What would you say is the wildest part of Colorado?

Wheels

WKR
As others have mentioned, Dinosaur Monument or anywhere up in that area. Was up there a couple years ago for a month and hardly saw anyone, and I wasn't that far in.

Not a whole lotta wild places in Colorado. I remember archery elk hunting a few years ago and being in a place where the idea flashed in my head for a second wondering how many people might have been in the spot where i was standing. I then looked down and three feet away a piece of rebar was sticking out of the ground.

So that makes no places wild in CO?

For those saying there are no wild places left in CO….you don’t know CO.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
What are the Ute reservations like? In both pristine remoteness and access.
Near Pagosa Springs, west of town, there is some really good NF (National Forest) areas landlocked on the Southern Ute reservation.
There are roads that lead through Ute land to NF land. There are very menacing signs on those gates about "Property of Southern Ute Indian Reservation", No Trespassing, Violators will be prosecuted, etc, etc....

Unless things have changed since I was there last (1980), as long as you don't stop or get out of your vehicle on tribal land, the tribal police can't keep you from accessing the NF land using their road.
Most people aren't aware of that and competition on those landlocked areas is pretty slim.

If you're lucky and have heavy snow in the upper elevations, deer and elk migrate down the Piedra River drainage and that lowland is a hunting paradise.....IF you know how to access those parcels of landlocked NF.

NOTE: when crossing Ute land, mind your manners and obey their rules. The Tribal Police can make life miserable if you get caught trespassing or hunting on Ute land.....and they won't be taking you to the Archuleta sheriff's office in Pagosa Springs!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I saw two nasty hookers and a guy smoking crack on east Colfax before 8:00am today. Otherwise I would say anything subalpine with little to no access roads. Someone mentioned the north west part but I would call that more desolate than wild.