Professional Opinions

How does your opinion of gear usually change when you see it marketed by a professional influencer?

• Positively- generally more likely to buy

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Neutral- does not change or more information needed

Votes: 153 67.7%
  • Negatively- generally less likely to buy

Votes: 65 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OXN939

WKR
From a recent discussion with a few hunting buddies. Thought it might be interesting to see the slide's collective opinion.

WCB

WKR
I put less likely to buy...also depends a bit on who is pushing it. But honestly some products that have treated me very well over the years I question on buying again due to their affiliation.

Elkangle

WKR
"Influencers" often are the first to showcase new products..pretty hard not to be semi more motivated to buy something when they are the ones advertising it..

But I still buy what I typically think is best, if your not buying somthing just because an Influencer uses it then I think your focusing way more on being anti trendy then you are just focusing on quality gear and the task at hand which is putting animals on the ground

I dont have social media to understand influencers other than the rokslide and my state hunting forum. Other than that, i might hear something from a podcast but generally dont listen to too many podcasts that are not purely educational (deer university out of MS state university is very good). So my “influencer inpact” is probably pretty minimal at best.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I put less likely to buy...also depends a bit on who is pushing it. But honestly some products that have treated me very well over the years I question on buying again due to their affiliation.
Nuetral. I don’t care who’s using/pushing a certain product. I like to form my own opinions.

All very valid points! Interesting turnout so far- thanks for the input!

I will say that I have purchased some things due to some influencer youtubes. Not because they are the ones pushing, but because their video about the product was super in depth and touched on questions I had. I just want to say that I owned a PSE before Dudley. Anything he sells is not what I'm referencing above.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Another 'neutral'; though leans toward less likely.
I do appreciate the currency of the products presented - if left to my own volition, I would probably never see half of the 'stuff' coming out; I'm just not that active in seeking it out unless I actually need/want it. Sometimes, it piques my interest enough that I then research the item(s) and figure out if it actually fits my needs.

twall13

WKR
I had to look that one up.

I suppose that Rinella qualifies as one. He is pushing so much stuff these days that I am actually suspect of anything he advertises at this point.
Ya, it always cracks me up when he starts pushing a new product that is something totally off what he recommended before his podcast got ads, etc. Anymore, it has to make him money to get a mention in his media. I've seen it with sunglasses, rifles, etc. No big deal to me as that's not how I make my purchasing decisions but I do think he holds a lot of influence over a large crowd of new hunters, which is why he's a valuable tool for marketers.

As far as the poll above. I put neutral but I think it depends on a lot of factors. Overall, I like to research products to find what fits the need I'm trying to address in a gear item. That said, there have been several "influencers" who have turned me on to products I really enjoy that I didn't know about before seeing them in use on some form of social media. There have also been a few "influencers" that are so off-putting they make me want to avoid a particular brand.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
There have also been a few "influencers" that are so off-putting they make me want to avoid a particular brand.
This is so true. I buy MTN OPS in spite of their partnership with Cam Haines, certainly not because of it. If they didn't have such a good veterans discount I don't think I'd buy their stuff anymore just because that guy is so off-putting to me.

Vaultman

WKR
Sometimes it is funny to me to see the website of a product and all the other products that are featured on the main page.
For my fictitious example, lets say binocular company... their webpage will be a guy on the side of a mountain using his binoculars. But he will also have on name brand clothing, with a large manufacturers rifle and said bino companies rifle scope. Rifle (usually a custom chassis) of course is in the background clamped into a tripod. Don't forget the bipod on the rifle too. He also has to have the bino harness, the massive 14-day sized backpack with tent on the outside, and visible hydration tube. Scope flip up covers, suppressor. Gloves, neckerchief, all same as name brand clothing. Electronic earpro. Even the boot brand will be recognizable (if the brand name gators aren't covering it), all topped off with a logo hat and sunglasses on the brim.

sndmn11

WKR
Sometimes it is funny to me to see the website of a product and all the other products that are featured on the main page.
For my fictitious example, lets say binocular company... their webpage will be a guy on the side of a mountain using his binoculars. But he will also have on name brand clothing, with a large manufacturers rifle and said bino companies rifle scope. Rifle (usually a custom chassis) of course is in the background clamped into a tripod. Don't forget the bipod on the rifle too. He also has to have the bino harness, the massive 14-day sized backpack with tent on the outside, and visible hydration tube. Scope flip up covers, suppressor. Gloves, neckerchief, all same as name brand clothing. Electronic earpro. Even the boot brand will be recognizable (if the brand name gators aren't covering it), all topped off with a logo hat and sunglasses on the brim.

True

Rob5589

WKR
Depends. There have always been "influencers" whether you think so or not. Fred Bear may not have been called an influencer but, can anyone doubt his "influence" on bowhunting and Bear products? Hell, RS is one big influencing collective for certain products.

ODB

WKR
When a celebrity or ambassador starts using gear you really like it’s the same as when your favorite small band sold out.

Many of these social media "hunters/influencers" are multi time convicted poachers. I absolutely avoid everything they endorse. I wont finance the monetization of the chronic rape of our wildlife.