Need a new truck- no clue what direction

svivian

WKR
The most reliable vehicle you can own now days is a 3/4 ton truck with a big bore gasser engine and drive/use it like a half ton truck 99% of the time. Modern diesels are far from reliable long term. All the modern emissions stuff is terrible for power train longevity, ask me how I found that one out the hard way. I'd go with a heavy half ton setup or a 3/.4 ton gasser setup all day long. Only get a modern diesel if you tow heavy loads on a weekly basis.
Not questioning the reliability aspect of this but damn those 6.2 F250 are gutless bastards. I had to use one to tow a 10K trailer to Arkansas from Grand Junction and over the passes I could barely do 60mph while almost redlined. Got 9mpg avg for the trip when I normally get 14mpg with the same load in my 6.7 350.

As somebody that buys a lot of cars….experience has shown me that this is about as far from the truth as you can get…
I have about 12 years and $50,000 experience on which to draw on my Toyota knowledge.
I can list the facts for you if you want to learn more.

One car doesn’t make a trend. I bought 317 cars last month, but always willing to learn!
How many did you use exclusively as your personal daily driver for 16 years and turn your own wrenches?
That will tell me more than 317 flips.
My answer is two...a Tacoma and an F150.
I was cursed with an engineering background.
What other people can overlook needs to be fixed by me.
Ford has designed and engineered WAAAYYY past Toyota.
Ram is pretty solid, too.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How many did you use exclusively as your personal daily driver for 16 years and turn your own wrenches?
That will tell me more than 317 flips.
My answer is two...a Tacoma and an F150.
I was cursed with an engineering background.
What other people can overlook needs to be fixed by me.
Ford has designed and engineered WAAAYYY past Toyota.
Ram is pretty solid, too.
Like I said, 1 car doesn’t make a trend. But you’re obviously the expert now so good luck!

I live cars every hour of the day. I see 1000s a month. Tell us more about your 2 cars in 12 years…

Like I said, 1 car doesn’t make a trend. But you’re obviously the expert now so good luck!

I live cars every hour of the day. I see 1000s a month. Tell us more about your 2 cars in 12 years…
You're obviously a dealer or wholesaler.
The idea that you 'liver cars every hour of the day' and 'see 1000s a month' would infer that you're quite the expert.
How many of those '1000s a month' have rust holes in the frame greater than 10mm and therefore, un-roadworthy? I'm sure you're familiar with that spec for the Toyota frame rust recall on Tacomas...

How many of those '1000s a month' are Tacomas with the 3-leaf spring pack that required a recall and was dangerous to drive, not just embarassing riding on the frame rails?

As an expert that sees 1000s a month, how well does a Tacoma 6sp manual reverse up any sort of grade?...Add a minimal trailer...BTW, as an expert, what is the tow rating and how comically unrealistic is it?
We need your expert analysis since you see 1000s a month and my measly 12 years of ownership is worthless and pathetic.

I can keep this up all day but I think the readers can equate you to the know-it-all that works in the gun shop that tries to mask their insecurity with bold, inaccurate statements.

BTW, you know how much $ I sold that POS Tacoma with the rusted frame and replacement parts all over to make it a semi-decent driver?....$12,750 to a wholesaler who gave it a buff and peddled it for over $17k to a complete sucker.
Poor kid.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You're obviously a dealer or wholesaler.
The idea that you 'liver cars every hour of the day' and 'see 1000s a month' would infer that you're quite the expert.
How many of those '1000s a month' have rust holes in the frame greater than 10mm and therefore, un-roadworthy? I'm sure you're familiar with that spec for the Toyota frame rust recall on Tacomas...

How many of those '1000s a month' are Tacomas with the 3-leaf spring pack that required a recall and was dangerous to drive, not just embarassing riding on the frame rails?

As an expert that sees 1000s a month, how well does a Tacoma 6sp manual reverse up any sort of grade?...Add a minimal trailer...BTW, as an expert, what is the tow rating and how comically unrealistic is it?
We need your expert analysis since you see 1000s a month and my measly 12 years of ownership is worthless and pathetic.

I can keep this up all day but I think the readers can equate you to the know-it-all that works in the gun shop that tries to mask their insecurity with bold, inaccurate statements.

BTW, you know how much $ I sold that POS Tacoma with the rusted frame and replacement parts all over to make it a semi-decent driver?....$12,750 to a wholesaler who gave it a buff and peddled it for over $17k to a complete sucker.
Poor kid.
If you were towing with a tacoma then that says enough right there. Yes an f150 will out tow a tacoma.

Regarding recalls, every manufacturer has recalls. Here was last year. Your beloved ford had more vehicles recalled than the next 4 companies. Lol.

I won’t buy a ford with more than 80k miles, tired of the issues.

There’s a reason that rust bucket brought so much money…

I need your expert opinion...Do recalls make a trend?
I contacted Toyota about the leaf springs 2 years before they were forced to issue a recall.
Just curious....

If you were towing with a tacoma then that says enough right there. Yes an f150 will out tow a tacoma.

Regarding recalls, every manufacturer has recalls. Here was last year. Your beloved ford had more vehicles recalled than the next 4 companies. Lol.

I won’t buy a ford with more than 80k miles, tired of the issues.

There’s a reason that rust bucket brought so much money…

That's funny...Toyota denied any culpability regarding leaf springs and frame rust until lawsuits were imminent.
Every time I go to the Ford dealership for my $14 oil changes(I bring my own oil...Part of that engineering background you and I share) and I ask if there are any recalls...so far, the famous frozen rear door locks and a master cylinder which I didn't understand but got a free brake bleed out of the deal have been the only ones.
I will say, the 'sucker born every minute' does work out when you're selling a Toyota.
Not even dealers are immune.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's funny...Toyota denied any culpability regarding leaf springs and frame rust until lawsuits were imminent.
Every time I go to the Ford dealership for my $14 oil changes(I bring my own oil...Part of that engineering background you and I share) and I ask if there are any recalls...so far, the famous frozen rear door locks and a master cylinder which I didn't understand but got a free brake bleed out of the deal have been the only ones.
I will say, the 'sucker born every minute' does work out when you're selling a Toyota.
Not even dealers are immune.
You do realize a recall is literally fixing something that wasn’t engineered correctly. Did you see the website I sent? Ford has leaps and bounds ahead of any other manufacturer in recalls, basically eff ups that they were forced to fix.

Yes, your tacoMa had a recall and supposedly your ford hasn’t, which is exactly my point. 1 car doesn’t make a trend, but in 2022 ford had almost 9 million eff ups that they had to fix. So tell us more about this over engineering!

And I’ll bow out at this point. Good luck with your ford, run the wheels off it because when you go to sell it you’ll get pennies on the dollar…for a reason…

You do realize a recall is literally fixing something that wasn’t engineered correctly. Did you see the website I sent? Ford has leaps and bounds ahead of any other manufacturer in recalls, basically eff ups that they were forced to fix.

Yes, your tacoMa had a recall and supposedly your ford hasn’t, which is exactly my point. 1 car doesn’t make a trend, but in 2022 ford had almost 9 million eff ups that they had to fix. So tell us more about this over engineering!

And I’ll bow out at this point. Good luck with your ford, run the wheels off it because when you go to sell it you’ll get pennies on the dollar…for a reason…
I bought it below wholesale because it was a trade-in that couldn't be retailed by the dealership because of the backorder for the rear door latch recall. It was going to sit on the back lot until parts were available and I worked at the dealership so I got a pretty good deal.
You can rest assured the last 70k miles have been nearly free for me other than fuel and insurance.
That ragged out rust bucket Tacoma paid for nearly half of it.

I just did the research...$1,800 difference in trade in value between my F150 and a similarly-equipped Tundra.
Same year and miles, according to KBB.

This Toyota myth gets weaker and weaker when confronted with facts.
Not to rule out stupid dealers.....

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just did the research...$1,800 difference in trade in value between my F150 and a similarly-equipped Tundra.
Same year and miles, according to KBB.

This Toyota myth gets weaker and weaker when confronted with facts.
Not to rule out stupid dealers.....
Geeesus…what did you do at this dealership? Pretty sure it had nothing to do with cars.

Kbb is a lending tool, it doesn’t value cars. Black book, kbb, NADA all do the same thing, and usually their values are 1000s apart.

MMR is a better judge of values and of course retail. These “stupid dealers” you keep referring to sell 1000s of cars a year, so not sure why you think they’re “stupid”.

I attached an example. In the example of a 2015 tundra with 100l you can see the nada and kbb lending values are more than 2k apart and way over mmr. Mmr is a much closer indicator of “value”.

On a side note, if anybody ever needs assistance on a value for a car, feel free to reach out to me…or thinkingman. 😂 5F5359EE-0FF6-49CC-AABB-03A5D14C099F.png

Built both a Tundra and F-150 online. Attempting to start with a base model. It for sure feels the F-150 is easier to start plain and add the few features I would prefer....being the 6ft bed, Crew Cab and the locker. Think I could get either the 5.0 or 3.5
5.0 all day...ecos pop exhaust manifold bolts, on the back of the engine next to the cab, the cam phasers will likely shit the bed, and the turbo lines will leak..these issues will happen quicker if you tow a lot. If you just getting groceries and dding it they are fine but you work them under load you have way more moving parts with turbos to go bad.

I was in your same boat in '20...adding another 10kish and getting a 7.3 F250 Lariat Tremor was an easy decision because I got everything I wanted and a little more.

Geeesus…what did you do at this dealership? Pretty sure it had nothing to do with cars.

Kbb is a lending tool, it doesn’t value cars. Black book, kbb, NADA all do the same thing, and usually their values are 1000s apart.

MMR is a better judge of values and of course retail. These “stupid dealers” you keep referring to sell 1000s of cars a year, so not sure why you think they’re “stupid”.

I attached an example. In the example of a 2015 tundra with 100l you can see the nada and kbb lending values are more than 2k apart and way over mmr. Mmr is a much closer indicator of “value”.

On a side note, if anybody ever needs assistance on a value for a car, feel free to reach out to me…or thinkingman. 😂 View attachment 520495

On a side note, if anybody ever needs assistance on a value for a car, feel free to reach out to me…or thinkingman. 😂 View attachment 520495
We used Black Book in Ohio back in the eighties when I worked the desk at a large Chevy dealership.
Same ownership group had Mike Albert Leasing which had over 150,000 units on the road at that time.
It was regional back then and I don't see BB used in the Seattle market where I sold more recently (very successfully BTW). The auction was a riot...Ever seen a fuel tank literally fall off a vehicle while surrounded by a bunch of wholesalers with a lit cigarettes in their hands? Wish I had it on video but that was over 30 years ago and we didn't have cell phones.
We used KBB when I was in sales more recently in the Seattle market because it was accessible to the customers as a way of verifying the value of their trade.
We were pretty transparent.
Here's a little more accurate comparison for year, miles and equipment/trim level...

Attachments

• Tundra.jpg
    Tundra.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 25
  • F150.jpg
    F150.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 26

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 2006 Tacoma rode so badly on cobble that it rattled the rear window loose. Luckily I heard it go and got to it before it literally fell out. Keep preaching the Toyota quality myth.
There’s something else going on with that window. Either it was worked on (poorly) or you’re severely exaggerating what happened.

Jon C

FNG
I have more vehicles than shoes. All are pretty serviceable. But all are old and only partially reliable. I am over 50. I will retire in under two years. In my 50+ years I have purchased ONE new vehicle. I am simply not a vehicle diva. I despise it really. Can I appreciate nice trucks? Sure. I say I am Cheap. My other half says I am Frugal. I have tons of cool rifles, bows, target bows, great optics, and my urn will not be big enough to melt me with all my Sitka, Kifaru packs and Filson wool.

But Dave Ramsey and my cheap ass simply cannot get over the price of a new truck. A pretty lame F-150 is $55,000. I have built a bunch of Taccomas and Chevy Colorados online. They're the cheapest at $40-$44,000. And even with grown kids and no friends (meaning I dont ever see needing more than a passenger seat) I am not certain I want to ride into old age in a Micro Truck.

For $80,000 I would rather buy and extra acre in Montana or Idaho.

But at some point I need something newer and reliable.

All these threads (I've read most every Tacoma thread) turn into a "Well my XXXXx kicks major ass". I guess I am kinda asking for that opinion here.

I suffer terribly from both being Cheap and Analysis Paralysis. Watched a ton of Tacoma vids on the YouTubes. Read a bunch. What I read other than phenomenal resale and longevity is gutless, drum brakes, 20 year old technology. Wait for a 2024 Gen 4??? I don't need a truck today. Or this hunting season.

I'm pissed that truck beds keep getting smaller. Why? I slept in my '99 Tacoma bed (6ftish) all over Washington and Idaho this fall. Solo ramble. Had a blast. I really don't want a 5 ft bed.

My opinion of modern society is very poor, as is my opinion of the current generation. But am I the only one who wants a manual lever on a transfer case? Could roll my own window down if need be too.

I've crossed paths with a few of the diesel Colorado owners. They are in love. I've searched a 300 mile radius and I can not find a Colorado, long bed, diesel. And I am not 100% I'd chunk down the money today, but it's the closest I've found to possibly Happy.

I've been overwhelmed with lithium, chips, Supply and Demand, interest rates, the apocolypse.....will vehicle prices ever subside? Very poor time to purchase? And is there a short list of "clear winners"
Basically what I just did, but I got a 19 model.
exactly what I was gonna post. I have a 150k on an sr5. Only issue I had was the wiper motor transmission broke when blades were frozen to window,a pulley for serpentine belt squealed and the blower fan was replaced when it got loud. Have buddies with 2014 and 2012 and none have had anything other than minor stuff done. Currently looking for a 2019 or 20 also

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
20AD6B57-A059-4A11-B2C0-FBF3C9EB5F62.jpeg
My 07 5.9 6 speed will be passed down to the kids. 16 years old and still better than any modern diesel on the road. Still get low 20s mpg on 35s and more power then I will ever need.