Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thegman knows his ultralight ARs. Listen to him. Build a semi to begin with and don't break the bank with crazy expensive parts. Afterwards, you can go balls to the wall and build an even lighter straight-pull. They're fun as hell and unique but offer no advantage for most shooters/hunters.
I agree...especially the self-serving part about me knowing something. 😅

I think I posted this earlier, but probably worth repeating. To me, a straight-pull has some of these advantages over an ultralight AR:

Lightest possible build
More stock options
Cleaner to run
Simpler
Less fussy with ammo cycling and ammo selection (e.g. easy to drop in a mag of sub-sonic small game loads and run normally)
Easier to recover brass (I hate losing brass and have walked 300 yards back up a mountain to pick up a piece of brass, even though I have a lifetime supply of the same at home - most hunters are not that nuts)
More familiar function for traditional bolt-rifle hunters
No extra noise from the gas system (something I've appreciated shooting out of a box blind)
Quieter to cycle
Quieter suppressed
Probably a few other things.

Disadvantages:
Fewer easy-cycling chambering options (e.g. the 6mm ARC is probably not a good choice)
Not a semi-auto (if you prefer AR rifles, these aren't a substitute)
Obviously slower follow-up shots
More and sharper recoil at any given weight due to no buffer and spring to absorb and lengthen recoil cycle.
Far fewer parts choices on the market
Still have to be "adapted" somewhat like covering the gas port without going custom and spending more $
Probably a few other things.

If considering building one, I think at least some of the things on the top list have to be things you care about one way or the other. If not, the few extra ounces saved may not be worthwhile, especially if you really prefer ARs over bolt rifles.

Well put, Gman. Everything you said is spot on. For me, though, the biggest advantage of a straight-pull is the use of folding stocks. Over the past few seasons, most of my backcountry hunts have been with folding rifles strapped to my pack. It spoiled me in a hurry.

On the Shaw front, they're making the gas port-less barrel lighter. We'll see how low they can go.

Superdoo

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Do you have any recs for a lightweight barrel with the gas port? I'd like to avoid the large bill that Proof wants for their carbon.
Wilson offers the arc in 18 inches (28.9 oz) $285. That seems like a pretty good value.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Which BCG are you going with superdoo? I have enough parts laying around I want to make a gas arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't gotten that far. If anybody has any recs I'm all ears!
I have no info on usage, and I know the Arfcom types will automatically cuss me for it, but I just ordered an aluminum BCG for $100 from OutdoorgearUSA, which should save about 6 oz...

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
The aluminum ones weigh around 5.5 oz; the DSA is $159, and then the one i ordered for $100.

Will be interesting to see if they hold up...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
The aluminum ones weigh around 5.5 oz; the DSA is $159, and then the one i ordered for $100.

Will be interesting to see if they hold up...
Let us know how that cheap Al bolt carrier holds up. I've seen those in several places and have been curious about them.

The DSA is the only one I've used. Cheaper than everything other than those you're talking about, and seem to be good quality.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I built a "Red Ryder" (one of the first posts in this thread) copycat, with a Lupy 3x9 compact scope, the rifle currently weights 4 lb 2.2 oz w/o a mag. I should easily get it under 4 lbs with a few lighter parts that are on order.
Post a picture. I'd like to see it. Sounds good.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Looks great!..but then, I would say that. 😅

A Hogue 15* vertical grip is less than $20 and will drop an oz+. They weigh about 1 oz.

What handguard is that?

What barrel are you running under there? (Oh, 300 HAM'R...I see) How does it shoot so far?

Can probably just cut the handguard down if you want(?) There's usually not much weight there in the CF tube anyway, but it's a bit.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
No buffer plate. Did you thread the back of the receiver to capture the spring? I didn't go that route, but I like that.