Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

ridgefire

WKR
I have taken my 04 Outback 3.0 places that it should not be able to go. It has plenty of room for me to lay down the back seats and sleep in it when I want to. I have about 310000 miles on it now and it still averages approx 25mpg. Great car if you can get over the fact it's a granola eater car.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
2019, Ram 2500, cummins

Last trip, 24.5 mpg on the highway

Obviously not towing

33k miles on it. Still breaking in....lol

Never did like the Japanese schhiit box tacos

H

HappyHuntr

I have taken my 04 Outback 3.0 places that it should not be able to go. It has plenty of room for me to lay down the back seats and sleep in it when I want to. I have about 310000 miles on it now and it still averages approx 25mpg. Great car if you can get over the fact it's a granola eater car.
Bro you know those stickers that say “Mountains Please” those are literally ALWAYS on Subarus. Maybe that sticker is just a Washington state thing idk

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
2019, Ram 2500, cummins

Last trip, 24.5 mpg on the highway

Obviously not towing

33k miles on it. Still breaking in....lol

Never did like the Japanese schhiit box tacos

I hate to break it to you, but I don’t think your truck was made in the USA either…ever see all the train cars filled with RAM trucks near the southern border?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
2019 Ford ranger has been my favorite hunting rig. It's sitting on 33s and a mid travel kit. Super comfortable, 4 doors, and been getting 20mpg as a daily.
Used to be a diesel guy with tons of 2nd gens, just got tired of loud rough riding trucks.

ID_Snow

FNG
i'm thinking about getting a subaru cross trek with a 2" lift and some BFG all terrains... probably not much for hunting specific, but i'm putting around 1k miles a week on my pickup, so i'm considering a car for that, and personally, i won't have a rig i can't drive offroad without any issues, because i'm still in the hills a good bit when out of town working... the subaru is about the only compromise i'm willing to make for a car, it will get good fuel mileage, comfortable to drive, still offroad capable, and probably pretty good, tougher tires to keep from getting flats, and keep the miles off my pickup, because i actually plan to keep it a few years, and i don't want to put that many miles on it if possible.

i don't have any delusions of that penciling out for me, but it would be handy to have for several reasons... my wife drives a tundra, so the car or my pickup would make sense for her to drive... we also travel 5hrs up the coast every other weekend at least, to our other house, Tundra isn't very economical for that.... my pickup averages about 17.5mpg, which is pretty impressive for how i drive, but a lot of my commute is done at 80+mph, and it doesn't do well in that range.... better than my taco(s) did, but still around 15mpg
Don’t put ko2’s on a Subaru, it will drive like shit with a tire that heavy. Several companies have come out with crossover suv all terrains that have better flat resistance and off road performance without totally ruining the handling of the vehicle. I think outside magazine wrote a decent article about it.

Coldtrail

WKR
I hate to break it to you, but I don’t think your truck was made in the USA either…ever see all the train cars filled with RAM trucks near the southern border?
Ironically & somewhat funny, I believe up until a year or two ago the Honda Ridgeline & Toyota trucks were more made in America than the big 3 "American" trucks. Now I think they all have mariachi music playing in the background at some point during the assembly process.

To further stir the pot....Ram is a Fiat, not a dodge for the past 10+ years, now owned by Peugeot, niether are an American company & have a pretty extensive history of questionable business practices.

Don’t put ko2’s on a Subaru, it will drive like shit with a tire that heavy. Several companies have come out with crossover suv all terrains that have better flat resistance and off road performance without totally ruining the handling of the vehicle. I think outside magazine wrote a decent article about it.
The Falken Wildpeak AT’s have been excellent on my Crosstrek. Nearly 60,000 miles on them without issue.

Elite

WKR
I bought a 2001 rav 4 just to commute to my work daily which is roughly 70km a day to keep the mileage off my truck. I honestly now use that Rav for 80% of my hunting when the truck isn’t needed. Lots of pros to it. Gets 20mpg no matter how I drive. Nobody things you’re a hunter… Can fit down some skinny trails and I don’t care if I scratch it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

900 mile range on my rebel diesal. 1 inch factory lift.

Attachments

• 20220205_142127.jpg
    20220205_142127.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20221218_104304.jpg
    20221218_104304.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 36

Coldtrail

WKR
When you tally the numbers, initial cost, gas, oil, insurance, maintenance etc it's pretty hard to beat the Subaru Crosstrek for cost of ownership over 300,000mi compared to virtually any other AWD/4x4 on the market.

I checked out one of the new ford rangers. It was cruising with good mpg. When I test drove one. The back seat was the deal breaker for us with our little ones still in car seats/boosters. But that truck was nimble. The Jeep cherokees are nice and nimble too and very off road worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Brother uses a Cherokee and seems real happy with it.

cusecat04

FNG
hitch haul on the back?
that's where I put whitetails when traveling around the hometown with my folks Rogue. Wrap it in a tarp and ratchet strap down. usually wrap the head back toward the back end so put it on before it gets stiff but keeps the mess out of their ride.
I can drop it off at the processor whole and its easier to get off the hauler than try to pull a decent sized stiff deer out of the Sentra trunk...

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I need to get something higher clearance for some of the roads around me and I'm looking at an Outback. Found a 2012 with 130k miles for $10k that doesn't seem like an awful deal. I can't find a decent truck for less than $30k it seems like.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of driving an Outback over a truck, but the cost difference is considerable. And the Outback is fairly capable off road from what I've read.

I need to get something higher clearance for some of the roads around me and I'm looking at an Outback. Found a 2012 with 130k miles for $10k that doesn't seem like an awful deal. I can't find a decent truck for less than $30k it seems like.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of driving an Outback over a truck, but the cost difference is considerable. And the Outback is fairly capable off road from what I've read.
Unless you tow regularly and can let go of your ego, the Subaru is a far more cost effective and efficient vehicle. With decent tires they will go everywhere and then some that most guys in pickups are going.

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you tow regularly and can let go of your ego, the Subaru is a far more cost effective and efficient vehicle. With decent tires they will go everywhere and then some that most guys in pickups are going.
Let go of my ego, great advice, I wish I wasn't as hung up on having at truck. I'm seriously considering it!

H

HappyHuntr

What about a 2000’s Toyota Tacoma. Those are 15k or less around where i live. What state are u in?