Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Solo300 is planning on starting to sell rifle length barrels for the Solo300 action, likely in part from people here ordering uppers for rifles. He is interested in knowing what chamberings would be most popular.

Solo has been (obviously) focused on 300 Blackout, but I don't think that's as big an interest for these type of builds.

My guess is 300 HAM'R and 5.56/223 Wylde, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, if you're building one of these as rifles, what chamberings are you most interested in?
223 Wylde
6 ARC

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
BTW. I also had no luck with Wilson CS reps.
Yeah, at this point at least they're hearing there's some interest. I have no idea if it's big enough to move things, but can't hurt to let them know you'd be interested.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
223 Wylde
6 ARC
I did mention I thought there was interest in the 6mm ARC, but not sure if they'd extract reliably; hopefully someone can give it a try at some point. I mentioned the 6mm MAX as an eventual possibility and that it would probably function well, but that's a ways off, if ever.

I'll pass on any input I get to Solo, or he could just read it here if he's checked, though I'm not sure if he has.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
These plus 6 Creed
Unfortunately, the .473 case head cartridges won't work in this AR 15 based system (not that I know of, anyway). The cases I've successfully used so far are 223/350L based stuff. Sounds like StupidLightweight tried the 6ARC with limited success in a straight pull, but I don't of any examples in the Solo.

It's definitely limited in cartridge choices, but at least the 223 case and the 77TMK and similar bullets make it a pretty good 400ish yard hunting rifle. The 300 HAM'R is no slouch either, maybe just a little less range with its bullets and velocity. Definitely kills really well though, IME.

Marshfly

WKR
Unfortunately, the .473 case head cartridges won't work in this AR 15 based system (not that I know of, anyway). The cases I've successfully used so far are 223/350L based stuff. Sounds like StupidLightweight tried the 6ARC with limited success in a straight pull, but I don't of any examples in the Solo.

It's definitely limited in cartridge choices, but at least the 223 case and the 77TMK and similar bullets make it a pretty good 400ish yard hunting rifle. The 300 HAM'R is no slouch either, maybe just a little less range with its bullets and velocity. Definitely kills really well though, IME.
That makes sense. 223 and 77 TMK/73 ELDM are plenty in a super light rifle anyway.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
That makes sense. 223 and 77 TMK/73 ELDM are plenty in a super light rifle anyway.
Good point. The 350L already has a pretty good push at this weight.

The 300 HAM'R is pretty easy as far as recoil, the 223 is minimal. Both in a 3ish pound rifle are a lot less than my 4#14oz (bare rifle) 308.

Unfortunately, no, they take up too much room in the case. I use C Products 350 Lengend Duramags for the HAM'R. They allow loading out to 2.325", which helps, but not enough for the 155 ELDM. I used a Speer 150 BTSP on that moose, and we took another with the same. They expanded well, but didn't shed much weight. Probably don't kill as fast due to that. I was hoping the HRT would work out as it has enough capacity to make that bullet work in AR mag constraints.

These were the Speer BTSP from the two moose.
View attachment 612146

A grizzly from earlier this summer. Same bullet, worked well. Went about 30 yards and piled up. That's the first HAM'R I built in the picture. Used a Taccom stock on that one I never shortened so it looks a little funny, especially at that angle.

View attachment 612149

Didn't recover that bullet.

View attachment 612152
That is a seriously pretty bear!

A couple updates: I got a reply back from Wilson, they don’t have plans to make ultralight barrels w/o a gas port. Also I discovered that the handles that come with the polymer LPK don’t fit the TN Arms carbon lowers (up-update- the handles fit, it just tight) . I foresee that I’m going to have a box of semi random AR parts by the end of this build.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Just catching up here, and I love the 6 ARC idea, but I'd think a 22 ARC would be about the most killing power in the lightest barrel you could find, if Solo wants more input. Since the larger diameter barrels inevitably weigh at least a little more, but that 77 LRX or 88 ELDM coming out of a ~19 oz barrel... whew.
I did mention I thought there was interest in the 6mm ARC, but not sure if they'd extract reliably; hopefully someone can give it a try at some point. I mentioned the 6mm MAX as an eventual possibility and that it would probably function well, but that's a ways off, if ever.

I'll pass on any input I get to Solo, or he could just read it here if he's checked, though I'm not sure if he has.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Just catching up here, and I love the 6 ARC idea, but I'd think a 22 ARC would be about the most killing power in the lightest barrel you could find, if Solo wants more input. Since the larger diameter barrels inevitably weigh at least a little more, but that 77 LRX or 88 ELDM coming out of a ~19 oz barrel... whew.
I'd really like to try those as well, but just not sure they're going to extract reliably in a straight pull AR at this point.

Talking with Solo, he had similar extraction issues with the Grendel as I did with the HRT, Stupidlight said he had similar results with the 6ARC compared to the Blackout.

Would probably need to develop a leveraging bolt handle or something to get these larger cases to reliably extract. If and until that part comes around, it seems the 223 and 350L based cartridges will be the go to. This really isn't an issue for myself at this point. The 223 w/the 77TMK and the HAM'R with various bullets, especially the 125BT have killed as well as my 308 on everything up to grizzlies.

Although those others would be great for hunting, the 223 based stuff is so easy with respect to components and loading, I'm not even sure those others would be worth the extra hassle, for myself anyway.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
That's damn good, especially with a mil-spec lpk. You'd drop a few more oz with NFA's polymer LPK.

What's your length of pull with that modification?
Around 11".

I agree, it's hard to justify getting away from the 223. And I like the Blackout as well, since the components are ubiquitous, subsonics are deadly for my kids, and if I need to shoot past 200 yards, I'll take the Kimber anyway.

I just wonder what determines the ease of extraction, since the 223 is tapered, 350 is straight...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Around 11".

I agree, it's hard to justify getting away from the 223. And I like the Blackout as well, since the components are ubiquitous, subsonics are deadly for my kids, and if I need to shoot past 200 yards, I'll take the Kimber anyway.

I just wonder what determines the ease of extraction, since the 223 is tapered, 350 is straight...
That's a good question and I haven't figured it out yet.

Solo mentioned as little shoulder as possible, but my experience seems to relate more to case body stretch in the larger diameter case. It may be some of both that add up.

All my 223 based fired brass will easily rechamber. My 30 HRT brass will often not rechamber, and seems to stick before the shoulder has even reached the end of the chamber.

The straight pull does open your eyes a little on how much more stress there may be on an AR extracting bigger bodied cases.