Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Wilfred

FNG
Thanks everyone for the replies. Have searched the hardware stores for pipe camps etc. but haven’t come up with the right , light and readily available fix yet. Will likely start grinding on a gas block, or shorten the carbon fiber tube such that the gas block is exposed. Solving these kinds of issues is part of what makes this hobby of ours so interesting.

Wilfred

FNG
Thanks everyone for the replies. Have searched the hardware stores for pipe camps etc. but haven’t come up with the right , light and readily available fix yet. Will likely start grinding on a gas block, or shorten the carbon fiber tube such that the gas block is exposed. Solving these kinds of issues is part of what makes this hobby of ours so interesting.
May try one of the bushings gman linked above. If it fits snugly enough, a little loctite or rockset might do the trick and still allow for removal should suitable unported barrels later become available.

40tude

Lil-Rokslider
I posted earlier in the thread about doing this, it’s a 30 second job with a grinder. The kaw hand guard fits over fine.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some aluminum tubing to fit over where the gas block goes. Hopefully will get to this project in the next couple weeks and find out if that works or not.

The .750 bushing is a good idea. In fact, that would make a cool product for someone to sell. Just thread the bottom for a setscrew, slide it over the gas journal, clamp it down, and no more gas. I think even aluminum would work.

As for the gas-portless Wilson Combat .300 BLK barrel, that was a one-off for a custom project. But I don't know why they wouldn't sell an ultralight barrel without the gas port. I'm not sure they'd do any custom machining, but anyone with a lathe could turn that section down to shave more weight.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I heard from Wilson Combat today and they're making up a few ultralight barrels with no gas journal/port. I'll be able to get one of them. Exciting news for me!

It might be worth letting them know if you'd be interested in the same. I obviously can't speak for them, but maybe if there's enough interest and demand they'd make a run of them(?). I know nothing about Shaw, but I know Wilson Combat already makes the right contours and chamberings for these rifles as "ultralight ultralights". As a company, they're constantly coming up with new things they put into production, and have been one of the best companys I've purchased from regarding orders, shipping, etc. All my barrels from them have worked well.

Build update- many packages have arrived, however I have ran into a couple bumps- the Wiland hand guard had a snafu in shipping, but should be on its way today after a call yesterday. They were apologetic and got right on it. The lowers from TN Arms are yet to ship, when I called yesterday, they said they were very short staffed with people out sick and would get my order out in the next couple days. I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas so prob a bit more anxious than I should be.

Unckebob

WKR
The Red Ryder and the 77TMK just got its second shot on game, out the bathroom window this time...I'll have to get back to the thread a little later.

View attachment 611874

What kind of slinging that?

I have been thinking of buying a lightweight 6ARC, but as far as I can tell from you build:
1) remove 223 barrel from extra complete upper
2) Install light 6ARC barrel, no gas tube
3) turn gas block so it blocks gas port
4) Reinstall existing handguard until I find something lighter.
5) Buy polymer lower and build it up.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
What kind of slinging that?

I have been thinking of buying a lightweight 6ARC, but as far as I can tell from you build:
1) remove 223 barrel from extra complete upper
2) Install light 6ARC barrel, no gas tube
3) turn gas block so it blocks gas port
4) Reinstall existing handguard until I find something lighter.
5) Buy polymer lower and build it up.
👍 That and a new bolt, of course. Let us know how the ARC extracts for you, I'd be curious to know.

The sling is a luggage special and a couple pieces of paracord. I think the "sling" came off a laptop bag, complete with plastic swivel snaps. I found it just looking around the house for something lightweight to use. Been using it for over a year. These rifles are so light they don't need anything even remotely heavy duty.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
here is the aluminum tube I was talking about for blocking the gas port. Had to open the inside up just a bit with a dremel to fit. Then hammered it on when I got it close. I can’t see why this shouldn’t work? Cost essentially nothing

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 55
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
That looks really good. If you wanted to, you could even use a Birchwood Casey Aluminum black pen on it and hardly know it's there.

Let me know how it holds up, I'm curious to know how it works. One of my aluminum gas blocks I cut down started to leak and move on the barrel. I assumed I'd made it too thin to handle the gas pressure.

Where did you get the tubing?

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It’s just a 5/8 inside diameter 3/4 outside diameter aluminum tube from Amazon. Mine came in a little undersized which is why I had to dremel the inside but a true 5/8 inside should fit perfectly.

Q. - what scope base/mount are people using? I was looking at the Aero Precession ultralight, but don't know if I need the standard, extended or the SPR. I don't have a specific scope in mind right now, but will prob start with a Leupold 2-7x that I have in the safe.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Q. - what scope base/mount are people using? I was looking at the Aero Precession ultralight, but don't know if I need the standard, extended or the SPR. I don't have a specific scope in mind right now, but will prob start with a Leupold 2-7x that I have in the safe.
I'm using the Aero. For the 2-7 I think any would work. The main difference is the extended has the rings closer so can fit some smaller scopes better, but I think standard or extended would work with the leupold 2-7. Aero has schematics on their website so you can easily see how they'd fit your scope before you decide on which to buy.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I heard from Wilson Combat today and they're making up a few ultralight barrels with no gas journal/port. I'll be able to get one of them. Exciting news for me!

It might be worth letting them know if you'd be interested in the same. I obviously can't speak for them, but maybe if there's enough interest and demand they'd make a run of them(?). I know nothing about Shaw, but I know Wilson Combat already makes the right contours and chamberings for these rifles as "ultralight ultralights". As a company, they're constantly coming up with new things they put into production, and have been one of the best companys I've purchased from regarding orders, shipping, etc. All my barrels from them have worked well.
Do you mind sharing who you talked to at Wilson Combat? I emailed and got no response then called and was told they wouldn’t do it….anything you can share would be really appreciated- thanks!

Also, Shaw has not replied to my emails either.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Do you mind sharing who you talked to at Wilson Combat? I emailed and got no response then called and was told they wouldn’t do it….anything you can share would be really appreciated- thanks!

Also, Shaw has not replied to my emails either.
I think the barrel I mentioned is a one-off, I don't think they're doing this as a regular thing at this time. I was corresponding a little with Bill Wilson on a HAM'R thread on another board. I think he thought the idea was interesting and is going to build one. I guess he's making up a couple of improved barrels and is making me one as well out of "the goodness of his heart".

I would just let them know you'd be interested in barrel(s) without gas blocks. Maybe if they hear enough interest they'd consider it. As I said though, I can't speak for them in any way. StupidLightweight mentioned he got a barrel from them sans gas block, so he might have more info.

I haven't heard from Shaw either but at least they should be hearing from interested parties to help gauge demand.

On a final note, I did hear from Solo that he's looking to start selling rifle length barrels. I'll make a separate post about that so it's more visible.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Solo300 is planning on starting to sell rifle length barrels for the Solo300 action, likely in part from people here ordering uppers for rifles. He is interested in knowing what chamberings would be most popular.

Solo has been (obviously) focused on 300 Blackout, but I don't think that's as big an interest for these type of builds.

My guess is 300 HAM'R and 5.56/223 Wylde, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, if you're building one of these as rifles, what chamberings are you most interested in?

Wilfred

FNG
Solo300 is planning on starting to sell rifle length barrels for the Solo300 action, likely in part from people here ordering uppers for rifles. He is interested in knowing what chamberings would be most popular.

Solo has been (obviously) focused on 300 Blackout, but I don't think that's as big an interest for these type of builds.

My guess is 300 HAM'R and 5.56/223 Wylde, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, if you're building one of these as rifles, what chamberings are you most interested in?
Just finished putting one together with a 5.56 barrel and reversed, cut down gas block. Would likely replace that barrel with unported 5.56 and a 300 Ham’r barrels, should they become available. This rig with a pcc hand guard is about as easy a switch barrel system as one could imagine.