Tired of former pro athletes turned hunting celebs?

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
If Michael Jordan called up your outfitter, do you really think the outfitter will say "hey bub, no photos, video, or communication of any kind. reproduction of any events are strictly prohibited"?

And do you think MJ is going to bash, move on to someone else, or hunt and post his pics anyway?

you can solely blame a famous client, without laying blame in the same on the guide/outfitter, from the perspective of guiding famous people who have a following are the root of all evil.

Michael Jordan can’t hunt, if his presence at the offshore tournaments is any indication the man wouldn’t see anything due to the dozens of people hounding him for an autograph. Kinda feel bad for him, dude has to literally drive 100 miles into the ocean to get some piece and quiet without morons following him around and they still manage to crash into his boat at the dock.

We got parked near him during the one tournament, the amount of people doing stupid stuff just to see him sit on his mezzanine and smoke a cigar was appalling.

you would be suprised, I’ve hunted with an outfitter with similar type clients, you specifically mention Unit, Outfitter, Ranch, guides or show any thing relevant to location, you wont hunt with him again. I was invited to hunt by one of his clients was only reason I was there. My friend and the outfitters where very specific. My friend didn't want to loose spots that took him a decade to get.
of which i can understand. but did he allow you to take a picture/video/anything other than menion unit/outfitter/ranch/gps location? (and yes, i am fully aware of how to view the location data relevant to a photo IF its cached on the phote, if where they posted doesnt obscure that data, if this if that.....)

But how many shows, say out of (for instance) all the seasons of meateater, how many times have they said anything like:

"here we are in unit 17x, 5.3 miles due southwest picadillo utah, in the wide open WMA. So we parked at the east side, but realized had we parked on the north, entry to to elk haven at -98.32168 x 38.32168 wouldve been the better strategy."

never.

Michael Jordan can’t hunt, if his presence at the offshore tournaments is any indication the man wouldn’t see anything due to the dozens of people hounding him for an autograph. Kinda feel bad for him, dude has to literally drive 100 miles into the ocean to get some piece and quiet without morons following him around and they still manage to crash into his boat at the dock.

We got parked near him during the one tournament, the amount of people doing stupid stuff just to see him sit on his mezzanine and smoke a cigar was appalling.
heavy is the head that wears the crown!

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
So its ok for you to make a living off the wildlife but not other people. Makes sense
The government requires there to be a guide in order to hunt there unless you are a resident. But hey just continue trolling this thread and picking and choosing out of context information to help out your trolling posts lol

KurtR

WKR
The government requires there to be a guide in order to hunt there unless you are a resident. But hey just continue trolling this thread and picking and choosing out of context information to help out your trolling posts lol
How ever you like to spin it to sleep at night. The context is pretty simple you use the wildlife just the same to make money. Because the govt makes bs regulations does not make it better or more righteous than any one else using the wildlife to make money. Talking out of both sides of your mouth. Whats good for me is not good for other people.

semasko

FNG
Can we get links to several of these pro-athlete YT channels and podcasts? I'm not saying they don't exist, but so far I don't think any context has been provided. Meateater had several pro-athletes as guests on their podcast and show, and from what I gather all those people grew up hunting/fishing prior to being a pro-athlete.

JjamesIII

WKR
Who are you to decide what hunting is to any one? I havent went on a guided hunt but would and wouldnt feel any different about an animal i killed there vs the ones i have killed on public. Not every hunt has to be a ball buster suckfest.
Like I said: have at it if you find the easy button to be the path you choose, it’s ok. It’s your story around the campfire, buddy. But you can’t possibly say it’s the same experience. Not a ball buster casting shade- if you feel the pang of guilt following a guide around to capitalize on his efforts that’s something you need to be comfortable with. Not judging, just the facts. I’m not personally going to put my name as the author to a book I didn’t write.

of which i can understand. but did he allow you to take a picture/video/anything other than menion unit/outfitter/ranch/gps location? (and yes, i am fully aware of how to view the location data relevant to a photo IF its cached on the phote, if where they posted doesnt obscure that data, if this if that.....)

But how many shows, say out of (for instance) all the seasons of meateater, how many times have they said anything like:

"here we are in unit 17x, 5.3 miles due southwest picadillo utah, in the wide open WMA. So we parked at the east side, but realized had we parked on the north, entry to to elk haven at -98.32168 x 38.32168 wouldve been the better strategy."

never.
yes, but he specifically asked not to post any pictures on social media and if sharing to friends(and preferred us not to send out via text) to delete photo info.

meateater has been good and bad. I watched steve mention CO unit on a ML bull. on flip side year later I ran into Janis and Phelps on mountain in another unit. They didn’t show any video that would give unit away nor did they post unit. honestly I was impressed they where hunting OTC units, grant it they started off on private but quickly realized where they needed to be and got there. They would of been 2/2 over labor day weekend if they hadn’t hunted Private first.

Rich M

WKR
For whatever reason, folks like to follow athletes and entertainers.

I love the saying about if I wanted someone-who-chases-ball's opinions, I'll ask my dog. LoL! It pretty much sums it up for me.

I don't know many professional athlete's names or online personas either. Just don't care.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Not enough boats or cigars.
Like I said: have at it if you find the easy button to be the path you choose, it’s ok. It’s your story around the campfire, buddy. But you can’t possibly say it’s the same experience. Not a ball buster casting shade- if you feel the pang of guilt following a guide around to capitalize on his efforts that’s something you need to be comfortable with. Not judging, just the facts. I’m not personally going to put my name as the author to a book I didn’t write.
I have not been on any western guided hunts but I do know some people who have and by the time all is said and done it costs them roughly $15,000 for the trip. I don’t know about you but I don’t have $15,000 to piss down the drain to come back empty handed and if hiring a guide is the difference between getting an animal and not then I’m paying the guide every time.

I’ll make it hard on myself hunting whitetails here in PA where it costs me $100 for my license and does tags.

KurtR

WKR
No facts at all just your opinion.

LoggerDan

WKR
This thread reeks of so much shit being thrown out by bored people.
Some of you dudes are just gluttons for ire. Pissed off at somet you don’t even watch. Pissed that “Troy Aikemen” or “some other athlete“ is telling the world that they’re down in unit such and such down here in beautiful NM, a unit you may have nev even put in for. Just pissed at the idea that someone else is hunting something with success and is going to ruin it before you get your chance.

This thread reeks of so much shit being thrown out by bored people.
Some of you dudes are just gluttons for ire. Pissed off at somet you don’t even watch. Pissed that “Troy Aikemen” or “some other athlete“ is telling the world that they’re down in unit such and such down here in beautiful NM, a unit you may have nev even put in for. Just pissed at the idea that someone else is hunting something with success and is going to ruin it before you get your chance.
agreed.

but I will 9 times out of 10, if you ask, ill plainly tell you when/where. from big game to squirrel, from catfishing to trout and bluegill

i got secrets worth keeping, and it aint my hunting/fishing spots.

besides, whos dumb enough to bury the bodies at their honeyhole? i mean, cmon, logistically, poor idea.

I dont get tired of anything because if it troubles me in the least I don't subject myself to it. Its not the old days where if you wanted to watch outdoor programming you had your choice of ten shows. There is plenty of programming so i just move along if I dont care for whats on.

180ls1

WKR
Former pro athlete here. Most of them grew up hunting and fishing.

That said, a large portion of the "blame" belongs on the shoulders of fellow hunters/Americans. There are a lot of people who like watching celebrities and "associating" with them.

Dschwan

WKR
And we continue to eat our own. Soon this Rokslide will have threads titled" how deep should I plant my sausage seeds" and "6.5 CM big enough for a 15# head of cabbage" and we won't have to worry about hunting Like others have said this thread has become a bashing contest of FELLOW members who was wanting to have a discussion. Maybe the whole Lil-Rockslider and WKR ranks have us going into the bathroom with a ruler to see if we measure up?

Stalker69

WKR
Weather there pro athletes, hunters, movie stars, all hunting shows are the same. A way to sell goods,( a big ass comercial) period. I quit watching them long ago.