Overlooked SUVs

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I recently sold my 2010 Tacoma and I'm in the market for a used (sub $8k) midsized SUV. Obviously my first choice would be a 4Runner but with the pickings on them in that range being so slim, I'm looking for an alternative. What have y'all had good experiences with? Asking yall because I'm sure your rigs are packed to the gills like mine is during hunting season and sometimes need a little offroad capability to get to where we need to be

Seems like there aren’t any now. Please don’t jump on the GX bandwagon- I’m trying to replace mine and prices are stupid.

I had an Xterra that was pretty sweet- first gen. They can be found for somewhat reasonable prices, just do your research. I think earlier years of the second gen had problems with the transmission cooler- “strawberry milkshake of death”

Another vehicle that has piqued my interest is the newer armada/qx80/qx56. It’s the same vehicle as a nissan patrol, which is the nissan land cruiser rival. I don’t know a whole lot about them, but they seem like a really fun and untapped platform in the US.

Otherwise lifted Subarus can be pretty solid if you don’t need a body on frame. Sequoias also tend to hold their value not quite as well as 4Rs or tundra/taco. An older pathfinder may also be a decent rig, monteros are pretty sweet- I considered one instead of my Xterra a while back. I’m now kinda locked into the GX platform (already have one in the family, as well as my salvage vehicle for parts), otherwise I’d be strongly considering one of the options above.

Didn’t see the sub 8k. I’d go pathfinder/xterra/1st gen sequoia/montero if it were me.

Last edited:

Graves14

WKR
2nd gen Xterra “off road” or “Pro 4X” depending on the year comes stock with an E-Locker and is extremely capable off-road. The back cargo area is lined with plastic so it’s easy to clean. Literally can’t say enough good things about it. I’m on 240k without any major repairs and there’s no end in sight.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like there aren’t any now. Please don’t jump on the GX bandwagon- I’m trying to replace mine and prices are stupid.

I had an Xterra that was pretty sweet- first gen. They can be found for somewhat reasonable prices, just do your research.

Another vehicle that has piqued my interest is the newer armada/qx80/qx56. It’s the same vehicle as a nissan patrol, which is the nissan land cruiser rival. I don’t know a whole lot about them, but they seem like a really fun and untapped platform in the US.

Otherwise lifted Subarus can be pretty solid if you don’t need a body on frame. Sequoias also tend to hold their value not quite as well as 4Rs or tundra/taco. An older pathfinder may also be a decent rig, monteros are pretty sweet too

Didn’t see the sub 8k. I’d go pathfinder/xterra/1st gen sequoia/montero if it were me.
I found a mint Montero for 6900. Single owner. It's an 03 Limited Sport. I know nothing about them but it did look like a cool rig

I found a mint Montero for 6900. Single owner. It's an 03 Limited Sport. I know nothing about them but it did look like a cool rig
From what I’ve heard monteros are pretty solid rigs. Only negative may be less used part availability just because they aren’t super common

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
You can get into a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (base model) for half that budget. I had an I6 model and loved it. Lacks some power but averaged 16-18mpg and the thing was comfortable. Additionally, was decent off-road if you aren’t trying to go crazy.

My buddy picked one up out east for $2k a year ago. Changed fluids and new brakes and he has been set since then.

But it is a Jeep and they break a lot…. But with the leftover budget, you’ve gotten plenty of money for parts.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
You can get into a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (base model) for half that budget. I had an I6 model and loved it. Lacks some power but averaged 16-18mpg and the thing was comfortable. Additionally, was decent off-road if you aren’t trying to go crazy.

My buddy picked one up out east for $2k a year ago. Changed fluids and new brakes and he has been set since then.

But it is a Jeep and they break a lot…. But with the leftover budget, you’ve gotten plenty of money for parts.
Unfortunately finding them that aren't ragged to hell with tons of miles is getting really hard. I've driven jeeps half my life so im definitely familiar with broken rigs 🤣

From what I’ve heard monteros are pretty solid rigs. Only negative may be less used part availability just because they aren’t super common
Monteros are really good, but the parts availability is a challenge. I sold mine after a job required parts from Australia, UAE, and Russia. They were never super popular to begin with and they stopped importing in 2006.

The Nissan Y62 platform, Armada/QX80/QX56, has promise and the prices aren't stupid, but they're new enough that they aren't cheap either. Parts availability is improving and it is a full size platform unlike the in between GX series.

I just went through this exercise and I think I'm just going to stay with my titan, all used rigs are a bit overpriced and I couldn't make the numbers with work well enough to make the change.

Expedition portal has pretty good info on all the platforms, but it doesn't do as well on domestic vehicles.

grfox92

WKR

This is accurate. Any Jeep with the straight 6 will run for a bazillion miles and are very reliable.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also looking at these. I’m liking the 05-12 pathfinder as it’s basically a longer xterra and they never had much of a off road following so they shouldn’t be too beat up.

Sapcut

WKR
Regardless of personal preferences one may have….The 100 series Land Cruiser or LX470 has proven to be the most reliable vehicle made particularly with age and mileage. Even without an OCD maintenance personality, they wear really well. And a good copy can be had for close to $8k even in the current inflated market.

grfox92

WKR
Lots of gpod recommendations here.

Ill add. Not the best looking but the Expeditions Before 2003 are extremely reliable and run forever. Same with the Navigators if you want some luxury. They don't hold their value and can be had at a steal of a price.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2007 GX470. I'd find one with as low mileage you can and go that route. The V8 tows as good you'll need. As noted above, they are popular and have some sweet aftermarket mods available.

Take this from a Nissan/Infiniti technician.... Stay away from the QX as they get older. Timing chain tensioners and the cvt transmissions will both leave you stranded. Decent rides, but I couldn't send myself out west in one.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I loved my Xterra. I had a 2012 Pro4X, it was amazingly capable off road. I put 160k miles on it with no issues, had all intentions of keeping for many more years to come, but a little mule deer buck that decided to step out in front of me had other plans. Insurance totaled it and gave me way more than I was expecting for it. I got a new 4Runner now and really like it, but still miss my Xterra when I see one in the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk