Chevrolet Colorado as a daily driver?

I didn't want to derail the other thread ongoing about "mid sized" trucks. But wanted some feedback from Colorado owners/users. I spoke to some kat this week that had a COMPLETELY decked out ZR2. For "overlanding". The term really makes my skin crawl. He seemed Normal. Mustache was not waxed. Hat brim wasn't flat. He re-geared to 4:10s. Swing out home made tire carrier. Roof Top tent. Punk rock Snorkel kit (sigh) and 34" tires going to 35s. Said 25mpg with the mini diesel.

That's the part that really interests me. The mini diesel.

I am NOT a die hard Diesel nerd. But all 3 of my last trucks have been diesel. A micro diesel that sips fuel and has a little torque is appealing to me.

The YT vids generally show the ZR2 version kicks major ass. Locking diffs front and rear? That's huge to me. Just for the self recovery aspect of back country hunting/travel. I hunt solo and have zero friends. Hemmed up two states away is a major issue for me...or rather the Fear Of.

I've racked out in my wife's Outback on a handful of occasions. A 5ft bed really is a No Go for me. But about all that's offered in a mini truck anymore. Anyone sleep in the bed? I am not very tall, but even diagonal would seem to not work very well.

Any comments on fuel mileage, warranty, reliability and cold weather starts would be appreciated.

I don't think I am in the market currently. But possibly within the next year. I believe the 2022 ZR1 would be the last of the Crew Cab/6ft bed options, but then you lose the dual lockers and solid drive train?

Lastly, building these online, they're $49,000 trucks. That sound correct for actual prices on the lot?

CorbLand

WKR
I cant comment on the diesels or really anything long term about the Colorado's.

We had as a company vehicle for a place I worked at. It was used for running stuff around town or going and picking stuff up (~100 miles round trip). I loved that little pickup for what it was and have looked at buying one for myself. It never gave us problems.

People also speak highly of the newer Ford Rangers which are similar.

Wife has a 2016 gasser Z71 and it's a great little truck, handles the mountains way better than my big 3/4 ton. She tows our camper with it and boat on occasion as well, handles pretty well. Price she paid new was about $45k but I wasn't there to negotiate.

I didn't want to derail the other thread ongoing about "mid sized" trucks. But wanted some feedback from Colorado owners/users. I spoke to some kat this week that had a COMPLETELY decked out ZR2. For "overlanding". The term really makes my skin crawl. He seemed Normal. Mustache was not waxed. Hat brim wasn't flat. He re-geared to 4:10s. Swing out home made tire carrier. Roof Top tent. Punk rock Snorkel kit (sigh) and 34" tires going to 35s. Said 25mpg with the mini diesel.

That's the part that really interests me. The mini diesel.

I am NOT a die hard Diesel nerd. But all 3 of my last trucks have been diesel. A micro diesel that sips fuel and has a little torque is appealing to me.

The YT vids generally show the ZR2 version kicks major ass. Locking diffs front and rear? That's huge to me. Just for the self recovery aspect of back country hunting/travel. I hunt solo and have zero friends. Hemmed up two states away is a major issue for me...or rather the Fear Of.

I've racked out in my wife's Outback on a handful of occasions. A 5ft bed really is a No Go for me. But about all that's offered in a mini truck anymore. Anyone sleep in the bed? I am not very tall, but even diagonal would seem to not work very well.

Any comments on fuel mileage, warranty, reliability and cold weather starts would be appreciated.

I don't think I am in the market currently. But possibly within the next year. I believe the 2022 ZR1 would be the last of the Crew Cab/6ft bed options, but then you lose the dual lockers and solid drive train?

Lastly, building these online, they're $49,000 trucks. That sound correct for actual prices on the lot?
I have had 2 Colorado zr2, and they are my favorite vehicle currently produced… kinda a fanboy probably at this point.

If the weather is good, I have no issues dropping the tailgate and sleeping in the bed, I’m 6’ even.

I have the gas version, thought about getting the diesel the last time but I figured I would miss the get up and go of the gasser, I like that motor.

I get 17.5mpg average

FLATHEAD

WKR
Had a 2016 for a work truck for 4 years.
Only problem I had was getting it OUT of 4wd, every, single, time.
Other than that, the 4 cylinder gas was a slug.
But not a bad truck.
It had 65K on it when I got rear-ended/totalled.

280Ackley

WKR
I drive my GMC CANYON almost daily to work which is 72 miles away. I like it a lot more than the Silverados and F150 I used to drive for work. I average 27.6 mpg setting the cruise at 71. That’s pulling a 8 mile grade every day.

17Hunter

FNG
I have a 2020 Z71, 6 foot bed and the mini dura max. It averages 25-26 between highway and city driving. On a good day it will get 31-32 mpg on the highway if i keep it under 2,000 rpm, 76-77 mph. Uses 4 gallons of def per 3,000-3,500 miles and the fuel filters last 35-37K miles. So far I am very happy with it.

GM is dropping the long bed and diesel for 2023.

The 2023 body style and interior layout look much nicer than the current models.

Mosby

WKR
I have a 2018 ZR2 w/diesel. I really like it. Great for hunting. I can go anywhere. Big enough to haul what I need and small enough to go up and down jeep trails. Most of the time its just me and my hunting dogs. I get a little over 24 mpg driving around area. Towing is limited to 5000 lb but I don't tow much and has enough for my small utility trailer during elk season. I would buy again.

My buddy’s dad still rocks an S10 to this day. I’m sure they replaced that with the Colorado. They must be decent most of our advanced auto parts have a few of them and run parts around with em. My buddies dad is looking for me one. He collects them lol.

tdhanses

WKR
He is probably getting tired of replacing rusted quarter panels with every oil change.
That is hilarious and so true! Don’t forget replacing the front end every 25k. After owning a number of Ram’s, I’ll take a GM or Ford over one any day.