Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

WKR
Well Matt, that's not what got grizzly hunting banned here in BC. An online poll, administered in the urban center that is greater Vancouver, got the hunt banned. The pictures that -may- have been used with that poll, could have come from hipstergram, or from any number of old books, published about hunting anywhere grizzlies have been hunted, or any of the sources in between.

The fact is, you don't like other people hunting. I get that, I have some very successful friends, and I struggle with jealousy too. However, the deal with public land in your country, is that it is for everyone to use. Bad enough so much recreational use is already banned on so much of it, excluding major user groups.

We need the largely non-hunting public to be on our side. Illustrating that, in my opinion, is best done by showing them what hunting is about. Showing that it ISN'T all about the kill...although that is 100% the goal of the operation. Posting pictures from camp, to pack, to meal, especially with animals that many people don't think are edible, helps with that. Game meat diplomacy, as I've heard it called.

Anyway, you certainly had some good points, especially about the commoditization (not totally sure that is a word, but it conveys the idea I'm getting at), of dead animals as a sales tool. Good luck hunting!
Why does everybody always have to accuse people that are trying to protect a resource of jealously?

Was that necessary and did it even add anything to this discussion?

Squamch

WKR
Why does everybody always have to accuse people that are trying to protect a resource of jealously?

Was that necessary and did it even add anything to this discussion?

Well, if you listen to what he was saying, and how he was saying it, on the meat Eater podcast, his message devolved into sounding jealous several times. And being upset because other people have an opportunity....is jealousy.
What I heard, was "I want the whole sandbox to myself, because other people are in the sandbox, which makes it hard for me to play."

Problem is, it's not your sandbox. You have to share. If the sandbox isn't big enough for your tastes...go somewhere with a bigger sandbox.

Will_m

WKR
Well, if you listen to what he was saying, and how he was saying it, on the meat Eater podcast, his message devolved into sounding jealous several times. And being upset because other people have an opportunity....is jealousy.
What I heard, was "I want the whole sandbox to myself, because other people are in the sandbox, which makes it hard for me to play."

Problem is, it's not your sandbox. You have to share. If the sandbox isn't big enough for your tastes...go somewhere with a bigger sandbox.
But what happens when you become so concerned with protecting the sandbox from being destroyed by people that don’t use it, you destroy it by inviting too many people to use it?

Both sides are trying to protect it. It may, in the end, be a crap shoot either way.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
States can do want they want with their NR/Res tags. The residents should have final say. However, I like hunting lots of different states and think it would a mistake to limit NRs to the point that people cant afford to hunt these western states.

Just dont forget, its us eastcoasters that you western residents would like to push out that are paying a significant portion of the federal money for public land resources that you are taking advantage of.
and a bunch of easterners support RMEF, MDF, etc. Telling NR to pack sand gives them no reason to support these orgs. "Send us money but don't you hunt" isn't a good slogan for conservation orgs.

Squamch

WKR
But what happens when you become so concerned with protecting the sandbox from being destroyed by people that don’t use it, you destroy it by inviting too many people to use it?

Both sides are trying to protect it. It may, in the end, be a crap shoot either way.

You're not wrong. Either way we are outnumbered, but I think there may be a good way to convert people over to pro-hunting, without them going hunting.

So hear me out.

For the sake of content, an influencer, let's call him Bam Raines, needs to kill 4 elk, 5 mule deer, 3 antelope, 6 white tails, a cougar, and 17 squirrels every year. Now, obviously, Bam's family can't eat all of that. BUT! If he distributes it package by package to non-hunters, and promises to continue to supply their needs, we can get them on our side. Mr Raines will get his likes and his free signature series oven mitts royalties, we convert non hunters to supporters, and no one ever has to know what ranch the elk come from!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You're not wrong. Either way we are outnumbered, but I think there may be a good way to convert people over to pro-hunting, without them going hunting.

So hear me out.

For the sake of content, an influencer, let's call him Bam Raines, needs to kill 4 elk, 5 mule deer, 3 antelope, 6 white tails, a cougar, and 17 squirrels every year. Now, obviously, Bam's family can't eat all of that. BUT! If he distributes it package by package to non-hunters, and promises to continue to supply their needs, we can get them on our side. Mr Raines will get his likes and his free signature series oven mitts royalties, we convert non hunters to supporters, and no one ever has to know what ranch the elk come from!
:ROFLMAO:
I tried to follow him on Insta but can't find him.

So hear me out.

Bam Raines sounds like the best thing to happen to the public land hunter since the 1866 Winchester…. He hunts private and stays off of public and feeds non-hunting pro-hunters. I’ll have to buy that man a beer when I meet him!

Bam Raines sounds like the best thing to happen to the public land hunter since the 1866 Winchester…. He hunts private and stays off of public and feeds non-hunting pro-hunters. I’ll have to buy that man a beer when I meet him!
Bam Raines sounds like he needs a clever hash tag to spread that message and be inspirational on instagram. #KeepDrilling? #KeepSawing? Dunno, might take somebody more clever...

CJ19

WKR
There is a tendency for a portion of the folks who enjoy public land hunting and the challenges associated with it to look down on hunters who buy guided private land hunts or private leases. If you are a public land land hunter, you should be doing the opposite. You should be letting these types of hunters know just how great it is that is the type of hunt they enjoy. That means they are hunting where you arent and may not want to be. Not that conflicts about things like tag allotment, etc dont arise, but in general they still a large number of common interests such as wildlife conservation, 2a, etc.

I bet this thread gets as much babysitting from the Mods as my Covid Meme thread did....
I think we covered it by now. I won't be sad to see it go, but it would be nice to sticky for the new guys that show up and ask about that brand spickety new Sawtooth A tag they just scored as a first post.

"Not looking for your honey hole" should trigger and auto link to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.