The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

Shrek,

I am pretty sure the regualr meat bag will still leak due to it being tied off on the bottom, the hanging one looks like seam sealing would be an option. Thanks!

Shrek

WKR
I was thinking of the hanging bag . I don't have a hanging bag but I think that was mentioned by someone else when it was introduced.

i tried like hell to seam seal my meat bag and just cant get it to quit leaking..

when i dont have sleeping bag and other gear to use ill put the load in and lay the pack flat. position the height accordingly and cinch it down. has worked fine for me, assume this will work just as well on the emr. i will probably play with using the grabit too though

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second the garbage bags...
Be sure to use HEAVY DUTY ones.. The thin ones tear real easy.. Heck, I've even torn the contractor grade ones.. I think I am going give Luke's method a try and pick up some of those Large OR dry bags...

The grab-it II inside the bag is certainly an option. Aron could comment as I'm sure he's tried every combination known to man. I was thinking another option could be rigged up using the standard lid if you add the right hardware in the event you don't have a grab it but have a standard lid. I have the standard and long hunter lid.

Shows the pocket made with the grab it.
7amyvequ.jpg

Shows the bottom attachment points I picked to attach the grab it II.
ebe7y4ez.jpg

Shows a bag of meat (or Mater pillow) tucked in.
tupu7yre.jpg

Last edited:

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Garbage bags don't leak and they give you a clean place to trim meat as you bone out your animal. Keep it simple.

I use garbage bags but I put them in a dry bag for the hike out. prevents tearing and blood all over your gear.

Be sure to use HEAVY DUTY ones.. The thin ones tear real easy.. Heck, I've even torn the contractor grade ones.. I think I am going give Luke's method a try and pick up some of those Large OR dry bags...

i am too, i picked up a 35L OR drysack. didnt leak a drop of water when i filled it up. any bigger than that and id put too much in it and not be able to carry it.

Ruskin

WKR
Have you guys considered the sea to summit pack liner dry bags? Water proof, super lite but not indestructible.

Ok guys keeping the weight high is easy!

I tested this already. You basically can create a cinch point with one of the three compression straps. I tested this with a 50 lb bag of sand and it worked great. I might try a heavier load this Sunday and I'll get some pictures to show you how it worked out (assuming the principle stays the same).

FTF, Curious if you tried sealing with some of that spray on water sealer you an get at places like Walmart for tents and shoes.
i tried like hell to seam seal my meat bag and just cant get it to quit leaking..

when i dont have sleeping bag and other gear to use ill put the load in and lay the pack flat. position the height accordingly and cinch it down. has worked fine for me, assume this will work just as well on the emr. i will probably play with using the grabit too though

Rizzy

WKR
I find it a lot easier to put my gear in a dry sack, quarter bag, or trash bag for the pack out rather than putting the meat in one. This way the meat breathes and the gear doesn't get bloody. I like using the BOMB bags for meat, they breath good. I put the bloody pack in the washing machine on the gentle cycle with a drop of Woolite when my wife isn't home if the hose doesn't work good enough. Letting the meat hang overnight before the pack out eliminates a lot of the excessive blood drain.

jlsteel

FNG
I don't carry garbage bags anymore rather I use the dry bags now. Lighter and don't tear so easily.