RokStok

Tom-D

FNG
Hey @Formidilosus can i ask why you are so keen to have one made in wood? Is it just personal preference or is there properties of wood that benefit shooting? I would have assumed carbon would be more durable and consistent

robtattoo

WKR
Hey @Formidilosus can i ask why you are so keen to have one made in wood? Is it just personal preference or is there properties of wood that benefit shooting? I would have assumed carbon would be more durable and consistent

High Modulus carbon fiber has only been around since 1964.

There's a lump of wood just turned up in Zambia, that was carved & worked by folks about 476,000 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's still too early to tell in the durability race. 😉

Dobermann

WKR
I'm in no way Form, but for me:
  • Wood is 'warm' to touch, and has more R-value than plastic or metal so doesn't absorb cold as quickly
  • Can dull recoil
  • Is naturally camouflaged - and if not varnished, then is non-reflective
  • Has a little more weight than carbon, so good for recoil management
  • Can be quite durable, as well as water resisatant, especially if tightly-grained, and soaked in a lanolin-based solution.
For some of us, I'm sure there's a nostalgia element. Pretty sure Form has already said he's a sucker for nostagia.

On the 'woo woo' side of things, I'm aware of more than one high-end self-defense / CQB trainer who insists on wooden handles for knives and grips for handguns. They'll suggest to you that holding plastic is deleterious. My guess is that Form wouldn't go with this!

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
High Modulus carbon fiber has only been around since 1964.

There's a lump of wood just turned up in Zambia, that was carved & worked by folks about 476,000 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's still too early to tell in the durability race. 😉
Yep.

I used to work in a lamination-based industry. Anything that is laminated can (and likely will) delaminate.

I've had plastic/rubber rifle stocks, knife handles, and tools that have failed in less than 10-20 years, some by some high-end brand names. I have wooden-handled items that are more than 100 years old and still going strong.

Not raining on the Rokstok parade, though - I'll be ordering at least one.

Buuuut ... if it came out in wood, I'd be personally skipping straight to that option.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Properly done wood is durable, reliable, and handles weather just fine. On top of that, it helps noticeably with vibration during the shot, and feels much, much better in the hand.

And it looks better.

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe dumb question, but is "alpine contour inlet" synonymous with either the "Tikka Factory Sporter", or ”ACE #3/ BM #5/ BART #3B" rokstok barrel channel options?
Barrel Channel Inlets:
Tikka Factory Sporter- will fit Superlite, T3/T3X Lite etc (will be with a 0.025" free float)
ACE #3/ BM #5/ BART #3B- can fit an alpine veil/roughtech with minor sanding (for a muzzle diameter of .70" with a .025" free float)
Proof Sendero- will fit Proof Research Sendero/Lite - Carbonsix Sendero/Magnum (or any comparable contour

Tom-D

FNG
Properly done wood is durable, reliable, and handles weather just fine. On top of that, it helps noticeably with vibration during the shot, and feels much, much better in the hand.

And it looks better.
Thanks for the answer i thought vibration may be a reason i have made a few timber stocks (although poorly designed i have recently found out) as i have access to a 5x cnc. I havnt actually shot a proper carbon stock before but recently made one out of basic pine to keep it light and skim coated with fibre glass to harden the surface

Dobermann

WKR
Its almost ifin the answer to your questions were in the podcast..........
I thought Form had said in general that he's wanting it to come out in wood, but maybe I need to re-listen to see if there were any clues about exactly how soon. Will do right now! :)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is the Molinator going to be a good rear bag for this stock? Or is there another rear bag that is going to come out designed more for this flat toed stock?

Any rear back that doesn’t suck works fine. A rectangle bag that has maybe 50-60% fill- like the one being used on the rear in the pic, will be just fine. A few pages back there’s a video where I used that bag, a floppy/sloopy pencil case with maybe 20% fill, a stump, my bino harness, my binos alone, and a puff jacket to shoot; all from both a concrete block as well as a pack in the front.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I thought Form had said in general that he's wanting it to come out in wood, but maybe I need to re-listen to see if there were any clues about exactly how soon. Will do right now! :)

Stockys makes wood stocks.
Form said he was getting one one way or another.
jake and ryan hinted that the discussion for wood has been had.

I mean I get it its 80 minutes of listening to formi go on.
Barely got to hear bikini talk at all. grin.

BAKPAKR

WKR
QD cups will already be installed on railed stocks front and rear L/S for right handed stocks. It is much easier to carry a rifle when QD cups are installed on the side of the stock opposite of the bolt side. Then the stock lays flat on your back.

@Unknown Munitions, the description on the website says, “For railed stocks, included QD cup in rail and rear.” For clarification, does that mean that the front flush cup will be the flush cup in the rail and the rear flush cup will be on side of the buttstock opposite the bolt (right side for me since I am a lefty)?

prm

WKR
Does Stockys make wood stocks? If not, have Accurate Innovations make one. Full aluminum bedding block and they will shape however you want. Beautiful work. They made the one on my Barrett Fieldcraft.