Suppressor wait times

It's not unreasonable to think that responding to a boatload of emails from people takes away from their approval numbers.

I think sending an email if you are passed the average wait time makes sense, but sending one before that is probably not helping the archaic process. Yes it sucks, but its a little entitled to demand your application be looked into before the average wait has passed.
We actually agree. I never once said anything about "demanding" an application to be looked into nor did I mention timing. I think it's reasonable to inquire about it once we reach the "normal' wait time. (don't get me started on duration). Like I mentioned before, my last 4 suppressors were going too long, and I received approval the same day I emailed them. 4 times in a row. So unfortunately, I see a trend where they need poking once it's your time. The fact of the matter is it is an outdated process that needs an overhaul. I was just making light of the fact that the word "inconvenience" was used for the ATF when we are having to go through all of this.

We actually agree. I never once said anything about "demanding" an application to be looked into nor did I mention timing. I think it's reasonable to inquire about it once we reach the "normal' wait time. (don't get me started on duration). Like I mentioned before, my last 4 suppressors were going too long, and I received approval the same day I emailed them. 4 times in a row. So unfortunately, I see a trend where they need poking once it's your time. The fact of the matter is it is an outdated process that needs an overhaul. I was just making light of the fact that the word "inconvenience" was used for the ATF when we are having to go through all of this.
My apologies. I half misread your sarcasm and half wanted to make a point that wasn't necessarily directed at you.

It's hard to see the trend where more people are sending inquiries than is likely necessary and not think its adding days to the average. But I also acknowledge they are necessary at some point and can make a difference.

As a side note, there is a Facebook group that people post their approvals. The vast majority of approvals posted are from July thru September. Some as quick as 35 days. I had been eyeing an order for another with plans of waiting for a year and maybe I should have ordered one lol.

Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti
Individual with Capitol Armory
Certified 5/22/2023
Approved today (11/4/2023): 166 days.
Email sent to FBI NICS liaison asking about background check status on 10/30/2023. No response to email.

Now lets hope it shows up from the in-state SOT before I hit the road at the end of the week so I can at least sign for it!

Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti
Individual with Capitol Armory
Certified 5/22/2023
Approved today (11/4/2023): 166 days.
Email sent to FBI NICS liaison asking about background check status on 10/30/2023. No response to email.

Now lets hope it shows up from the in-state SOT before I hit the road at the end of the week so I can at least sign for it!
I'm waiting on an sti from 5/16/2023.

So I'm totally happy for you.......

First one took 267 days. Submitted 8/25/2022, approved 5/19/2023.

Dead Air Mask 22 HD

Sounds like the NICS Liaison for the FBI is no longer responding to background check requests. And the ATF definitely isnt looking in to things for you, so maybe emailing for updates or pressure is a moot point now.

Sounds like the NICS Liaison for the FBI is no longer responding to background check requests. And the ATF definitely isnt looking in to things for you, so maybe emailing for updates or pressure is a moot point now.
I am at about 210 days now. Emailed last week to ATF and FBI and never got a response

362 days emailed a week ago also and no response also. longest i have ever waited since buying the first one way back in 2003.

362 days emailed a week ago also and no response also. longest i have ever waited since buying the first one way back in 2003.
You should reach out to a state representative and fill out the required disclosures for an inquiry. That’s well beyond the current averages.

You should reach out to a state representative and fill out the required disclosures for an inquiry. That’s well beyond the current averages.
Been thinking about doing that. I think I have bought 8 total now and never more than 8 months and some were back when I had to go the sheriff's office for fingerprints.

The system ss so broken it's crazy. I am sure my paperwork is sitting on the bottom if some pile somewhere .

I actually just bought another one about 3 weeks ago and won't be surprised if that get approved first

Maybe a time to use the FOIA?

Maybe a time to use the FOIA?
This is kinda funny. I read a lot on here and am torn with my thoughts and comments as a fellow government worker who deals with many similar issues.

Of course I agree that the oversight is possibly needless and silly. It is there. And quite frankly not likely to change unless the lobbyists turn their attention heavily towards it.

Just for anyone who hasn’t dealt with FOIA requests….here’s how that actually happens inside an organization. Due to the required timelines associated with such, most all other work stops and pivots towards attempting to meet the FOIA request. Then someone in a position of power redacts all things that they feel is sensitive. Then it is released (maybe) and folks get back to work.

Just like emailing and some of the other tactics thrown around on here, although they “may” appear to work for a bit, the system is slowed down because of them having to work those issues (no one extra is hired for the month to answer emails or work FOIA). If the goal is to be a pain in the organizations ass, then it’s a perfect solution. If the goal is to get your suppressor approved quicker, I personally don’t see it helping.

Working house/congress reps I think is a different story and may actually make traction (if the goal is to fix the issue….and not check the status of your can).

Just my 2 cents…again from someone who works like they work.

Last edited:
If the goal is to be a pain in the organizations ass, then it’s a perfect solution. If the goal is to get your suppressor approved quicker, I personally don’t see it helping.
I’m not disagreeing, but it does bother the hell out of me that they take your $200 up front and hold your stamp hostage for 2-15 months (because who tf knows when you’ll get your approval), yet they refuse to give status updates when you are over their advertised avg wait time.

Back