Side by Sides (Pioneer vs Mule)

TxLite

WKR
Looking at side by sides and considering the Honda Pioneer 1000-6 and the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT EPS 6 seater for general use around the property and hunting.

The Honda comes in roughly 4-5k higher out the door. I like the real transmission and have been a huge fan of Honda's reliability I've experienced with my Foreman 500 and several of their motorcycles, but not sure if it translates to the Pioneers or if the Pioneer is worth the additional 5k.

The Kawasaki also has a pretty solid reputation as a reliable work tool, and I like the ability to extend the bed into the second row when I don't have passengers.

Does anybody have experience with either/both they can share?

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
That’s one of the things I was worried about. I’ve heard the mule doesn’t handle rough terrain very well either

wyosteve

WKR
I don’t know about the Mule in rough terrain, but the place we hunt pigs in Texas uses the heck out of theirs and I’m impressed. Goes through mud and brush easily. And hauls 5 big guys without a problem.

Wrench

WKR
I ran a mule for several years. I hauled two elk out whole MANY times on cull hunts. They are very capable and mine (kaf620) was nearly stealth quiet. Suspension was nothing like the honda, but there's nothing more stable.

If it's more work than play, mule for sure. If not reverse.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I don’t know about the Mule in rough terrain, but the place we hunt pigs in Texas uses the heck out of theirs and I’m impressed. Goes through mud and brush easily. And hauls 5 big guys without a problem.
I guess the feedback I received was more directed towards rider comfort in rough terrain, not necessarily its ability to get through it. From what I understand, it’s a very capable machine but the suspension doesn’t handle rocky terrain very well

Hoghead

WKR
My buddy has the Honda. in steep country, the Manuel transmission is awesome. He had a Polaris ranger diesel. Long downhill stretches, the belt would release, and you would have to rely on the breaks. We lost the breaks 2 times it wasn't fun. The pioneer was like a rocket ship compared to the ranger. The ranger was a work model, though. The Honda doesn't have nearly the cargo room as the ranger. Sorry, I can't help with the comparison to the kawasaki.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I guess the feedback I received was more directed towards rider comfort in rough terrain, not necessarily its ability to get through it. From what I understand, it’s a very capable machine but the suspension doesn’t handle rocky terrain very well
I have over 1000 miles on my mule pro in NM and CO. I have Elka shocks with HD springs and 30” tires. Its more comfortable then stock Defender and Ranger. The biggest difference in say a HD10 and Mule pro, is I have to use low more often but its not restrictive.
I've ran HD10 and 1000xp but not much with pioneer.

The mule will have 10x more aftermarket support then pioneer. I have heater and cab on my Mule and have enjoyed it.

elkguide

WKR
Love my Pioneer. I've only been around a couple of Mules and they definitely are very solid work machines but all three that I have worked with were loud. My Honda has been very reliable and has hauled, towed, plowed snow and been played hard with and it's been great. I'm currently looking to upgrade to a new machine and I will definitely be getting another Pioneer.

jolemons

WKR
The ranch I currently manage runs Honda. I use a 2023 Pioneer 1000-5 almost daily. I looked at the 6 seaters, but they were too big for me. The 1000cc engine blows away the Mule 812cc engines. Also, the Pioneer is much more capable offroad, not just with the bigger engine, but the suspension and handling.

The last ranch I wad on had Mules, 6 of them in twin bench configuration. They are much more comfortable, seat and suspension wise than the Hondas. Also, with insulation and stealth exhaust, they are pretty quiet. I also prefer the aftermarket Mule hard cabs, they are comfortable and refined. The downside is they have a doggy engine and too soft of suspension and loose handling to keep up with a Pioneer.

For comfort and slower flat land driving the Mule is hard to beat. The Honda is utilitarian, but high performance. I also am a fan of Honda reliability and the CVT vs belt.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far

I have over 1000 miles on my mule pro in NM and CO. I have Elka shocks with HD springs and 30” tires. Its more comfortable then stock Defender and Ranger. The biggest difference in say a HD10 and Mule pro, is I have to use low more often but its not restrictive.
I've ran HD10 and 1000xp but not much with pioneer.

The mule will have 10x more aftermarket support then pioneer. I have heater and cab on my Mule and have enjoyed it.
The lower price on the Mule makes it appealing for the ability to upgrade the suspension and tires. Definitely something to consider. The aftermarket support also makes a big difference with the 1000-6 being a brand new model. It shares a lot of similarity with the 1000-3/5 but there are some differences.

The ranch I currently manage runs Honda. I use a 2023 Pioneer 1000-5 almost daily. I looked at the 6 seaters, but they were too big for me. The 1000cc engine blows away the Mule 812cc engines. Also, the Pioneer is much more capable offroad, not just with the bigger engine, but the suspension and handling.
My use will be split with ranch work/hunting/neighborhood kid hauler. With kids in the back we decided the 5 just wasn't ideal for instances when the bed was still required. Which is a shame because I much prefer the overall length of the 5. No plans of running a fully enclosed cab at this time, just a windshield and roof. Did you experience any reliability issues with either unit?

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure if they would fit your needs, but I use can-am defender 6x6s everyday at work. For hauling weight (we have about 1000lbs in the back with spray equipment) they are excellent on most all terrain types. They are easy to work on and to do maintenance as well. Our machines get about 400 hours of use a summer each, and we have 14 of them. We have tried a few different machines and for what we do these are by far the most reliable we have found.

jolemons

WKR
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far

The lower price on the Mule makes it appealing for the ability to upgrade the suspension and tires. Definitely something to consider. The aftermarket support also makes a big difference with the 1000-6 being a brand new model. It shares a lot of similarity with the 1000-3/5 but there are some differences.

My use will be split with ranch work/hunting/neighborhood kid hauler. With kids in the back we decided the 5 just wasn't ideal for instances when the bed was still required. Which is a shame because I much prefer the overall length of the 5. No plans of running a fully enclosed cab at this time, just a windshield and roof. Did you experience any reliability issues with either unit?
Of my 4 Mules, all the Lonestar model, one was a lemon and always in the shop, the others were fine. I've had dozens of Hondas, mostly Foremans, and can count on one hand the number of times they've had issues.

Top speed with a strong tailwind on the Mules I had was about 35 mph and about 20 mph if going up a moderate grade. That was a big downside for me. I'd test drive them both first.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I am not sure if they would fit your needs, but I use can-am defender 6x6s everyday at work. For hauling weight (we have about 1000lbs in the back with spray equipment) they are excellent on most all terrain types. They are easy to work on and to do maintenance as well. Our machines get about 400 hours of use a summer each, and we have 14 of them. We have tried a few different machines and for what we do these are by far the most reliable we have found.
I looked at the Can Ams a little bit. From what I saw they were hit and miss on reliability. People either had one that never has issues or they go down constantly. Running 14 though sounds like a pretty good sample size of properly working machines
I've had dozens of Hondas, mostly Foremans, and can count on one hand the number of times they've had issues.
This has been my experience with the Foremans (aside from the electronic shift models), XR400, and the XR80 I got as a kid that still runs great over 20 years later.

jolemons

WKR
I looked at the Can Ams a little bit. From what I saw they were hit and miss on reliability. People either had one that never has issues or they go down constantly. Running 14 though sounds like a pretty good sample size of properly working machines

This has been my experience with the Foremans (aside from the electronic shift models), XR400, and the XR80 I got as a kid that still runs great over 20 years later.
I've got 4 enployees that will put 15k-20k on their Foremen each year. We've found about 30k miles to be a good lifespan on the engine. I only have 4 of the new gen models, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform. 1 of the 4 has already had a full engine replacement at 12k miles.

jimh406

WKR
I haven't seen/owned either one. However, there are some pretty good comparison videos on YouTube. If you haven't taken a look, it will probably be worth your time. I'd also throw a Polaris Ranger model in the mix if for no other reason than to see comparisons and features of different brands on Youtube.

I don't think it's a good idea to plan on upgrading the suspension. UTVs don't have a great supported market compared to other SxSs. You may find it hard to get upgraded suspensions. Tires/wheels are pretty easy. However, my 2017 Polaris Ranger 570 midsize is still using the same tires. I did add a 2 1/2 inch lift which lifts the body 2 1/2 inches after I got tire of hitting a few taller rocks on my property. You'd need 5 inch taller tires to get the same clearance, and of course, heavier tires means you lose acceleration/torque as you are turning a lot more weight. That also adds more unsprung weight on the axles.

Honda pioneer 1000-5 here is with Fox shocks, 28" tires, 2nd battery and some electronics has served me well. 2018 and , knock on wood, never had an issue. I also added full skid plates underneath. Piece of mind when you are going thru rough spots. Manual transmission is a cool option with the paddle shifters. I use them pretty often, especially when I want to climb steep stuff and make sure I am going to have the torque I need without getting a running start.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Dad has a pioneer 1000-5 along with my farm buddy and his brother. My dad babies his but my farm buddy and his brother beat the absolute crap out of theirs. They use them and work them hard. Both of theirs are 5-6 years old now and still run like brand new. My family has only had Hondas since before I was born. Most of the farmers around here only run Honda atvs and sxs’s. No experience with mules so can’t compare to them.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Had a pioneer 1000 5 seat. Absolute mountain goat. Also the noisiest, hottest, dustiest, rough riding utv I have ever been in. Plan on the fox shock upgrade. Know several people with the mule pro fxt, it’s a smooth, quiet ride. I think many here are talking about the old mule. I bought a can am defender hd10. Light years better than the Honda pioneer in all but the most technical, way off the road or trail terrain. If you buy a Honda, you will grow to hate it because of the things I mentioned. Oh yeah, the transmission never seems to be in the gear you want either.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Had a pioneer 1000 5 seat. Absolute mountain goat. Also the noisiest, hottest, dustiest, rough riding utv I have ever been in. Plan on the fox shock upgrade. Know several people with the mule pro fxt, it’s a smooth, quiet ride. I think many here are talking about the old mule. I bought a can am defender hd10. Light years better than the Honda pioneer in all but the most technical, way off the road or trail terrain. If you buy a Honda, you will grow to hate it because of the things I mentioned. Oh yeah, the transmission never seems to be in the gear you want either.
I think the Pioneer cab heat is resolved in the 6 seater because the motor got pushed back to make room for the second row. I think it would also ride smoother because it's a much longer wheel base. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet but that's what I've gathered up to this point. I do know that my buddy with a '22 1000-3 is currently planning on doing the fox shock upgrade. I have heard the gear searching complaint before so I'll definitely note that. I think there are aftermarket tunes to fix it but I haven't looked into them too much at this point