Official Montana 2022 draw thread!

Did you draw and with how many preference points?

• 0 points, successful

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • 0 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 1 point, successful

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 1 point, unsuccessful

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • 2 points, successful

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • 2 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 3 points, successful

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • 3 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Resident/NA

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did not draw the deer combo with 1 point which I knew was going to happen. I am really confused though--I did not draw last year for the deer combo with 0 points. I went in this year with 1 point. I should have 2 points now? Bonus points I am even confused more on. From what I recall I don't ever remember purchasing "b" licenses.
2aa4efbbc449f596ba259460717b6330.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Did you check the box to purchase a preference point if not drawn?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I do not recall doing that and from what I think you are telling me is I am out a point now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Any value I may have given the poll results went straight in the shitter when I saw 5 people selected the 3 PP, unsuccessful option.

And how were 4 people successful with 1 point when 2 points wasn't guaranteed?

Claypa

FNG
0F9521F3-95A4-4ED0-84B1-3B3513E13BC7.pngCan anyone explain why the general elk combo is listed as both successful and unsuccessful? Does it mean I drew a tag someone else turned back in and if that is the case, was it not as a party application? I applied with a buddy with 1 point for me and 2 points for myself.

View attachment 402972Can anyone explain why the general elk combo is listed as both successful and unsuccessful? Does it mean I drew a tag someone else turned back in and if that is the case, was it not as a party application? I applied with a buddy with 1 point for me and 2 points for myself.

Correct. I'd assume that means you got a returned tag but the party did not.

Erict

WKR
Any value I may have given the poll results went straight in the shitter when I saw 5 people selected the 3 PP, unsuccessful option.

And how were 4 people successful with 1 point when 2 points wasn't guaranteed?
Not very likely there were that many in this relatively small sample size, but it is possible if they were members of a PARTY with a low or high average.

PARTY applications present an odd side - If I had 3 PP this year but didn't want to apply AND didn't want to lose my PP I could apply as a party with my brother who has 0 PP giving us a group average of 1.500. This would be an almost guaranteed no-draw and we'd get refunded most of the money. As long as we applied every year the same way we could do this until the year I wanted to hunt, where I'd apply as an individual with 3 PP and be virtually guaranteed.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I was unsuccessful this year. My elk bonus point is showing up like others now, but deer isn’t showing the new point.

I’ll give it some time, but may have to make a phone call.

Not very likely there were that many in this relatively small sample size, but it is possible if they were members of a PARTY with a low or high average.

PARTY applications present an odd side - If I had 3 PP this year but didn't want to apply AND didn't want to lose my PP I could apply as a party with my brother who has 0 PP giving us a group average of 1.500. This would be an almost guaranteed no-draw and we'd get refunded most of the money. As long as we applied every year the same way we could do this until the year I wanted to hunt, where I'd apply as an individual with 3 PP and be virtually guaranteed.

The original post indicated the purpose of the poll was to get preliminary data. I get what you’re saying but it’s kind of contrary to the purpose and makes the results of the poll pretty worthless.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone receive their refund check yet?
I didn't receive mine last summer until end of June...it'll be a bit before that comes back.

Anyone know when they post the draw data for 2022? I can't remember when the nonresident combo data was posted...is it usually post-new year sometime?

Since the application period had officially ended figured it was time to start such a thread.

Post what you applied for and number of preference points (or unit and bonus points if applicable.) Once the results are posted edit and post whether you were successful.

Curious what kind of preliminary data we can gather with the recent changes.

Applied for the Big game combo with 1 preference point this year.

Like many I almost went zero, but MT is a backup this year with plans to be back in 23 or 24.

I’ll edit and update with a poll once the results post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I missed this thread. I struck out but Tanya drew this year. I'm probably more excited than she is. I just read on another forum that ALL the elk move to private during rifle reason in MT. I hope people believe that. Last year I saw over sixty bulls and twenty one were six points on public land. Ended up shooting a great bull. Make a plan and go hunt hard!

4e380e6363f3dfed533be5bde2576ec5.jpg

be2ea22a009a0699bd6c7573a52d5e5e.jpg

13dadae315807b9daa9687f63146bf64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I missed this thread. I struck out but Tanya drew this year. I'm probably more excited than she is. I just read on another forum that ALL the elk move to private during rifle reason in MT. I hope people believe that. Last year I saw over sixty bulls and twenty one where six points on public land. Ended up shooting a great bull. Make a plan and go hunt hard!

4e380e6363f3dfed533be5bde2576ec5.jpg

be2ea22a009a0699bd6c7573a52d5e5e.jpg

13dadae315807b9daa9687f63146bf64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They don’t move there just before rifle season! They actually leave public a few days before the archery opener!!! So everyone just stay home this year, don’t waste the fuel 😬🤪