After SXS experience, anyone go back to truck or other 4x4?

tdhanses

WKR
I have owned more than a few jeeps, and a Honda pioneer 1000-5. I just sold the Honda. It was an unbelievably capable machine, definetley faster and more capable than any jeep for hunting. I had a roof, windshield and soft rear panel. Back seats were useless. Heat was awful, even with the fan. Dust was the deal breaker. It gets everyplace. Comes through the dash, the stupid doors which don’t seal, the seat, the various bed openings for the back seats. Destroys bow cases, packs, whatever you carry. Optics had to be in weatherproof protected cases. I just got fed up with the trade off. I am now either looking at a used jeep again, 2 door, or a can am defender with a full cab. Leaning defender.
While dust will never fully be removed, i hardly get any in the front, if i open the mid panel thr rear window seems to substantially reduce dust in the back seats/box.

I put heat reflective material on the engine covers which are the floor boards for the rear seats, that and the fan and you don’t feel too much heat back there now but heat will always be an issue with a sxs considering you sit on the motor.

I agree a sxs isn’t for everyone, if dust, hot weather are not your thing then a sxs will lose it’s appeal quickly.

That defender will get hot, i’d look at a northstar polaris with heat/ac and fully sealed cab.

I agree the dust is terrible, but the cargo area is a huge selling point for me over my old ATV. I also can't tell ya how many times I racked my groin against the fuel tank on an ATV from bouncing around on tough trails. Granted, that was a smaller ATV - TRX300

tdhanses

WKR
I agree the dust is terrible, but the cargo area is a huge selling point for me over my old ATV. I also can't tell ya how many times I racked my groin against the fuel tank on an ATV from bouncing around on tough trails. Granted, that was a smaller ATV - TRX300
Get a small tarp and then dust getting on everything isn’t as big of an issue as well but since i put the mid panel on and rear window i get very little dust in mine, you won’t have dust on your face or pile up on the seats. I do find though if the mid panel is closed more dust gets in the back but if open it the rear window seems to work as well. I really only use the mid panel in winter to keep heat in the front. Also on the honda there is a free heater in the winter, there is a little panel below the dash that if you remove will flow hot air from the radiator into the front.

Get a small tarp and then dust getting on everything isn’t as big of an issue as well but since i put the mid panel on and rear window i get very little dust in mine, you won’t have dust on your face or pile up on the seats. I do find though if the mid panel is closed more dust gets in the back but if open it the rear window seems to work as well. I really only use the mid panel in winter to keep heat in the front. Also on the honda there is a free heater in the winter, there is a little panel below the dash that if you remove will flow hot air from the radiator into the front.
The heat in the winter is nice in the Pioneer. When I ordered mine , I was going to have a heater put in. The salesman talked me out of it. It stays pretty warm in there without it.

I don't ride with others, so at least I'm not getting dust kicked up in front of me. The dust was solved by getting rid of the 1/4 windshield that came with my buggy when I got it (2nd owner) and putting the S-ATV windshield on, along with the extender a guy was selling on the HondaSXS forum a while ago (dunno if he still makes them). There is a lot of dust that gets kicked up from the front tires into the cab; I just accept that as a 'cost of doing business.' Dust is just a fact of life in AZ - my truck was parked in my driveway for a few weeks and was covered in a thick layer of dust.

I also installed the "updated" plastic/rubber flap behind the shifter holes from newer models on my 2016. That helped with some of the heat, as did putting some bubble-foil insulation under the seat. That was "good enough" for my situation.

When it's 100+ out, SXS or not, I have zero desire to be in a vehicle that doesn't have A/C; so the buggy doesn't get used for a few months out of the year. When it's actually winter/hunting season.... the little bit of heat that comes through still is welcome.

Howdy Partner

Lil-Rokslider
Gate all the roads at the asphalt.
2many people with 2easy access these days.
Our natural resources are paying the price!!!!!!!!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Most of the trails around me that I hunt and run traps off of are 50" width restricted. You aren't taking a Jeep or a Samurai or regular SXS down those. Use a 4 wheeler now, but a 50" SXS is in the works because of carrying capacity and comfort.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Not us, but we hunted with some guys who were vehemently against side by sides for the longest time. They were from Moab and were convinced a Jeep was the only way to go.

Then the next year, we showed up in camp and they had a brand new Yamaha Rhino (+/- 2008). They drove it all over and loved it, or so they thought.

Then after a few years they went back to a TJ and haven't owned a side by side since.

Their reasoning was that a Side by Side didn't get you anything over an ATV other than sitting side by side with your hunting partner, and the bed. You still froze your nay-nays off on a cold morning, still would get wet in the rain, still were covered in dust from following guys in front of you, all the things they hated about riding an ATV. Except the side by side cost them WAY more than an ATV.

Nowadays, you can buy a SxS with all the enclosure and heaters and everything, but you're into it like $25k. At that point, buy yourself a 4 door JK Rubicon. Sure, you can put a street legal kit on your side by side, but the Rubicon will cruise down the highway at 80 with the cruise set.

Then, when you get to where you're hunting, you disconnect the swaybar, air the tires down to 10 PSI and throw the lockers in and go anywhere a SxS will go, all with heat and AC and without eating dust. We've taken our old TJ on trails that made guys with SxS pucker, most recently on an elk hunt where we watched some guys laugh as we started down the trail and they hollered that we wouldn't make it. When we made it and came back out later and they watched us come out the trail after a few hours of glassing elk, they were dumbfounded. A Jeep is far more versatile and capable, IME. Best part was that 2 Door TJ cost us $5k with the air lockers, winch, and 4 inch lift already installed. You can't hardly get a base model SxS with a burned up motor for $5k.

That's why they got away from them, they discovered they could build a Jeep that will check more boxes and be more "well rounded" for multiple uses for less money overall.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...
You nailed it man. 👏 bought sums it up... more well rounded for less cost and they still roll down the highway well.

just.mark

FNG
I have a ram 2500 pavement princess, a modified jeep JKU and considerable experience on SxS and ATV's for work. The number one advantage to ATV's and SxS is the maintenance cost. They are cheaper to own and way cheaper to fix. The jeep has all the advantages already mentioned plus if you really want to pass all the atvs and SxS a good set of shocks go a long way but your going pay. I finally blew out the stock stocks and replaced them with fox racing reservoir shocks and now my problem is keeping my speed down on the logging roads. Having said all that especially with the theme of this site I feel a good truck that gets you to a locked gate is the way to go. Any place that vehicles can get to will be saturated with hunters any how it's just how it is now. Maybe the best vehicle is your feet.

Lytro

WKR
I despise using my SXS for hunting. I'd rather take my truck so I can keep the dust off and be able to secure my gear I leave behind. It's a great ice fishing rig if the snow isn't too deep though.

OP
L
Well, last fall I sold my Talon (4 seater) which was great in so many ways, for a Lexus LX470 I had been hearing so many people rave about. Worked out fantastic on an antelope hunt that took me on far worse "roads" than all my elk hunting where I mainly just head to an access spot.

I think it was an easier decision for me because I just haven't been on so many super rough roads where the SXS was such a big improvement. If I was scouting lots of areas or traveling tons of miles then it has value, but at 52, my speed is always slow due to blind corners, always assuming someone is coming the other way. Due to this, my travel time isn't THAT much different than my SXS.

Really loving the quiet and climate control too. I rough it enough on the mountain that I'm fine being comfortable on the way there and back.

If my normal hunting roads were littered with 20+ mile runs of big potholes, brutal washboards and small boulders, then a SXS would be for me. Since that's not my reality, this 2005 Lexus comes in $10k+ less than the SXS and trailer.

So far so good with the capable SUV on the largest tires that fit without a lift. Just could use a roof rack to hold coolers and spare gas cans before Sept. Elk season. Will see how things go then...

Cheers

s

IMG_6023.jpeg68805820741__89197E03-30A9-4373-8DF4-F81954BBB2A4.jpeg
IMG_6036.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 10