Professional Opinions

How does your opinion of gear usually change when you see it marketed by a professional influencer?

• Positively- generally more likely to buy

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Neutral- does not change or more information needed

Votes: 153 67.7%
  • Negatively- generally less likely to buy

Votes: 65 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m neutral, if a product seems legit and is something I want to buy, then I’ll buy it. Some of the YouTube folks have helped make that decision by having a really detailed review, and sometimes I’ve decided against buying something because of those same types of in depth reviews. It’s just information, and advertising, I don’t understand why people get so upset about it.
I recently started needing reading glasses, and had been using cheap readers from Walmart. I then got a pair of decent glasses through my insurance at my eye doc, but they really weren’t much better. I had been hearing about Roka eyeglasses on Rogan and Meateater, decided to try those. Man, these are light years ahead of even my expensive prescription glasses at half the cost. Made in Texas, they don’t slip off your face when exercising or doing stuff, they stay crystal clear all day and they lightweight and comfortable. I would have never heard of that company had I not heard their ad on podcasts.
I think it’s equally silly to right off a product simply because of whose advertising it, as it is to buy it simply because someone is advertising it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I marked less likely… I only let real life experiences influence my gear. For whatever reason, I feel if a product needs pushing…. It’s a gimmick… ghost blind, Huskemaw, quigley-ford…etc

Reactions: WCB
I voted negative. If it's random Joe blow youtuber I love that, but a lot of these "professional" "personalities" out there just hit my off switch and I just don't like them.

Coldtrail

WKR
I always figure that time in the woods is the most valuable measure of what gear you require, the "professionals" are just salesman in designer camo, I dont put much stock in their gear choices.

Depends on who is pushing it and if I believe it's a paid sponsorship or not. Voted negative because it's much more likely for an influencer to make me avoid something than convince me to buy.

If muley freak, Hush'n, or Brian Call are pushin it and I didn't already have a favorable view of a product before hand, it isn't likely i'd buy it.

But i'm not going to stop using OnX or First Lite because Hushn is affiliated. The best gunsmith experience I've had is with a guy who is affiliated with Muley Freak. That one is tough to get over but he's great!

The general response in this thread towards the pusher man seems to be less Curtis Mayfield, more Steppenwolf.

never really considered buying "high end gear" until i was able to use it in passing. I took a gamble on buying some Kuiu and I was really happy with it.. Then bought some First Light gear and was mostly happy with it. Then bought some Sitka

There are some products that I've also bought 2x because i said to myself "i'll buy this cheap xxx because I don't know if I really need it or if I'll ever use it" And after the cheap product proves to be useful but not so great, I end up looking at the nicer piece.

First "nice" thing I think I ever bought was one of the top tier USO scopes. Another forum was basically fanboi all over them and I felt a bit pressured because soooo many people were using them at that time. I was so impressed with it, I've had a hard time buying cheap optics ever since.

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I had to look that one up.

I suppose that Rinella qualifies as one. He is pushing so much stuff these days that I am actually suspect of anything he advertises at this point.

I've always wondered if Steve uses his Vortex optics on camera but when the cameras are off he switches to something else. :ROFLMAO:

I am starting the new GUTSHOT007 podcast this week. It will be on after the GUTSHOT007 goes hunting TV show. This spring we will be on the road filming GUTSHOT007 goes fishing. There may be a few commercials for the GUTSHOT007 SERIES CHEVY TRUCK, GUTSHOT007 Mathews bow and the GUTSHOT007 Tikka rifle/scope combo, GUTSHOT Federal ammo. This fall look for the GUTSHOT007 line of Haircare products, Vitamins , Laxatives and Hemorrhoid ointment. I'm cool with someone selling their stuff as long as it's "not over the top". If you know what I mean

No credence given as they’re proven product “whores” that are hyping a product solely for money and/or other benefits.

Jbehredt

WKR
If you don’t think it’s effective look at all of the full BRO-Phelps-first lite-crispi-Exo-Hoyt ensembles running. Some of those dorks are paying attention.

Vaultman

WKR
I am starting the new GUTSHOT007 podcast this week. It will be on after the GUTSHOT007 goes hunting TV show. This spring we will be on the road filming GUTSHOT007 goes fishing. There may be a few commercials for the GUTSHOT007 SERIES CHEVY TRUCK, GUTSHOT007 Mathews bow and the GUTSHOT007 Tikka rifle/scope combo, GUTSHOT Federal ammo. This fall look for the GUTSHOT007 line of Haircare products, Vitamins , Laxatives and Hemorrhoid ointment. I'm cool with someone selling their stuff as long as it's "not over the top". If you know what I mean
Careful there @Gutshot007 that other guy, Gutshot, is selling ammo and stomping on your brand... better take him to court!

Can someone find and post the "Waynes world sponsors " video clip with Wayne and garth whoring out to pizza hut, pepsi, doritos, nuprin, and I think adidas. For an old challenged guy. I think it says it all

Yarak

WKR
I tend to stay away from products that marketed by well known celebrities because of the simple fact they would put their name on a turd and tell you which is the clean end to pick it up from if they could make a dollar

MtnMuley

WKR
Means absolutely zero to me who endorses what. If I'm looking into something, I will usually start with the reviews on this site.