Suppressor wrap

I'm going to give the carbon felt and coban a shot. I used some 6mm felt from Amazon, did a single layer, and covered with a single layer of coban. I extended it a bit on the barrel side and wrapped the coban tight to try to keep it from scooting forward under recoil, but it may not be necessary. It's pretty darn snug.

I'm didn't seem to increase weight but a half ounce or so.

1000001557.jpg
1000001558.jpg1000001559.jpg

I've got a question for you guys using suppressor covers that have the scythe suppressor or a another suppressor with the brake on it.

I was shooting a couple of groups to see if I am having random flyers with a particular bullet, and didn't realize that my suppressor cover (carbon felt wrapped with coban ) had somehow slipped forward to where it was covering the break ports on my scythe suppressor brake. It had only slipped far enough forward to where it was flush with the end cap on the brake and was covering the ports.

Have any of done that and noticed a change in POI or flyers?

10 or 12 went into an inch or a little less and I know the cover was not covering the brake ports then. In the last five shots the ports were covered and I had three flyers about an inch away, so either the suppressor cover caused it or that load really does produce random flyers.

That load is 112 match burners and h1000 in a throated out 243. It's weird because I'd been getting 10 shot groups an inch or less and then I started getting random flyers that were an inch and a half away from the rest of the group. I had about 150 rounds through the barrel with a good number of h1000, which seems to be real dirty in this cartridge. So I was thinking that maybe the throat was a bit tight and had carbon buildup that needed cleaned out. I cleaned the throat and shot these today. It did the same thing, with the exception of The accidental covering of my suppressor brake ports. So it's not conclusive because of that, but I'm pretty sure this load just likes to produce random flyers which is odd because the 140 match burners out of my 6.5 creedmoor shoot absolutely lights out and they are factory seconds.

I'm going to abandon that load (112mb) for hunting anyway because I get way better accuracy with 108 eldms and it seems to have been pretty worry-free.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Top and bottom are same load but top is first 4-5 shots off clean bore.

1000001687.jpg

How hot is it with the flyers? Maybe you got mirage still despite the carbon felt.

Pretty cool. I only did 5 at a time and let it cool. I didn't ever see any noticeable mirage.

One reason I am pretty sure it's the load producing flyers is that I can be real sloppy with my form shooting the 108s and the worst ones are still within an inch whereas with the 112s I'm highly concentrating and get one that lands 1.5-2" away from center. I was thinking that it's my form, but I went back today with the 108s and they're vastly better.

@pods8 (Rugged Stitching) , Also today, for reference. 6.5cm shot quickly with swfa UL scope and no vertical grip, and the 108eldm with the last 5 rounds shot very quickly and sloppily. Makes me think my gun doesn't actually like the 112/h1000 combo

1000001690.jpg1000001689.jpg

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Pretty cool. I only did 5 at a time and let it cool. I didn't ever see any noticeable mirage.

One reason I am pretty sure it's the load producing flyers is that I can be real sloppy with my form shooting the 108s and the worst ones are still within an inch whereas with the 112s I'm highly concentrating and get one that lands 1.5-2" away from center. I was thinking that it's my form, but I went back today with the 108s and they're vastly better.
I got bad fliers in my 243 with the 112 MBs. Right hand target was 112 MS with various powder charges. Left hand was 108 ELD-Ms with various charges.20240630_073509.jpg

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a question for you guys using suppressor covers that have the scythe suppressor or a another suppressor with the brake on it.

I was shooting a couple of groups to see if I am having random flyers with a particular bullet, and didn't realize that my suppressor cover (carbon felt wrapped with coban ) had somehow slipped forward to where it was covering the break ports on my scythe suppressor brake. It had only slipped far enough forward to where it was flush with the end cap on the brake and was covering the ports.

Have any of done that and noticed a change in POI or flyers?

10 or 12 went into an inch or a little less and I know the cover was not covering the brake ports then. In the last five shots the ports were covered and I had three flyers about an inch away, so either the suppressor cover caused it or that load really does produce random flyers.

That load is 112 match burners and h1000 in a throated out 243. It's weird because I'd been getting 10 shot groups an inch or less and then I started getting random flyers that were an inch and a half away from the rest of the group. I had about 150 rounds through the barrel with a good number of h1000, which seems to be real dirty in this cartridge. So I was thinking that maybe the throat was a bit tight and had carbon buildup that needed cleaned out. I cleaned the throat and shot these today. It did the same thing, with the exception of The accidental covering of my suppressor brake ports. So it's not conclusive because of that, but I'm pretty sure this load just likes to produce random flyers which is odd because the 140 match burners out of my 6.5 creedmoor shoot absolutely lights out and they are factory seconds.

I'm going to abandon that load (112mb) for hunting anyway because I get way better accuracy with 108 eldms and it seems to have been pretty worry-free.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Top and bottom are same load but top is first 4-5 shots off clean bore.

View attachment 769440
I dunno, I don’t think it’s illogical to assume the suppressor cover slipping over the ports would change things down range a bit, I mean you did repeat the pattern a few times, if it were really random wouldn’t the flyers show up somewhere in the first 10-12 shots at least once?

I was recently playing with/developing a load for my 7-08 M70 Featherweight, with a scythe screwed on it, and had the exact same series of events occur with a ColeTac cover that I didn’t crank down the straps tight enough on. After several times of seeing the 10-shot group throw a few flyers about an inch or so out (in this case always around shot #7/10) of an otherwise awesome group, I started to wonder wtf? Looked up and see the braked cap’s gas had shredded the insulation part of the cover a bit and then it dawned on me… that’s a new variable in barrel harmonics right? I mean on a skinny thin barrel, a little goes a long way in terms of altering its behavior/POI.

Got me thinking about the ideas/concepts (whether I believe in them or not) behind barrel tuners, hearing people say certain muzzle brakes made their rifle less/more accurate (debatable if that’s the brake or the reduction in recoil etc) blah blah blah…

All that to say, I took the cover off, and shot a great ten round group with same load an no flyers, even with a good mirage on the last 3 shots.
Accordingly, for this reason and for making it easier to keep rain/debris out of the can/barrel I sucked it up and spent the $85 bucks or whatever on the brakeless Scythe end cap. Also started using a homemade carbon felt+vet wrap+shock cord lacing cover for that suppressor.
Will do more testing soon to confirm, but it seems to me the cover sliding and covering the ports introduces more potential randomness.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I dunno, I don’t think it’s illogical to assume the suppressor cover slipping over the ports would change things down range a bit, I mean you did repeat the pattern a few times, if it were really random wouldn’t the flyers show up somewhere in the first 10-12 shots at least once?

I was recently playing with/developing a load for my 7-08 M70 Featherweight, with a scythe screwed on it, and had the exact same series of events occur with a ColeTac cover that I didn’t crank down the straps tight enough on. After several times of seeing the 10-shot group throw a few flyers about an inch or so out (in this case always around shot #7/10) of an otherwise awesome group, I started to wonder wtf? Looked up and see the braked cap’s gas had shredded the insulation part of the cover a bit and then it dawned on me… that’s a new variable in barrel harmonics right? I mean on a skinny thin barrel, a little goes a long way in terms of altering its behavior/POI.

Got me thinking about the ideas/concepts (whether I believe in them or not) behind barrel tuners, hearing people say certain muzzle brakes made their rifle less/more accurate (debatable if that’s the brake or the reduction in recoil etc) blah blah blah…

All that to say, I took the cover off, and shot a great ten round group with same load an no flyers, even with a good mirage on the last 3 shots.
Accordingly, for this reason and for making it easier to keep rain/debris out of the can/barrel I sucked it up and spent the $85 bucks or whatever on the brakeless Scythe end cap. Also started using a homemade carbon felt+vet wrap+shock cord lacing cover for that suppressor.
Will do more testing soon to confirm, but it seems to me the cover sliding and covering the ports introduces more potential randomness.
Want to add, after every ten shot group and letting barrel cool off, I was shifting the cover back off the ports not really clicking in my head that it took several shots to get it to slide that far forward each group and maybe that’s having an effect.

khuber84

WKR
Want to add, after every ten shot group and letting barrel cool off, I was shifting the cover back off the ports not really clicking in my head that it took several shots to get it to slide that far forward each group and maybe that’s having an effect.
Barrel harmonics are a definite thing with poi shifts. Look at the ideology of tuner muzzle brakes. You're literally changing the position of a small counter weight by 25 thousandths and getting poi and group size changes. I've played with tuners and they do make things happen on target. However I quit using them and go with a more traditional load dev method and the tuning trends to hold up for higher rounds counts in this method VS re-evaluating your muzzle tuner position regularly.

I agree. I think the cover likely did play some part in it. However, that group is very typical of the other groups I'd shot with the 112. Have some all tight together and a few further away, and in the other cases I know the cover wasn't covering the ports. That could have been needing to clean it though.

Regardless, I'm going to use the 108 this season due time then I'll screw w the 112 more later