The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have both frames now and just got my EMR II, duplex all the way!

Last edited:
EMR looks like a winner. What frame? CB is a nice solid color.

At the moment....none :(

I just sold my AG2 with AG frame (basically a 24" duplex). The frame was nice, but I think I am really a "flat back" guy and want to go to a 26" duplex for 5-9 days hunts and week long backpacking trips, but will also be buying a 24" bikini frame for 2-3 day backpacking trips.

So, I just received my EMRII, and now I just get to look at the bag until a new frame arrives... :(

Stid2677

WKR
Got my new EMR II, went with the long stays and Bikini frame. Loaded it up with some horn and hide from years gone by. Have an Exo frame on order and want to see how that feels too.

P4250232_zps30df578f.jpg

Good morning Steve!!

Looks like it needs a trip to break it in!!

Did you go with the Bikini to save weight? Have you used the Duplex vs Bikini enough to recommend which one to go with for an all around frame for Sheep,
Goat, etc.
All I have ever used is : early ( 60' s era) Camp Trails Freighter, and then a Barneys for the last 30 or so years. I just got a Mystery Ranch crew cab that will
be used for the first time this spring to hopefully pack a bear hide.

Thanks
Bob

The reason I ask is that for the hunts I have planned , I need a pack that will fit into a large (33") Filson duffle that I can travel with on Alaska Airlines to Anchorage to join up with my hunt partner and his Supercub.
That seems to be the best way to travel on the airlines with a pack, especially since the "new" 50 lb weight limit. I can put the pack in, and pack other gearwith it. The Barneys won't work for that, otherwise I would just use it.
Also the MR Crew Cab, EMR 11, etc. , seem to be a lot better for dual use as a daypack, wear all the time type bag, ??

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Good morning Steve!!

Looks like it needs a trip to break it in!!

Did you go with the Bikini to save weight? Have you used the Duplex vs Bikini enough to recommend which one to go with for an all around frame for Sheep,
Goat, etc.
All I have ever used is : early ( 60' s era) Camp Trails Freighter, and then a Barneys for the last 30 or so years. I just got a Mystery Ranch crew cab that will
be used for the first time this spring to hopefully pack a bear hide.

Thanks
Bob

I went with the Bikini since I have a Duplex frame already. For the amount of weight I can pack, the Bikini is probably the best choice for me.

Already have a few miles on mine and will be using it for spring bear. :) Can have a pack that is not bloody.

Hey guys, I'm new to Kifaru and I'm looking at ordering an EMR II and duplex frame and I'm not sure on which color to go with. I was leaning towards the Highlander originally, but the CB and Foliage look really good as well. I mainly do elk and mule deer hunts in Colorado and NM. Which of the three colors works best, and what about for the frame?

Got my EMRII on friday and loaded it up with 80lbs for a quick 5 mile hike. I thought the Duplex frame was very comfortable. I went with a former army ranger and a former marine scout sniper so these guys know all about packing heavy weight, both were very impressed and stole my Kifaru sticker. Will try to post some pictures this week.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't think one solid color is going to work better then the other (it's more if a personal choice/taste thing).

Hey guys, I'm new to Kifaru and I'm looking at ordering an EMR II and duplex frame and I'm not sure on which color to go with. I was leaning towards the Highlander originally, but the CB and Foliage look really good as well. I mainly do elk and mule deer hunts in Colorado and NM. Which of the three colors works best, and what about for the frame?

Alright, quick question on meat hauling or heavy loads...

With my T2 and BT2, the sleeping bag divider was used to keep weight up and off the bottom of the pack.

With the EMR II, I have been stuffing a sleeping bag in the bottom for training hikes to keep the sand bags I use more towards the middle and top of the bag, reducing strain on my lower back. This works fine... But...

What about in the field? What will be the best way to haul meat so that it is kept higher up in the bag instead of at the bottom? I certainly am not going to go out of my way to always have my expensive sleeping bag at the bottom of my pack for meat hauling. Obviously, if I am hauling camp and meat at the same time, that is an option, it just won't be an option for loads of strictly meat/hide, etc.

What is the best option for this?

With my T2 and BT2, the sleeping bag divider was used to keep weight up and off the bottom of the pack.

With the EMR II, I have been stuffing a sleeping bag in the bottom for training hikes to keep the sand bags I use more towards the middle and top of the bag, reducing strain on my lower back. This works fine... But...

What about in the field? What will be the best way to haul meat so that it is kept higher up in the bag instead of at the bottom? I certainly am not going to go out of my way to always have my expensive sleeping bag at the bottom of my pack for meat hauling. Obviously, if I am hauling camp and meat at the same time, that is an option, it just won't be an option for loads of strictly meat/hide, etc.

I would venture to guess people will say the hanging meat Baggie. Or suck in the lower compression straps as tight as you can and load from the top.

Rizzy

WKR
Good question, I've been pondering the same thing and I think this gets overlooked a lot. With my highcamp, I put the sleeping bag below as well. This only works if your carrying a sleeping bag, if your on your second or third trip hauling only meat then.....

If I'm remembering correctly on how the EMR II is built, I plan to try and attach a grab-it to the bottom tabs that are in the pack bag and put the load there.

I have thought about the Grab-it as well as the other technique mentioned with the compression straps. If those are the only options, that is fine but I was thinking there would be something that I had overlooked. The hanging meat bag would work if it was used in conjunction with a trash bag or dry bag, otherwise wouldn't blood be running out of the bottom the entire time?

*I don't care one bit if blood gets on me, my pack or my gear, but I think the amount that would run out of the hanging meat bag, may be a bit excessive.. No?

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Or suck in the lower compression straps as tight as you can and load from the top.

That's exactly what I was told when talking to Kifaru about this exact topic. suck in the lower strap(s) and put the meat on top. If you hauling camp, create a shelf with gear.

the grab it seems like a good option and I'm going to explore that once I get my EMR and grab it.