Short bed truck sleeping?

yfarm

WKR
Toyed with removing the rear window of the cab and front window of the topper and an accordion gasket to seal the space. Primary goal to air condition the bed, secondary is to sleep comfortably north south with my feet extending into the cab on a removable platform.
I tried one of those tailgate tents that has the tailgate down and the topper window up, worked okay but was noisy and flapped in the wind. Thought about a collapsible hard enclosure for the same function but the windows are easier.

This is the reason I have passed on many good trucks, I need the 6.5 foot bed. Besides not being able to throw a cot in a 5.5 foot bed, my wall tent poles will have to ride diagonally, which eats up space when trying to pack for a week or two in the mountains. I’m waiting till one pops up, but I sure wish Ford would have made more of them.

I also have a 99 tacoma with a 6ft bed and slept in the bed many nights on a lightweight cot. I'd recommend an inexpensive tent and a quality cot and sleeping bag.
I also have a lightweight Viking pop up trailer that I use for extended stays.
If absolutely have to sleep in the bed of a truck then why not get a camper or a roof tent.
It’s much easier to crawl in the bed of your truck and sleep than it is to set up a tent every night. Camper limits where you can go. Cheap tents don’t work well when the weather turns.

I usually sleep under the stars, luckily there’s not many bugs in NM. If bad weather is in the forecast I’ll take out the toolbox and use my Bestop topper. 6.5 foot bed in an F-150.
I did a similar setup in a sand hills unit in NM last year. I ended up dealing with mosquitoes at night and hordes of flies during the day. It made for a long hunt.

I sleep in my 5.5' Tundra bed with a topper....i'm 5'10" and it sucks. Have to sleep corner to corner and with a blow up mattress its wedged in there all goofy. I want to get the 6.5" bed and put a SS topper on it with a pop-up tent mounted on top of that for sleeping. Damn, this thread is going to force me to go spend a bunch of money i don't have.
The mummy shaped ones fit without scrunching. I have the largest size of Xtherm and it fits.

I’ve also considered getting a 5” RV foam mattress and cutting it to form.

TSAMP

WKR
The mummy shaped ones fit without scrunching. I have the largest size of Xtherm and it fits.

I’ve also considered getting a 5” RV foam mattress and cutting it to form.
There are lots of foam mattresses for kids on amazon with a removable sleeve you can wash. I have one that's 5'6 and fits perfectly in my 5.5 ft f150 bed.