thank goodness for warranty’s. KO2s don’t hold up on hard gravel nor do falkens. I do have falkens on my personal rig as they were cheap and that’s mostly a highway/hunting vehicle not fast on gravel and I do like them for that. If you had to have a tire that was the best for 40,000 miles I’d go Toyo open country or their new model one. They are expensive but reliable. Cooper stt max are good too if you can find them, I don’t care for the pros.

I am searching for a set of ATs for my wife’s 4Runner. Maybe buy some Cooper 4s and hope they do better on a lighter vehicle that isn’t driven hard! I just can’t help but think of the issues I’ve had

GLB

WKR
I/m running the KO2s on my Tundra. I like them and if I had one negative about them is that the tire pressure reacts to temperature change more than others.

Oh this fun thread! Maybe I’m an asshole to tires but these are some high mileage numbers. I put on 100-200 miles a day now 80% gravel. Last job I’d say was 40% gravel 60% interstate. I went through 3 sets of Cooper at3xlts in 2 years averaging 21,500 miles a set, thank goodness for warranty’s. KO2s don’t hold up on hard gravel nor do falkens. I do have falkens on my personal rig as they were cheap and that’s mostly a highway/hunting vehicle not fast on gravel and I do like them for that. If you had to have a tire that was the best for 40,000 miles I’d go Toyo open country or their new model one. They are expensive but reliable. Cooper stt max are good too if you can find them, I don’t care for the pros.
I’m about the same, I average about 25k on a set of tires, and am good about rotating them, but gravel kills tires, even on little pickups (always have E rated tires too or I’m getting flats regularly)

The ko2’s held up well on my wife’s tundra, over 40k, now she has the falken at3… the ko2’s were doing so good on the tundra I decided to give them another chance

Ordered e-rated ko2’s, and got 2 flats in under 2 months, and then was looking at them… c rated. Go to the tire shop, show them my receipt that I paid for e rated, so they ordered me the right tires after 5k miles of the c rated… I was commuting 400-650 miles every week working in the spring and summer, so I did get 30k on them, then they got slick at 50% tread, but still had some life, then I got a rock flat late fall and decided I will never consider them again, I have had them on 3 rigs and got flats on all of them, and was never impressed with their performance.

I don’t care much about long tire life as much as traction through the life of the tire, I wish I could find the info on what tires were not made of 2 compounds to get more life out of them, the only ones I know are the same compounds in the whole tread is nokian, but their rock proofs don’t look like they would have great traction on wet pavement

The cooper maxx hold rocks worse than any tire I have had on a small pickup, don’t seem to be as bad on full size pickups, but I couldn’t stand them. I got a set when they first came out and I sold them to my sis in law cheap after a couple weeks.

Since the cooper stt, I have been on the search, and currently have falken mt’s, and when these are toast, I will be trying the duratrac. That was the stock tire on my pickup but weren’t e rated so I didn’t trust them, but they do make my size in the e rated and they seem to have good traction in most conditions

Trees91

WKR
Way too much to read to catch up on this whole thread.

10ply 285/75 Wildpeaks on my f150 have over 60k on them and they still look ok. Mostly highway.

10ply 275/70 bfg k02 on my work truck were toast after about 30k. Probably drove more gravel than paved. Not easy miles either. Suzuki 750 atv in the box most of the time and im not afraid to do 65-70 on gravel.

Just saying gravel kills tires.

Just ordered some Yokohama geolandar at for the 4Runner. They will be a new tire for me.

Just replaced my MT ATZs with MT Baja Boss. Great on and offroad, wet weather is good. They will sap a few ponies/fuel due to their weight.It's a small price to pay for the confidence they give me, and we punish them. BFG KO2s have got to be the worst wet weather performer I have used. How they sell so many is beyond me.

Unckebob

WKR
Cooper AT3 4S tires have been an excellent tire on both my trucks, One of the highest rated on/off road tires in the Tire Rack surveys.

I have had good luck with Cooper tires in the past on cars, trucks and SUVs. The were great on snow when I lived in New England. They are my go to brand for replacement tires.

When my new(ish) Tundra needs new tires, I am going to look hard at their AT tires. Since I now live in N Texas, snow is no long a factor.

I drive 90% on regular roads, but the 10% is rough and I want to avoid getting unnecessary flats because my sidewalls are weak.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Have got 35k on a set of the Falken Wildpeaks. Plenty of tread left and they have done very well on and off road, including in rocky stuff. Still quiet on the freeway. They are the LT version, 10 plys. They are a heavy tire so cost a little on the mpg side of things.
Yep another vote for Falken Wildpeaks. Great tires. Reasonably priced.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
The last new tires I've had on my truck were: bfg ko2 - threw rocks like crazy and wouldn't stay balanced

Duratracs- lasted 80000 km and were a pretty good tire but got noisy at 50 percent tread life. A lot of my travel is o gravel and all the tread rounded off pretty early in life.

Firestone destination at- nice on highway and decent in mud and snow. I won't get 60000 km out of them. Tread edges are still sharp and they don't throw rocks too bad. Tread seems to self clean well.

All of those tires were on a half ton and pulled a heavy travel trailer. We just out some Nokian outpost tires on some 1 ton work trucks and I am very impressed so far. I think that will be my next tire. We had cooper's on the one tons last and they didn't last at all.

ODB

WKR
Yep another vote for Falken Wildpeaks. Great tires. Reasonably priced.

You guys are introducing me to something new. Was not familiar with the Falken but they look intriguing. Oddly enough was at Zamzows lawn and garden today and when did I see? Wild Peaks on a tundra. Look like stout tires.