Tired of former pro athletes turned hunting celebs?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I agree and I already do avoid watching/listening/buying from these companies. Yet the machine keeps on rolling forward, so that's why I wonder who actually is buying into this stuff.
If you already don't watch/stream/listen/buy from said companies, how do you know who these alleged former professional athletes are and that they are starting hunting shows in droves????

If you already don't watch/stream/listen/buy from said companies, how do you know who these alleged former professional athletes are and that they are starting hunting shows in droves????
internet cookies.....he probably got tired of suggested videos on his youtube account....

And we continue to eat our own. Soon this Rokslide will have threads titled" how deep should I plant my sausage seeds" and "6.5 CM big enough for a 15# head of cabbage" and we won't have to worry about hunting Like others have said this thread has become a bashing contest of FELLOW members who was wanting to have a discussion. Maybe the whole Lil-Rockslider and WKR ranks have us going into the bathroom with a ruler to see if we measure up?
id say on that, while there is a bash here and there on this thread, and others, you cant expect to make a post damning the client, state your occupation as a guide, and not expect flak...

hell, look at what occurred with Seek Outside and having a dude on their podcast, and members reactions.

its like voting for a candidate who is pro-0-carbon footprint, then complaining that you lost your job at the factory because the EPA shut them down. you voting for that candidate, who helped passed that law, were part of what led you to losing your job

No I'm not limiting my dislike to just athletes as influencers in general create this problem. My issue pertaining to this thread though is that you have already famous individuals with large followings suddenly start hunting and instead of just enjoying the activity, decide to profit off of it. They do ads, take free gear and start their own YouTube channels/podcasts detailing their hunting experiences, giving new inexperienced hunters advice with no real experience to back it said advice. The YouTube cowboys are bad enough, but they don't have the reach say former big name NFL athletes or UFC fighters have.
You think a free jacket is some sort of significant value or profit to a "big name NFL" player?

For one they are all too willing to share every detail on podcasts. Plus if you have worked in the outfitting profession as long as I have you know other guides/outfitters they have used.
I’m not doubting you. But, it seems to me they are paying your bills so to speak.

A lot of professional athelstes grew up just like a lot of us. Playing sports and mixing hunting when they could. Their professional job took more time from them than likely any of ours. So, they go on guided hunts in between the commitments it takes to be a professional athlete.

Once retired, I’m sure they play catch up on their lost opportunities earlier. I see no negative in it. Nor, does it bother me in the least. It’s ok that it does bother you as well. I’m just stating things the way I see it. Just like you. No problems.

JjamesIII

WKR
I feel like I can't be the only one getting tired of seeing all these former professional athletes/celebrities getting into hunting and being the new poster child for outdoor companies due to their following. It's one thing if they just enjoy hunting and want to participate like everyone else, in that case I'm all for it as everyone has a right to hunt and fish in my mind. However, it feels like every time I look there's a new former professional athlete starting their own hunting show, hunting YouTube channel, hunting podcast, on the cover of hunting magazines, etc. even when they have little to no actual hunting experience. It feels to forced and unauthentic every time I see it as many of them are just using it as a new stream of income. They always rep sellout brands known for using influencers and have to make sure to hashtag every brand they use.

So I guess my question is do other hunters actually enjoy seeing these people contribute to the overcrowding problem and profit off of an activity we love even though they lack the credentials as an outdoorsman? Who actually buys into their BS and follows these people besides brand new hunters who don't know any better yet? I can't be the only one who does an eye roll every time one of these guys starts a new hunting channel/podcast just because they shot one or two critters on a private land outfitted hunt and get free equipment from outdoor companies. I didn't name any individuals or companies by name as I don't love bashing, but it just feels like its getting out of control with the self promotion.
Good thread! I love the bantering. 😂 you really stirred the pot, it’s funny how people get butt hurt over stuff. It makes for some good entertainment.

Stalker69

WKR
The worst one I watched, though not an athlete, was Marcus Terell ( sp), a former service man. He had or was on a show a few times I seen him. And what a douch bag, yelling at the guide, and the guys he was with, throwing a temper tantrum. And if I recall ( and I think I do) he missed an elk like three or four times, after the guide telling him not to shoot. And at pretty close range. Then after finaly hitting it, he went off on the guide. But any way, now I think he is a senator or something down there. Every time I think of terrible hunting shows, or see him, that show pops in my head, above all the other bad ones I have watched.

The worst one I watched, though not an athlete, was Marcus Terell ( sp), a former service man. He had or was on a show a few times I seen him. And what a douch bag, yelling at the guide, and the guys he was with, throwing a temper tantrum. And if I recall ( and I think I do) he missed an elk like three or four times, after the guide telling him not to shoot. And at pretty close range. Then after finaly hitting it, he went off on the guide. But any way, now I think he is a senator or something down there. Every time I think of terrible hunting shows, or see him, that show pops in my head, above all the other bad ones I have watched.
Are you talking about Morgan Luttrell the former Seal that is a Congressman in Texas now? His arguably more well-known brother Marcus was also a Seal.

Stalker69

WKR
I believe his name is Marcus, it was some years ago that I watched hunting shows. He was a military " hero". Maybe it is his brother that is the politician, I just seen him on TV, arguing with Meyorcus and thought that was the same guy. Looks like the guy, that I remember on the hunting show, but way heavier. I didn't know he had a brother, don't know anything about him ( them) other then what I remember on that show. Wasn't impressed.

Last edited:
I believe his name is Marcus, it was some years ago that I watched hunting shows. He was a military " hero". Maybe it is his brother that is the politician, I just seen him on TV, arguing with Meyorcus and thought that was the same guy. Looks like the guy, that I remember on the hunting show, but way heavier. I didn't know he had a brother, don't know anything about him ( them) other then what I remember on that show. Wasn't impressed.
Well, they're twins so they look pretty similar.

KurtR

WKR
here ya go you can read about the guy.

id say on that, while there is a bash here and there on this thread, and others, you cant expect to make a post damning the client, state your occupation as a guide, and not expect flak...

hell, look at what occurred with Seek Outside and having a dude on their podcast, and members reactions.

its like voting for a candidate who is pro-0-carbon footprint, then complaining that you lost your job at the factory because the EPA shut them down. you voting for that candidate, who helped passed that law, were part of what led you to losing your job
People don’t vote on issues though they just vote based on their feelings, like “Orange man bad syndrome” “.

A more realistic scenario is someone voting for someone who is pro 0 carbon footprint (voter has NO IDEA candidate is pro 0 carbon footprint) because they are not the evil Conservative. That person is then surprised the EPA shut down his factory and he loses his job all while STILL having no idea it’s because of the candidate he voted for. He is now jobless and goes on Govt handouts all while believing it’s the greedy orange man’s fault he doesn’t have a job because his social media programmed him to think that way.