Official Montana 2022 draw thread!

Did you draw and with how many preference points?

• 0 points, successful

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • 0 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 1 point, successful

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 1 point, unsuccessful

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • 2 points, successful

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • 2 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 3 points, successful

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • 3 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Resident/NA

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Bones72

FNG
Drew a general tag with 0 PPs. I'm shocked to report we didn't draw the Elkhorns for the LE permit. I mean seriously, we had 3 bonus points!!! :eek:;):)
I had 3 elk preference points and 3 elk bonus points. Nothing, frustrating to say the least!!!

OP
B
This thread is awesome.

Part of the reason you guys are confused is the poll doesn't even scratch the surface of the draw complexity.

For NR You have-
Deer combo
Elk combo
Biggame combo
Released tags elk combo
Released tags deer combo
Released tags biggame combo
Returned deer tags from biggame combo?
Averaging of pp not captured in poll

-I'm sure I've missed some and some of the above is incorrect but that's the gist of it.

View attachment 401541
Yeah if the poll were to be accurate it would’ve had a LOT more choices… I was trying to keep it simple as most of us are concerned about NR preference point draw odds not LE.

Leave it to FWP to overcomplicate things.

Scoot

WKR
I had 3 elk preference points and 3 elk bonus points. Nothing, frustrating to say the least!!!
No nothing frustrating-- I was being sarcastic about the LE permit. I'm guessing we had less than 1% chance to draw it.

204guy

WKR
Yeah if the poll were to be accurate it would’ve had a LOT more choices… I was trying to keep it simple as most of us are concerned about NR preference point draw odds not LE.

Leave it to FWP to overcomplicate things.
Every scenario I post was about pp not bonus points.
There's 3 different intertwined combo draws happening at the same time.

CBB

FNG
Personally I believe setting 25% aside for 0 point holders is bull shit. Why did I waste time and $ buying a point last summer to have 25% of the quota given to people with no points.

I could see setting 500 tags aside for people who have never hunted big game in MT. The first timers. The rest of the tags should be awarded to people by via the draw based on points. If I lose with 1 to someone with 2 fine. But people with 1, 2, 3 or however many shouldn't lose to people with 0

Legend

WKR
This is a little off topic but has anyone else been given a "Hound Training License." I checked my reciept and never paid for one. And I do not have a hound either. But I have a hound training license this year.

Just an example of the lack of consistency with our draw/licensing system. Needs an outside audit!!!

Personally I believe setting 25% aside for 0 point holders is bull shit. Why did I waste time and $ buying a point last summer to have 25% of the quota given to people with no points.

I could see setting 500 tags aside for people who have never hunted big game in MT. The first timers. The rest of the tags should be awarded to people by via the draw based on points. If I lose with 1 to someone with 2 fine. But people with 1, 2, 3 or however many shouldn't lose to people with 0

This wasn’t new this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR

Are you asking us why you did something? I think only you can answer that. This has been the rule in MT for a long time. No one is forcing you to enter into the points game, you chose to do that.

I personally wish every state would completely do away with points systems. It would be easy. Stop letting people buy points and give people 5 years or so to burn their existing points or lose them, then everything goes random. No more point creep, and more importantly, no more having to listen to people whine about it. It's win-win!

In the meantime I'm glad that MT allows people into the draw who chose not to play this silly game.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Blame yourself for not understanding how the system works.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Sounds like fwp is gonna release some sort of statement on what happened. If I was a resident that had my application pulled from this I would be livid the regulations say first choice only for those elk tags. It does not say first AND only choice. Fwp messed up here and needs to do something to fix this

They are not going to redo the draw...that aint happening.

What happened is that they moved a bunch of permits to a FIRST and ONLY choice, meaning you cannot put a second choice if you select that permit as a first choice. However, the system still allowed you to put a second choice in if you picked on of those units. Instead of being decent human beings and just ignoring the second and third choice, FWP chose to throw you out of the draw completely if you made that mistake.

Really crappy thing to do and they need to fix it for next year so that if you select a first and only unit it blocks you from selecting a second and third choice like they do with the 900-20 Antelope permit, but nothing can be done at this point.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING AND THEORY. IT IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
That makes sense, that is exactly what I did. As of now I do not have any successful licenses/permits but under my deer combo it is "retained". Elk combo "released". According to FWP the draw is complete and I did not draw the Elk combo (I selected to retain Elk combo if I didn't draw BGC). Does anyone have confirmation the general elk/deer draw is complete?

OP
B
Every scenario I post was about pp not bonus points.
There's 3 different intertwined combo draws happening at the same time.
I’m aware, I think there is some additional confusion with the LE stuff, that said the deer vs elk vs big game combo general tag numbers are all generally pretty close when it’s all said and done in years past, which is why I didn’t specify.

Sounds like fwp is gonna release some sort of statement on what happened. If I was a resident that had my application pulled from this I would be livid the regulations say first choice only for those elk tags. It does not say first AND only choice. Fwp messed up here and needs to do something to fix this

I'll be curious as to what they say. If this is the case there are alot of us that completely misinterpreted the "first choice only" selection. You'd also think that alot of the first choice only LE permits were not allocated.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider

I am hearing even worse is going to happen. Sounds like they might have a redraw for people that had their application screwed up, basically giving out more permits than the quota (I'm hearing 10% more). So happy that I live in a state that values our wildlife. Hopefully Worsech gets fired over this.