New Ruger American Gen II

Snailz

FNG
I have a gen 1 in .308 Predator, I missed a cow elk last weekend when I shouldn't have. I went to check zero with my last remaining 6 rounds I had loaded which was 178gr ELDM over IMR4895. The scope had in fact lost zero. But the gun printed a 3/4" (measured) 6 shot group at 100 yards. No one can say they aren't accurate.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
If you want to keep things budget, Blackhound ran several sales last year where things were 45% off. Who tee who had a code for an extra 10%. Got the genesis 6-24 x 50 for like $210. That’s with decent rings included. Be patient and I’m sure they’ll run another one fairly soon.

grfox92

WKR
If you want to keep things budget, Blackhound ran several sales last year where things were 45% off. Who tee who had a code for an extra 10%. Got the genesis 6-24 x 50 for like $210. That’s with decent rings included. Be patient and I’m sure they’ll run another one fairly soon.
What?

grfox92

WKR
Sorry this came across like a spam post.

Never heard of Blackhound. No idea anything about their reliability, definetly wouldn't buy one until they have been tried and tested.

Snailz

FNG

Never heard of Blackhound. No idea anything about their reliability, definetly wouldn't buy one until they have been tried and tested.

Look them up then? They’re a pretty well known optics company at this point. I figure if you’re taking an RA out in the field, you’re not looking to mount an $800+ scope on it. Blackhound genesis are a pretty run of the mill budget target scope (~$400) that are similar to the base level arken scopes. But Blackhound is the only one I’ve seen running that big of a sale and at $200-250 they blow everything in that price range out of the water. For that much of a sale you can go up a product tier if you want something lighter for mountain hunting. I’d be giving the same pitch for Arken, Vortex, Leupold, SWFA, whoever, if they ran sales that aggressive since a lot of the offerings in the low and mid tier price brackets perform similarly. Nobody wants to buy a six of one half dozen of the other product and then see one of the other options is on sale for 50% off like a month later.

Anyone got an idea what speeds a 16” 6mm ARC would get with hand loads? I’d like to do some calculations.

KenLee

WKR

Blackhound is owned by Riton. I looked at one of the Genesis scopes. Not a fan of the reticle, but I'd snatch one up quick for $210

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know whether one piece base/rings from the first generation would fit if you removed the rail?

No. I bought a Tikka Roughtech last month with a threaded barrel for $1050.

But, the Gen 2 is likely to be available for $300 less. I think they were looking to compete against the CVA Cascade

Main thing with the Ruger is the 20” barrel length vs the 22-24” Tikka barrels.

Sportsmans Warehouse did have some 20” barrel Tikkas. Maybe an exclusive through them.

CTR and UPRs have 20” barrel availability but heavier builds.

Unckebob

WKR
The Tikka Roughtech can be had for $999 on eurooptic. A blued Tikka is $799, + $150 for threading, plus $125 for a brake is $1075. Not sure how it's cheaper to thread a Tikka. Roughtech also comes with heavier contour barrel and is fluted.

My 6.5PRC Roughtech is handier with the 24" barrel than I expected. I think the overall weight feels much lighter than it should. The only thing I don't like is the magazine sticking out the bottom so far.

BTW: Chopping and cutting a Roughtech is limited to about 22" before you run into the barrel flutes. Someone looking to go short should avoid it.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
My 6.5PRC Roughtech is handier with the 24" barrel than I expected. I think the overall weight feels much lighter than it should. The only think I don't like is the magazine sticking out the bottom so far.

BTW: Chopping and cutting a Roughtech is limited to about 22" before you run into the barrel flutes. Someone looking to go short should avoid it.
I'm almost possitive those can be cut into the flutes and threaded with a shoulder. I'm pretty sure I've seen it here on RS. Definetly wouldn't be 5/8, but pretty sure it can be done.

grfox92

WKR
I'm almost possitive those can be cut into the flutes and threaded with a shoulder. I'm pretty sure I've seen it here on RS. Definetly wouldn't be 5/8, but pretty sure it can be done.

100% can be done.

Unckebob

WKR

Thank you.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have one of these warlocks in there hands? Curious if u can take that butt part and flip it to raise it up.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Does anyone have one of these warlocks in there hands? Curious if u can take that butt part and flip it to raise it up.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
The butt comes off as does the cheek riser and ruger is making weights in case you want to add weight to the rifle. Not sure you can adjust the orientation of the but stock itself.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Two major misses with this that cost Ruger nothing. The reach to the trigger looks the same as the first American which is to far and drop at the recoil pad looks like it belongs on an iron sight gun. Very disappointing.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Snailz

FNG
I think it looks good. I might be tempted to get this in 7prc
That’s where I’m at too. Between Ruger, CVA, and Tikka once they come out. My real hope is that Tikka and Sako release at the same time and the S20 hunter gets released and is available at the sales price some models have been on Europoptic ($999). That would be an absolute dynamite option worth spending extra for. Otherwise I’ll probably save my money and get the Ruger. You can add an aftermarket trigger and still come under what the other two have been going for. CVA and Tikkas have both steadily crept up in price over the last few years to the point where the Ruger at under $600 is comparable depending on your priorities and tastes.

Snailz

FNG
Two major misses with this that cost Ruger nothing. The reach to the trigger looks the same as the first American which is to far and drop at the recoil pad looks like it belongs on an iron sight gun. Very disappointing.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
Well the LOP is adjustable down to 12” so that’s not as much of a concern. They compensate for the comb drop with the three heights of cheek piece available. One concern I have is the recoil pad shape. It might be a little too curved to sit well if you want to have the rifle close to center mass instead of in the shoulder pocket. Pretty niche issue all things considered. I think it’s a rather well thought out design with flexibility to accommodate most shooters.

Haven't scrolled all the way through this post yet to see if any one of you has bought one yet, but I got the ranch in 223 for 550. Haven't had time to shoot any yet, but it's definitely a light packable rifle and seems well made
27a3e0a06d39b03188f555172ba8ab80.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk