The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

Ruskin

WKR
So now that folks have had some use with the bag, how are ya'll using the tabs on the inside of the main bag? Are you finding that belt pouches are best or just a chamber pocket and hanging your water is better?

I've got a grab it rigged up in mine. Probably not necessary with all the straps to cinch up the bottom of the bag but sure makes it quick and easy to load heavy items higher in the bag for training purposes.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm just using the hanging water bladder inside mine. I ran it this way all season and it's worked well for how I hunt.

kodiakfly

WKR
I haven't used them yet. I put my water bladder in the inner sleeve on the left wing. I think I'm going to give the hanging bladder thing a shot in the off season and see how I like it.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm using the Hanging water bladder bag for both the bladder and storage as well (not at the same time).

So if I'm using the Nalgen bottle pocket, I keep the Hanging water bladder bag inside for storage (my daily food normally).

kodiakfly

WKR
Here's mine loaded for a well-equipped day hunt and then with my bow on it. This is my first Kifaru and the whole thing has lived up to their reputation. As far as the bag itself, being my first Kifaru I was actually a little intimidated by all the tabs, buckles and adjustments on it. But after using it summer and fall, it all falls into place and this bag has exceeded any expectations I had ordering it. It truly is a day pack or a freighter.

Attachments

• EMRII.jpg
    EMRII.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 303
  • EMRII2.jpg
    EMRII2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Josey D

FNG
Kodiak,
What does your EMR II weigh in at? I keep thinking I want to make the switch over but by the time you put the bag on a duplex with a lid & grab handle I think its more than my current MR 6500 set up. I think there are a couple guys in the Anch. area that have them, i would like to eyeball one & try it on. (Problem is I think both Luke & Nick are about 160lbs if that, & I tip the scales on the other side of 200 even after my new years diet.)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Kodiak,
What does your EMR II weigh in at? I keep thinking I want to make the switch over but by the time you put the bag on a duplex with a lid & grab handle I think its more than my current MR 6500 set up. I think there are a couple guys in the Anch. area that have them, i would like to eyeball one & try it on. (Problem is I think both Luke & Nick are about 160lbs if that, & I tip the scales on the other side of 200 even after my new years diet.)

I went from a Barney's to a MR 6500 back to a Barney's and then to Kifaru. MR packs are way stout no doubt, but even if my EMR 2 was the same weight as a NICE 6500 (its still roughly 2-2.5 pounds lighter than a NICE 6500 I had) the way the Kifaru frames fit me and the layout of the EMR 2 alone would be more than enough to make me stay with Kifaru. The fact that a duplex with an EMR 2 bag are 2+ pounds lighter still than a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 frame/bag is just a bonus.

kodiakfly

WKR
Kodiak,

Hey Josey, just saw this. Sorry.

I just went and did the scientific "step on the scale and then step on the scale with the pack" method and my cheap-o garage scale and my EMRII/Duplex was hovering around 8.0-8.75 lbs with a LH lid, four medium belt pouches, Grab-It II and a gun bearer. So I dunno....6-7-something on it's own? I can say that for as large of a pack as it is, the weight isn't bad at all. My Barney's is lighter bare, but add all that stuff and it'd be similar, maybe a bit less.

If you're ever down here, give me a shout and come try it on.

Josey D

FNG
No problem, thanks for the info. I should be down there around April 22, but by then I will have to have something as I am selling my MR setup. I was going to try & get down for march goats but I have had a couple things come up that has pretty much negated that option. I have a Ungniak Island tag for this spring so that is the current plan. Maybe I can meet you on the way in or out if it works out.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No problem, thanks for the info. I should be down there around April 22, but by then I will have to have something as I am selling my MR setup. I was going to try & get down for march goats but I have had a couple things come up that has pretty much negated that option. I have a Ungniak Island tag for this spring so that is the current plan. Maybe I can meet you on the way in or out if it works out.

JoseyD, if you wanna see an EMR 2 in person then we can meet up and talk packs at some point if you'd like. I'll bring Becca's EMR 2 and not mine as it brand new and doesn't have all the icky blood stains on it yet. ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
PM me your number and I will let ya know when I am coming through and if it works for you I'll through an EMR 2 into the truck.