Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Thegman

WKR
I posted some info on the 77TMK thread about my experience on trying out the 77TMK on this black bear. There was some interest in the rifle used so I'm posting some info about the whys and hows on some of what I've put together over the last year or so.

20231006_180623.jpg

I've been carrying lightweight bolt rifles around the mountains for a long time and have thought about how to make the lightest rifle I could, just to see what's possible, if nothing else. The lightest bolt rifle I've had was a 4# 9oz 308. That was pretty costly and there didn't seem to be a way to get much lighter without a lot of machining, cutting and $$.

The AR platform seemed like a good place to look having an already lightweight aluminum upper receiver,, lightweight relatively inexpensive barrels available and all the lightweight parts available...and the ability to easily put them together.

Anyway, here's a couple I've put together. Most are still getting modified as I figure out what works best for my purposes, or have been since the pictures were taken, but this hopefully give the basic idea.

This is the rifle in the picture above that took the black bear, in it's initial iteration I put together with what I had on hand at the time. I jokingly refer to as the Red Ryder. The bare rifle is only about 12oz heavier than a Red Ryder BB gun and feels more like you're holding a BB gun than a rifle you might use for big game. It's lighter, by about 1/2 a pound, than a 22LR Henry Survival Rifle if you've ever handled one of those.

20230813_195044.jpg

Front to back, here's what it was and some of the tweaks since then:

Wilson Combat Ultralight 5.56 barrel (now wearing a Faxon 223 Wylde pencil barrel to see if I could get 75 ELDM to shoot well at AR OAL length - still didn't work well, but the 77 TMK does, and probably would in the Wilson as well, I just didn't have any at the time)

Guntec aluminum gas block cut down and reversed to seal the gas port (cut off too much apparently as it was leaking). Put another unmodified one on for now.

NFA 5" lightweight handguard. This is probably too short for shooting off a pack and is probably too short to carry well on a sling...but it was what I had in the parts drawer. I've since put a cut down 10" version of the same on. That will be replaced with a 10.5" Jag Composites Ultralight CF handguard. The 10.5 JC handguard is a bit lighter that that 5" aluminum handguard. I have one on my 3#10oz 5.56 gasser. They're super lightweight and work well so far.

TN Arms Carbon 15 lower. These weigh 4 oz. and have threaded brass inserts in the receiver for the buffer tube/stock and hand grip. There are lowers that are even a little lighter, but they're not reinforced as well. I did have an NFA receiver crack on the top of the buffer tower on another build so decided to go with these. So far so good.

NFA polymer LPK. These have worked fine for me so far in multiple builds..

Solo 300 bolt action upper. These use a shortend, aluminum bolt carrier and don't require any springs, buffers, etc. in the buffer tube so can use any kind of stock.

A good place to mention why I decided to build as a straight pull bolt AR rather than a gasser:
A little easier to make a lighter build.
Easier to keep track of and recover brass.
Simpler than a gasser.
Not finniky like super lightweight ARs can be. I've built an ultalight AR as I mentioned above. It's a great rifle, but I do have to be sure gas is tuned for the specific load, etc.
Nothing getting dirty from the gas system.
I've hunted with bolt rifles all my life and never felt handicapped by that in any way. For the hunting I do, if I need multiple, rapid follow up shots, I've just screwed up. And, I can run this faster than any turn bolt if that matters...which it probably doesn't.

Hogue 15° grip. These only weigh 1oz and are only about $20.

A2 buffer tube with a Farrow Tech butt that attaches in place of the A2 stock. About 5oz total. There are other stocks about the same weight, but wanted to see what could be done on the cheap.

Hopefully that sums this one up okay and some here find the idea interesting. I'll post something shorter on the next build.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Resized_20230811_150234.jpeg

I went a little heavier on this one. Partly because it was on hand, and partly because it's a larger chambering with more recoil.

As pictured, this was a 30HRT (6.8 SPC brass sized in a 30 Herrett die and trimmed). The barrel is an X-Caliber 16" spaghetti contour. Weighs 19.5 oz. Has a lot of potential for an ultalight. Can push a 155 ELDM at about 2,450 fps...but, I haven't been able to get this chambering to extract reliably in a straight pull bolt. Since the AR has no real primary extraction, it seems this can be a problem. Still thinking about that one, but if the 77TMK keeps working like it did on the black bear, the 30 HRT may be a moot point.

Extraction has not been a problem at all with any 223 based cartridges, so I put on a Wilson Combat 300 HAM'R ultralight barrel, which weighs the same and isn't far behind the HRT. I've taken coyotes, deer, black bear, moose and grizzly with the HAM'R. So far it has worked really well.

20230904_191426.jpg

Parts are similar. Differences:
Kaw Valley PCC carbon fiber handguard. A little heavier than the Jag Composites, but less than 1/2 the price. Since there's no gas tube to cover, this kind of handguard works.

PSA fluted buffer tube.
B-5 CAR 15 Stock
Buffer tube and stock only weigh about 7.5 oz together, so not as light as the A2 setup, but still pretty light, and more convenient to carry and more comfortable to shoot.

Floridave

FNG
These are very cool. I have a side charger that I’ve been thinking of building up as a non gassed upper, maybe in 6mm arc.
Paired with a light barrel and a lower with no buffer/spring system it should be fairly light even without going to extremes.
Nice build’s you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me since I don't know a lot about AR's but is this a single shot rifle now?

mcr-85

WKR
Forgive me since I don't know a lot about AR's but is this a single shot rifle now?
I'd call it a repeater. Still uses a magazine but you have to manually manipulate the bolt for each round. It is no longer semi automatic.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR
That’s pretty cool. There is no way that you could make a 3.5# bolt gun yourself with a standard action. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of those? I find ARs to be finicky for me to shoot. Having the grip so far below the bore axis just magnifies any error with the trigger hand. I’ve got one in gas gun form with a Faxon pencil barrel that is a 2.5-3 MOA gun. It doesn’t get shot much.

Weldor

WKR
I picked up a Roam a few years back 308, 5.9 lbs. Shoots great. I also built a 300 ham'r, love that cartridge. I think Roam is the lightest reliable 308 out there? Scoped and suppressed I am around 7.5 lbs. I also seen were Wilson combat is making barrels for the Ruger ranch in 300 Ham'r . That sounds like a good compact hitter.

Attachments

• roam.jpeg
    roam.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 153
@Thegman have you tested out the KE Arms KP-15 lower yet? It's not ultralight, but at least lightweight. Price isn't bad at $119 for a fully assembled lower either. I'm thinking about trying it out for 6mm ARC build.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
These are very cool. I have a side charger that I’ve been thinking of building up as a non gassed upper, maybe in 6mm arc.
Paired with a light barrel and a lower with no buffer/spring system it should be fairly light even without going to extremes.
Nice build’s you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6mm ARC with 95TMKs would kick ass. That case may or may not extract well in a straight pull AR, IDK. There was a guy here that sold a straight pull Grendel, so it must have worked for him. As I mentioned, my 30 HRT had issues with extraction in that builld above....strangely, I did the load workups with the barrel and bolt on a much less lightweight straight pull build that uses a YHM full mass steel bolt carrier and a buffer and spring. In that rifle extraction was okay. I moved the bolt and barrel to the Solo 300 upper and cases stuck, even when I reduced loads. I'm guessing the full mass bolt carrier had enough inertia at the end of the recoil impulse (against my shoulder) that it broke the case loose. The Solo 300 bolt carrier is 1/2 the length and aluminum so thereʻs not nearly the inertia.

Last edited:

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
So you've had no trouble with the .223 loads extracting at all?

Does the detent ball in your upper's bolt carrier reliably return to the correct position and keep the action in-battery?

Have you tried shooting it suppressed?

I've got a similar build started in .223 but am currently having a few persistent issues so I am curious.

FWIW, the owner of Solo 300 said he didn't design it for the higher-pressure, bottle-neck chamberings, but rather, as the name suggests, the 300BLK.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Very cool.

I haven't weighed the parts for my Howa Mini that I have for it in .223. If its not lighter, I may just do this with an SBR lower I have with a side charging upper with a 14" barrel and suppressor. The straight pull seems like a fun change.

Next time I load for my 22 grendel, I'll block the gas and see if it can be hand cycled. That would juice up the velocity in a shorter barreled AR.

Have you thought about drilling and tapping the gas port to get rid of the gas block? Never even thought about it myself for a side charger, probably something someone else has done online...

Last year, I built a straight-pull bolt-action AR in 6mm ARC as a 300-yard hunting gun. I had a custom BSF barrel made without the gas port. It turned out well and shoots better than I can. However, as others have said, the AR design is not easy to manually cycle. That part isn't fun.

This build has a steel bolt-carrier chopped after the hammer opening and a titanium charging knob. I did that so I could use a side-folding AGP Arms stock. It's a very cool minimalist AR. I added an ARCA rail and shoot it off a lightweight Leupold tripod. As shown, I think the total weight w/ tripod is just over 6 pounds.

Attachments

• SP-ARC Tripod.jpeg
    SP-ARC Tripod.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 195
  • SP-ARC.jpeg
    SP-ARC.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 191
Last year, I built a straight-pull bolt-action AR in 6mm ARC as a 300-yard hunting gun. I had a custom BSF barrel made without the gas port. It turned out well and shoots better than I can. However, as others have said, the AR design is not easy to manually cycle. That part isn't fun.

This build has a steel bolt-carrier chopped after the hammer opening and a titanium charging knob. I did that so I could use a side-folding AGP Arms stock. It's a very cool minimalist AR. I added an ARCA rail and shoot it off a lightweight Leupold tripod. As shown, I think the total weight w/ tripod is just over 6 pounds.
Sweet folding stock, I had never seen that one before.

Since others are sharing, I figured I would share my ultralight AR in its current configuration. It's not as lightweight or minimalist as others, a somewhat conventional build with lightweight components. The aluminum suppressor is only rated for 5 shots of .223 before cooling, but it works well enough, weighs all of 8 oz, and except for the tax stamp and adapter was free in a BOGO deal.

Base weight is around 3# 10oz, and hunting weight less magazine and ammo is 5# 5.7oz.

Components list:
  • New Frontier Armory lower and parts kit (not the most durable, but it works for now)
  • Faxon .223 pencil weight 16" barrel
  • Fostech FLITE Elite Upper
  • Smoke Composites handguard and stock (used fletching tape to add two Hypalon strips for grip against shoulder)
  • V7 forward assist, charging handle, port cover, end plate
  • Griffin Armament Resistance 22M suppressor with titanium taper mount brake
  • Superlative Arms block (was overgassed with bleed off and had to use restrictive mode, could have saved money here)
  • Brownells lightweight BCG
  • Aeroprecision scope mount
  • Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40
  • Magpul grip
  • Taccom ULW buffer
  • Tubbs flat spring
  • Sokek Solutions Arca rail
1696893497972.png

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in building an ultralight AR, Brownells has 15% off on most AR parts right now.