Official Montana 2022 draw thread!

Did you draw and with how many preference points?

• 0 points, successful

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • 0 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 1 point, successful

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 1 point, unsuccessful

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • 2 points, successful

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • 2 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 3 points, successful

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • 3 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Resident/NA

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

NDGuy

WKR
They may draw a general tag, but does not guarantee the LE permit draw. He's saying they're only realistically in play to draw an LE permit every 2 or 3 years because of that. Costs a lot of money to NOT hunt in MT at that rate. Outfitters are the only winners in the new system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes exactly I broke it down above. Frustrating buying into the point system and being ganked from even getting a chance at LE Elk tag after accumulating enough points to have even 20% odds.

Actually I think the retained part is becuse I selected to keep my deer tag in the case that I didn't draw my elk...which seemed to have happened. I also think that my elk B permit is still pending because I can somehow get a leftover or alternate elk license and hunt off of that? Who the eff knows???? LOL
Do you not read the replies posted for you?
Did you read the regs?
The B list deadline isn't even until June 1 the drawing is after that.

What exactly did you apply for because you don't apply for deer and elk separately.
Its
Elk combo
Deer combo
Big game combo which is both at the same time.
Elk B

Sounds like you applied for deer and elk b.

Erict

WKR
Party of 5, average of 2.000 PP, drew our deer combos.

Based on many of the comments here, MT could and should to a much better job of redesigning/rewording the customer side of their system. You should be able to log in to ONE PLACE and get a complete picture of all of your holdings. In plain English it should be clear exactly what you drew and what you did not draw. If they want to say "Retained" or "Released", provide a simple explanation what that means on that page. It should be clear what your Preference Point (PP) balance and Bonus Point (BP) balances are after the draw. Instead, probably hundreds of confused sportsmen are going to be making phone calls because they can't figure out what they are looking at. Seems like a simple fix.

I think I understand their system better than most but WTF? I just logged in to view my "holdings" and the "Base Bonus and Preference Points" section isn't even appearing for me. I have Antelope Bonus points, so that should appear. I tried using Firefox and also Chrome browsers just to be sure it wasn't me.

The next month probably isn't the best time to file a complaint with FWP, but if you don't like the current system you may be best voicing your complaint at some point.

Last edited:

ez_willie

WKR
Party of 3 drew BG combo with 2 points.

Guess I don’t understand the MT draw at all? I thought MT was a pref point state and all 3 point holders drew, then 2 point got their turn, then if there were still tags left 1 point holders got their turn. Then of course the 25% retained for people with 0 points.

Im seeing people on this thread with 1 point who drew, and others say they had 2 points and didn’t. Very confusing. Oh well. Im going hunting.
Don't believe everything you see on Rokslide.

Guess I don’t understand the MT draw at all? I thought MT was a pref point state and all 3 point holders drew, then 2 point got their turn, then if there were still tags left 1 point holders got their turn. Then of course the 25% retained for people with 0 points.

Im seeing people on this thread with 1 point who drew, and others say they had 2 points and didn’t. Very confusing. Oh well. Im going hunting.
Did you read every reply and keep track?
Because if you're going of the poll the op posted doesn't allow for decimals, we actually had 2.5 but I selected 2 in the poll because I sure didn't have 3.
Plus I think people still get preference and bonus points confused.
Preference are not rounded, bonus are.
So they may not have actually had 2 but thought they had 2 because they thought preference are rounded.

I feel bad for anyone who drew a LE permit. Word is there was an IT issue with bonus points and they are going to have to redraw.
Anyone else hearing/confirm this?

I feel bad for anyone who drew a LE permit. Word is there was an IT issue with bonus points and they are going to have to redraw.

Say what? Ugh… just went read about the issues on other forums. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Here’s where the confusion comes in.
Yes the first 75% of tags are a true PP system, 3pts draw before 2 points, once 12,750 tags(75%) are drawn the remaining 25% goes to 0 point holders. After all of the tags are drawn they move onto the LE tag drawing, once this draw is finished they generate a list tags from applicants who did not draw their LE tag and chose To forfeit their combo tag so they can retain their pp. They then draw for these tags which are all of the Released tags. I’m not sure but I believe these tags do not follow any pp structure and are a general draw

Spence14

WKR
Picked up a General Elk Tag (released) on 1.5 pt party app. Wasn’t expecting to draw so a nice surprise this morning. Now let’s just hope the smoke isn’t as bad as my 2020 mt elk tag 😅

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any real confirmed info on the bonus point mess? Lot's of rumors about bonus points not being applied in the LE draw, but have not seen or heard anything official. I was only at about 10% chance so wasn't really expecting to draw, but would like to know if they truly are going to re-draw before making any further decisions.

NDGuy

WKR
Anyone have any real confirmed info on the bonus point mess? Lot's of rumors about bonus points not being applied in the LE draw, but have not seen or heard anything official. I was only at about 10% chance so wasn't really expecting to draw, but would like to know if they truly are going to re-draw before making any further decisions.
Nobody knows it's an internet forum.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody knows it's an internet forum.

Somebody knows... Yes, there is a lot of BS that gets thrown around on forums, but in my expereince where there is smoke there is fire with rumors of this nature. Guess we will see.

Legend

WKR
I heard the same rumor from inside the department that they screwed up the draw. Haven't heard the remedy. It has happened in the past and they have just kept it quiet.

Nothing posted on their website. If they were going to have to scrap it and start over I would think they would need to say something by end of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk