Suppressor wrap

Geewhiz

WKR
Anyway, for folks that are interested in exploring this concept, here’s a CGS Hyperion with a single layer of silicon tape, covered with a single layer of vet wrap (and another piece of silicone tape at the muzzle to hold down the tail of the vet wrap).

It’s been doing a good job of controlling mirage and I’m impressed with how much heat it’s handled without showing any signs of burning/melting.

View attachment 723564
Does the vet wrap not fry when it gets hot? Just ads a bit more insulation or what?

TheCougar

WKR
Does the vet wrap not fry when it gets hot? Just ads a bit more insulation or what?
Mine didn’t get hot enough to melt. I could still grab the can, but it was uncomfortably hot. Not sure what the melt point is of vet wrap. With only silicone tape, I think you could melt it with sustained shooting. We were firing about 1 round every 1-2 minutes, maybe a little slower than that. I have high hopes for the carbon felt.

Antares

WKR
I have 80 rounds of 6.5CM though it right now. Mirage gets noticeable around shot 10, but I feel like that's acceptable as this is primarily a hunting rifle. I've gotten it pretty darn hot, like hot enough that the wrap it too hot to touch, and yet it seems to be holding up well, certainly better than I expected. I figure if I burn up the vet wrap, I can put on a fresh layer for about $0.05 or just leave it off entirely. I am very curious to see what you guy that are using carbon felt come up with though.

Antares

WKR

Honestly, I'm not sure why I put the vet wrap on. I guess I was trying to protect the silicone tape a little (keep the edges from rolling up), also I really like how grippy the vet wrap is for tightening/loosening the can. Realistically though, I don't think it necessary. I was expecting it to catch on fire immediately and then I'd take it of... but it hasn't yet.

id_jon

WKR
I do the vet wrap over carbon felt method. Shot a 2 day nrl hunter this weekend, but the end of the match, the vet wrap was kinda melty/sticky and gross. Simple to slide the whole thing off, cut the vet wrap, and replace.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I posted in one of the other threads about can covers.

Single layer silicon and vet wrap lasted the Shoot2Hunt school, approximately 600 rounds letting rifles cool.

Came home ran 40 rounds through .223 pretty quick and melted the wrap.

Put a layer of muffler/header wrap over silicone and rewrapped , so far no melt, less mirage, no slip. No idea what the muffler wrap is made of, but very heat resistant.

I care very little about the appearance, but to me it looks fine.

Geewhiz

WKR
I posted in one of the other threads about can covers.

Single layer silicon and vet wrap lasted the Shoot2Hunt school, approximately 600 rounds letting rifles cool.

Came home ran 40 rounds through .223 pretty quick and melted the wrap.

Put a layer of muffler/header wrap over silicone and rewrapped , so far no melt, less mirage, no slip. No idea what the muffler wrap is made of, but very heat resistant.

I care very little about the appearance, but to me it looks fine.
I've got some header wrap that's fiberglass so I suppose you could put vet wrap over that so its not itchy.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
With two layers of 3mm carbon felt I have put 50 308 rounds down a 16.5 inch barrel in less than n hour, hot swapped it (literally drop mag, reach out and unscrew can) to my 223 and put 150 rounds down in the next hour and a half with no mirage issues. The barrel on both rifles was too hot to touch, but I could grab the muffler with my bear hands to swap it.

Removing a wrap and waiting for a can to cool is a waste of time from a mirage and handling the muffler perspective.

kthomas

FNG
I have a few suppressor wraps, and to be honest I'm not 100% happy with any of them.

I have Precision Underground and Rifles Only only wraps, and they work pretty well. But if I was the designer, I would use a different retention system then cords.

There's a company called Scope Chaps (same guy involved in ZCO owns this company), that has a product called Can Chaps, that people like. The downsides are the seam (not really an issue, IMO), and the metal buckles can get hot. I've suggested a different retention system that the owner is looking into, if it materializes I'll definitely buy a few.

When I hunt I don't use suppressor wraps. No need. For target shooting and comps, yes.