Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

Wmmichael20

Well Known Rokslider
One of the old guys at work bought a new Tacoma 4banger with a auto trans.,a base model truck 4x4 that I think he claimed cost 26 or 27 grand brand new, and is getting 27 mpg on his daily commute to work which is approximately 100 miles a day, claims its a gutless turd but can't complain about the mileage

lifeisgoodsteve

Well Known Rokslider
View attachment 451305
RAV4’s work pretty dang good, truck went down right before season last year and had to take the wife’s ride🤣
I've actually heard pretty good things about how they handler some rougher conditions.

What did it see beyond forest roads (mud, snow, etc.) and how comfortable driving them vs the truck?
Long enough to sleep in the back with seats folded down?

rideold

Well Known Rokslider
RAV4’s work pretty dang good, truck went down right before season last year and had to take the wife’s ride🤣
Good to hear.....the older ones seemed to suffer on ground clearance but now that I look it up the 2019 and newer model seems to have 8+ inches. Not too bad for what it is and roughly equivalent to a Forester Wilderness.

Do you know if there is much, if any, protection on the underside? My wife's CR-V is pretty exposed as far at that element goes. I'm fine with less clearance if there's something protecting things!

fmyth

Well Known Rokslider
One of the old guys at work bought a new Tacoma 4banger with a auto trans.,a base model truck 4x4 that I think he claimed cost 26 or 27 grand brand new, and is getting 27 mpg on his daily commute to work which is approximately 100 miles a day, claims its a gutless turd but can't complain about the mileage
From Fuelly.com and Toyota.com Toyata est. mpg on a base model Tacoma 4x4 is 19/22. Base MSRP is 30,250 before manufactures destination charge. Most dealers are still getting MSRP or above. Maybe his commute is downhill both ways?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 2.36.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 2.36.30 PM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 2.41.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 2.41.16 PM.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 10

HuntWyo

Good to hear.....the older ones seemed to suffer on ground clearance but now that I look it up the 2019 and newer model seems to have 8+ inches. Not too bad for what it is and roughly equivalent to a Forester Wilderness.

Do you know if there is much, if any, protection on the underside? My wife's CR-V is pretty exposed as far at that element goes. I'm fine with less clearance if there's something protecting things!
From factory it’s just a plastic skid plate but is pretty tough actually we live out in the country like 15 miles down dirt so we picked up a metal skid plate for it for a few hundred bucks and it’s definitely worth the little extra money just having the piece of mind but before we got it we had no problems with the factory one i did throw a set of toyo at3 245’s the biggest you can fit without a lift to get a little extra clearance and it’s turned out to be a pretty good combo!

HuntWyo

I've actually heard pretty good things about how they handler some rougher conditions.

What did it see beyond forest roads (mud, snow, etc.) and how comfortable driving them vs the truck?
Long enough to sleep in the back with seats folded down?
Snow performance is unmatched it does so good mud is also great the toyo at3 it has definitely made the world of difference makes a truck seem like your driving a tank it’s ridiculously comfortable we can both sleep in the back it’s a little tight for 2 people but it’s definitely doable!

Wmmichael20

Well Known Rokslider
From Fuelly.com and Toyota.com Toyata est. mpg on a base model Tacoma 4x4 is 19/22. Base MSRP is 30,250 before manufactures destination charge. Most dealers are still getting MSRP or above. Maybe his commute is downhill both ways?
Couldn't tell you....he's a 65 year old man....probably drives quite conservative would be my guess...and as far as the price he got...my guess is since it's a beer can with tires...nobody was lining up to buy it..