Suppressor wait times getting faster

Just got my can sent to my ffl should I just go ahead and find someone to thread my barrel before I even start the paperwork?

I’m experimenting now. Had two cans in a trust application. One Sept 2023 and one Dec 2023. The Dec was denied due to a sketchy docusign “error” so I resubmitted it Friday 3/15/24 as and individual. We shall see.

H80Hunter

WKR
I think that’s unlikely because it would require a new law to be passed, but I can see them realizing that if the lead time was 3 days and not 9 months they’d probably be able to collect 25x the number of tax stamp fees

Axlrod

WKR
I think that’s unlikely because it would require a new law to be passed, but I can see them realizing that if the lead time was 3 days and not 9 months they’d probably be able to collect 25x the number of tax stamp fees
They are bureaucrats like rats in a maze.
They don't:
Get to keep the $$.
Don't realize anything ever.
Are not forward thinking enough to ever come up with a plan like that.

JjamesIII

WKR
Was pretty surprised that I got approved for a suppressor in 7 weeks. My buddie picked up one in January and it was only a 2.5 month wait. Hopefully this is the new norm.
It’s not- 13 months on one I just got. Totally random, no one has it figured out as to the “wtf?” time frame.

Yea they don’t get the money. It goes into a general fund. If they got to keep the money. It might be quick forsure.

Here is a good podcast. The silencer central guy sheds some light on the atf. I found it interesting.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
With the recent run on suppressors due to the decreased wait times, does anyone have any experience ordering something that is backorder on Silencer Shop? Will doing so get my form 4 in the que? I plan to submit as a trust which I heard current times are 3-6 months, so wondering if I could start the process now (assuming they would be back in stock before the form 4 approval).

Or does the form 4 wait time not start until the suppressor is back in stock, in which case I should hold off until cans are back in stock?

Last edited:
With the recent run on suppressors due to the increased wait times, does anyone have any experience ordering something that is backorder on Silencer Shop? Will doing so get my form 4 in the que? I plan to submit as a trust which I heard current times are 3-6 months, so wondering if I could start the process now (assuming they would be back in stock before the form 4 approval).

Or does the form 4 wait time not start until the suppressor is back in stock, in which case I should hold off until cans are back in stock?

My understanding is that nothing can be done until the surpressor is in stock and a seriel number is in hand. I back ordered a Hyperion K from SilencerShop a few months back during the free tax stamp event and ulitimately canceled it a few weeks later, with nothing haven been started given there was no stock/seriel number to start the process with.

Bluefish

WKR
With the recent run on suppressors due to the decreased wait times, does anyone have any experience ordering something that is backorder on Silencer Shop? Will doing so get my form 4 in the que? I plan to submit as a trust which I heard current times are 3-6 months, so wondering if I could start the process now (assuming they would be back in stock before the form 4 approval).

Since a form 4 is basically a transfer from dealer to an individual or trust, can’t happen until your dealer has the can on his books. Thus back ordering it won’t help with the tax stamp, but will mean you are in line to get a can.

Grundy53

WKR

I just got a backorder filled. The process doesn't start until the backorder is filled. You need a serial number before you can do any paperwork.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

peaches

Lil-Rokslider

I just got another Sparrow from SS. It was in stock and it took 3 weeks to get the form 3 done to transfer to my shop, 1 week to certify. Just 2 days for ATF approval

geoff995

WKR
My understanding is that nothing can be done until the surpressor is in stock and a seriel number is in hand. I back ordered a Hyperion K from SilencerShop a few months back during the free tax stamp event and ulitimately canceled it a few weeks later, with nothing haven been started given there was no stock/seriel number to start the process with.
I also ordered during the free tax stamp event. My Hyperion k arrived at the dealer on Friday 4/5. Backorder was fulfilled mid march.

wesfromky

WKR
If there is one you want, you should backorder it asap. From what I have been hearing, any new stock that comes in is just filling the backorders. So, they will not show as in stock anytime soon. If you can't backorder, then setup a notification alert and be ready to jump pretty quickly.

Also, if you find it in stock somewhere else, you can have it sent to your dealer, and they can add it to your SS account, so all the paperwork is just like if you had bought it from SS. Though, you will pay shipping and a transfer fee to your dealer.

Crh1977

FNG
I just got 1 done in 2 days. Submitted 4/10 and approved 4/12. The supplier I use said they’ve had several approved in 1 day.