Tired of former pro athletes turned hunting celebs?

semasko

FNG
I think I've only seen one name of a pro-athlete mentioned in this thread - Jody Davis. Who are all the other ones that started YT channels and podcasts?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm aware of a couple hockey guys with their own business for hunting apparel. Without knowing the whole story, they probably love hunting and are hard workers.
Flip side is a brand spokesperson like Shac selling the General car insurance.
Shaq is a part owner of The General. They insured him back when he was young and had a bad driving record. When he made his money he remembered that and invested in it. He also owns part of Papa John's and Gold Bond/Icy Hot. Some aren't paid, some are invested.

I've yet to recognize a single name except Shaq, Rogan, and Merriam webster..

What I've picked up on is:
If you use a guide-bad
If you are an athlete getting into a hobby-bad
If you make money that affords you hunting-bad
If you are popular for some other reason, and then get into hunting - bad
If you talk about out west-bad
If you talk about hunting, but aren't RS approved experience-o-meter to do that on all these apparently syndicated networks, bad

I mean, why doesn't EXO, SO, SG, IA, MR, ETC send packs to be reviewed and tested to only FNG here? Why do these hunting celebs here get to post and influence us on reviews? (See where I'm going?)

Live, and let live. I'm as interested in the story of and the experience of a $100,000 hunt with planes trains automobiles and professional athletes as I am about the first hunt with $100 worth of gear and zero experience. Neither is more or less noble, but two different experiences and I bet 2 good stories.

Some get it, some dont:

My biggest take away from this entire thread is that it has very little to do with “celebrity” hunters and more about them telling everyone how great it is to hunt out west and people wanting to do just that.

Total hunter numbers are only slightly above the 15 year average for the whole country, the difference is that more hunters want to hunt out west and are less intimidated by the process due to the wealth of information now available.
The only thing that I find lame is when some rich dudes that hire a guide to find success by hitting the easy button. Celebrities, athletes, racing team owners, ect…. Then they act like they are in the fraternity of hunters after they give it a solid three day hunt that “pushed ‘em to their limits@ 😂. They haven’t earned their stripes in my opinion, even if a camera follows them around or if they have a full trophy room that took four years to fill and a $100,000 to do it.

No guides wiping their ass, DIY hunting and figuring it out yourself is makes you a hunter who respects what it takes to earn a “trophy”. Of which could be a public land doe for the beginner.
How do you know their experience in the field?
I am not tired of it because I didn't know it was a thing. Try the not knowing it is thing thing. It works.
I hear about lose of opportunity but i still havent found enough time to take advantage of all the opportunity. I hunted well over 60 days this year and feel i left alot on the table.
That podcast was tough one. I listen to Rogan semi-regularly and at first I liked the hunting conversation him and Derek Wolfe were having. But then they go on and on about how great elk meat is, how everyone should experience the bugle of a bull elk, how almost religious the experience is. Oh, but by the way, we just go hunt Utah on landowner tags.

Nothing wrong with them doing that with their money, but they’re clearly out of touch with the situation the majority of hunters are in. They think they’re promoting a noble endeavor but in reality they’re ruining it.
These threads are always a roller coaster and really fun to see what the first post says versus what the real reason is.

Do I like hunting celebrities? No, not really but I have learned one thing. If you start to get into the weeds about how someone makes a living and/or what jobs are necessary/valuable/meaningful/etc. You are in for a bad time.

JjamesIII

WKR
I've yet to recognize a single name except Shaq, Rogan, and Merriam webster..

What I've picked up on is:
If you use a guide-bad
If you are an athlete getting into a hobby-bad
If you make money that affords you hunting-bad
If you are popular for some other reason, and then get into hunting - bad
If you talk about out west-bad
If you talk about hunting, but aren't RS approved experience-o-meter to do that on all these apparently syndicated networks, bad

I mean, why doesn't EXO, SO, SG, IA, MR, ETC send packs to be reviewed and tested to only FNG here? Why do these hunting celebs here get to post and influence us on reviews? (See where I'm going?)

Live, and let live. I'm as interested in the story of and the experience of a $100,000 hunt with planes trains automobiles and professional athletes as I am about the first hunt with $100 worth of gear and zero experience. Neither is more or less noble, but two different experiences and I bet 2 good stories.

Some get it, some don’t

JjamesIII

WKR
Yes, “bad” - a poser throws money at a guide who has locked up a bunch of private leases for exclusive right to hunt the area. Then the “client” leaves a posh hunting resort to ride in a razor up a private road to shoot a once in a lifetime (normally) animal. Then rides back to the resort and gets on his podcast to revel to his audience in the experience of his “hunt” while the guide processes the celebrity hunters “harvest”.
-so you think this guy should hang his hat on that experience and brag to the world that he’s a “hunter”??? Is that “good” enough and does that define your experience of what hunting is about?

If these people want to kill crap with a guide while a couple of camera men stumble around with them- I honestly don’t care. To some that is super compelling. Just don’t go and film it, put it on social, and podcast about the experience like it’s representing hunting- it’s a joke. Say it isn’t.

Yes, “bad” - a poser throws money at a guide who has locked up a bunch of private leases for exclusive right to hunt the area. Then the “client” leaves a posh hunting resort to ride in a razor up a private road to shoot a once in a lifetime (normally) animal. Then rides back to the resort and gets on his podcast to revel to his audience in the experience of his “hunt” while the guide processes the celebrity hunters “harvest”.
-so you think this guy should hang his hat on that experience and brag to the world that he’s a “hunter”??? Is that “good” enough and does that define your experience of what hunting is about?
Hunting is an experience first and foremost, the yields of which can be tangible (harvesting meat) or intangible (memory).

If that is how someone enjoys the experience, who am I to tell them that's not hunting? It's their hunting, it may not be my hunting, and I'm always willing to try your hunting out.

Duck hunting seems like shooting fish in a barrel, should i tell all the duck hunters thats not hunting because you didn't go theough xyz? Or should they tell me what i do isnt hunting because no boats, dogs and shotguns are involved?

see how stupid that sounds?

If these people want to kill crap with a guide while a couple of camera men stumble around with them- I honestly don’t care. To some that is super compelling. Just don’t go and film it, put it on social, and podcast about the experience like it’s representing hunting- it’s a joke. Say it isn’t.
Seems like you do care, a lot.

It represents hunting to them. Move on, if it ain't your hunting.

KurtR

WKR

Who are you to decide what hunting is to any one? I havent went on a guided hunt but would and wouldnt feel any different about an animal i killed there vs the ones i have killed on public. Not every hunt has to be a ball buster suckfest.

2531usmc

WKR
I don’t watch any hunting shows so I wouldn’t know who is doing what. I hunt public land and can’t use most of what they try to sell so I don’t watch. The shows are 5 minutes of hunting and 25 of advertising for whatever they are selling.
This is exactly why I don’t watch hunting shows on the TV channels. Nothing more than lingering closeups of outdoor products.

However, most of the non-commercial, homemade, hunting shows on YouTube are excellent

PMcGee

WKR
I get you are trying to prove a point about a definition but its not productive.

Forums have been around since the birth of the internet. You had to first be interested in hunting prior to finding a forum about hunting.

IG, FB, YT, podcasting, etc have changed the game in marketing to literally 100s of millions instantly.

To those who would rather we not "complain" on a hungting forum, where else? Our FBs and IGs we dont have? I totally see how it can be annoying, and I hate feeling like I have to, but I feel too strongly the message needs to spread. And I dont see the harm in spreading a message respectively, which probably at some point I failed on that part. Listening to the hunt quietly has help me through, there may be small movement that could enact some sort of change years down the road :)

I’m on FB and Instagram and don’t get any random posts about stuff I’m not interested in. If people are seeing this stuff on social media anywhere they already have an interest in it. Besides maybe Rogan I think you have to have an interest in hunting to see this stuff. I wasn’t on any social media besides forums when I started hunting out west. Forum’s got me and many others I know into western hunting. Does that make them bad? I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For one they are all too willing to share every detail on podcasts. Plus if you have worked in the outfitting profession as long as I have you know other guides/outfitters they have used.
As a guide, are you not a tertiary means to the self-professed concept that these clients on guided hunts are wrecking the industry?

Like cirrhosis, tends to be alcohol. Is the problem alcohol (guide) or cirrhosis(guided client)

Food for thought.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
As a guide, are you not a tertiary means to the self-professed concept that these clients on guided hunts are wrecking the industry?

Like cirrhosis, tends to be alcohol. Is the problem alcohol (guide) or cirrhosis(guided client)

Food for thought.
Being an individual guide in a place where the government mandates nonresidents to have a guide in order to hunt seems far from having hundreds of thousands if not millions of followers watching you promote something.

Last edited:
Being an individual guide in a place where the government mandates nonresidents to have a guide in order to hunt seems far from having hundreds of thousands if not millions of followers watching you promote something. I post no pictures, I have no following, and I don't pick and choose who my clients are (that's up to the outfitter who doesn't take on clients who want to film).
If Michael Jordan called up your outfitter, do you really think the outfitter will say "hey bub, no photos, video, or communication of any kind. reproduction of any events are strictly prohibited"?

And do you think MJ is going to bash, move on to someone else, or hunt and post his pics anyway?

you can solely blame a famous client, without laying blame in the same on the guide/outfitter, from the perspective of guiding famous people who have a following are the root of all evil.

wait so ex pro athletes dont hunt?

This thread is dumb. Its a projection about nothing relevant. Its not based on facts just a perception of he/she has money so they can take what some consider short cuts, weather it’s commute, local expertise, or the nasty “private” word.

I dont care what kids learn from “hunting” shows, if they are out hunting then its a win win.

KurtR

WKR
Being an individual guide in a place where the government mandates nonresidents to have a guide in order to hunt seems far from having hundreds of thousands if not millions of followers watching you promote something. I post no pictures, I have no following, and I don't pick and choose who my clients are (that's up to the outfitter who doesn't take on clients who want to film).
So its ok for you to make a living off the wildlife but not other people. Makes sense

wait so ex pro athletes dont hunt?

This thread is dumb. Its a projection about nothing relevant. Its not based on facts just a perception of he/she has money so they can take what some consider short cuts, weather it’s commute, local expertise, or the nasty “private” word.

I dont care what kids learn from “hunting” shows, if they are out hunting then its a win win.
I mean, i like watching cooking shows.

i stumbled upon "mad good eats". i liked the chef, the show, and the meals he made. even have replicated some.

It wasnt until i looked him up after a few times, i found out he was a NFL player.

Who by the looks of it, and the taste so far, is a pretty decent chef.

......I wonder what Gordon Ramsey, Emril, ratatouille and escoffier think about some jock NFL meathead going into THEIR REALM, COMMERCIALIZING THEIR INDUSTRY, MAKING MONEY AND HAVE MORE VIEWS.........

my guess, they dont care, well, at least 2 of the 4 people mentioned more than likely dont care..

If Michael Jordan called up your outfitter, do you really think the outfitter will say "hey bub, no photos, video, or communication of any kind. reproduction of any events are strictly prohibited"?

And do you think MJ is going to bash, move on to someone else, or hunt and post his pics anyway?

you can solely blame a famous client, without laying blame in the same on the guide/outfitter, from the perspective of guiding famous people who have a following are the root of all evil.
you would be suprised, I’ve hunted with an outfitter with similar type clients, you specifically mention Unit, Outfitter, Ranch, guides or show any thing relevant to location, you wont hunt with him again. I was invited to hunt by one of his clients was only reason I was there. My friend and the outfitters where very specific. My friend didn't want to loose spots that took him a decade to get.

So its ok for you to make a living off the wildlife but not other people. Makes sense
hes not recording, marketing, selling, garnering more views/visits to a website to attract more attention to book more clients to make more, employ more guides, make dreams come true for some, and watch peoples first experiences hunting....

hes just the guide. and please...no photos, videos, sharing or reproducing any content.