New Ruger American Gen II

I have no idea what the RA gen 2 will cost, but I suspect a cut Tikka will still come in above that price. Although I have an original RA and a Tikka, I've not spent any time comparing them and couldn't say which shoots better. I have nothing against the RA but personally prefer the Tikka.
The tikka feels better. As does my. Browning. But I put them all in a vice and shot. It was significantly better. Those RA just shoot.

Mags suck on mine, the older rotary mags, as does the stock. But if I was having to shoot a group for money…American!!

grfox92

WKR
The tikka feels better. As does my. Browning. But I put them all in a vice and shot. It was significantly better. Those RA just shoot.

Mags suck on mine, the older rotary mags, as does the stock. But if I was having to shoot a group for money…American!!
I need a to find a fix for the mag. I thought if you ran the bold like it owes you money it always feeds, not the case. Sometimes it doesn't feed and I need to tap the magazine up I to the mag well then it feeds. Thinking maybe I need to ram that mag upwards everytime I seat it.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Zjgood

FNG
The new rifles do look sweet, I only wish I hadn’t just bought an older version a few months ago. Really can’t complain tho the original American has been very accurate for me and always goes bang when I pull the trigger

Every budget gun thread on Rokslide inevitably turns into “why not spend just a few hundred more for a Tikka”.

These things are going to sell like hotcakes. I will probably buy one (22 ARC/6ARC/6Creed).

When you consider the attractive features and chamberings offered, AND the low price point it’s kind of a no brainer. Sure for a 243/270/308 a Tikka is probably a better buy. But the price difference becomes staggering when you just buy a Tikka and then drop over the initial cost of the rifle to modify it to what you want. You can’t really compare a $1500+ semi custom to a $600 factory rifle.
Well I bought an axis when I first started out a long time ago and wish someone told me to get a Tikka. Yea it shot ok and I shot some nice animals, but it has random light primer strike issues so I donttrust it to take in the field and can't sell it for anything substantial. Kind of a waste now. Now I have 4 tikkas. Blued are still 650 online and stainless 720 if you shop around. And when I didn't like my 3006 anymore I was able to get most of my money back selling locally on consignment bc Tikkas do well holding their value. Just another way to look at it.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor. I looked at the Ruger American and compared the tikka. for me the selling point was the smother action of the tikka and trigger. However this second generation Ruger supposed to be much smoother. I really like the fact the gun comes with factory brake. Something only the high-end Tikkas come with. I love the looks of the stock and fluted barrel. Looks like you are getting a lot for this price point. I must say I not a big fan of the magazine. no word from Ruger if they offer this in left hand, But i think down the road they will replace first gen in left hand. If that's the case I will get one in 22 ARC

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Tikka junkie, but I will definitely be getting one in 204, if they offer them in left handed.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I need a to find a fix for the mag. I thought if you ran the bold like it owes you money it always feeds, not the case. Sometimes it doesn't feed and I need to tap the magazine up I to the mag well then it feeds. Thinking maybe I need to ram that mag upwards everytime I seat it.

If it's the 308/6.5cm magazine your having issues with the Ruger 450 bushmaster magazine might be much better. I haven't had an issue with it in a couple hundred rounds on my ra 6.5cm and is a direct fit. it only has a 3 round capacity and is single stack but feeds much more reliably compared to the rotary magazine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Snailz

FNG
I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor. I looked at the Ruger American and compared the tikka. for me the selling point was the smother action of the tikka and trigger. However this second generation Ruger supposed to be much smoother. I really like the fact the gun comes with factory brake. Something only the high-end Tikkas come with. I love the looks of the stock and fluted barrel. Looks like you are getting a lot for this price point. I must say I not a big fan of the magazine. no word from Ruger if they offer this in left hand, But i think down the road they will replace first gen in left hand. If that's the case I will get one in 22 ARC
As a fellow lefty, I’m wondering why you want to stick to a lefty rifle. That’s the biggest mistake I made when getting my first rifle. I think people don’t realize it yet, but almost everyone is shooting the wrong handed rifle because we inherited the legacy orientation from when people were regularly taking off-hand shots. If you’re on any sort of rest (I’d dare to say that’s most people when hunting, target shooting, or doing comps) it’s a lot smoother to run the bolt with your offhand. If you’re looking to still hunt and take standing shots, you’re probably better suited running a lever gun of a semi-auto. But shhhhh, don’t tell anyone else that lefties are actually doing it the right way.

grfox92

WKR
If it's the 308/6.5cm magazine your having issues with the Ruger 450 bushmaster magazine might be much better. I haven't had an issue with it in a couple hundred rounds on my ra 6.5cm and is a direct fit. it only has a 3 round capacity and is single stack but feeds much more reliably compared to the rotary magazine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
It is in fact a .308, I will try ordering one. Thanks.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks @NEWYORKHILLBILLY , I was able to snag it since you let me know. Thanks again

As a fellow lefty, I’m wondering why you want to stick to a lefty rifle. That’s the biggest mistake I made when getting my first rifle. I think people don’t realize it yet, but almost everyone is shooting the wrong handed rifle because we inherited the legacy orientation from when people were regularly taking off-hand shots. If you’re on any sort of rest (I’d dare to say that’s most people when hunting, target shooting, or doing comps) it’s a lot smoother to run the bolt with your offhand. If you’re looking to still hunt and take standing shots, you’re probably better suited running a lever gun of a semi-auto. But shhhhh, don’t tell anyone else that lefties are actually doing it the right way.
In the tikka and many other riffles if you shoot a right-handed gun left handed your safety is on the wrong side. I find it very award in a hunting situation. Also any type of stock with a palm swell or Montecarlo or cast will be wrong. although you can get left hand stocks for right handed guns and I do have some of them with the Ruger safety in middle it may work better. I shot right-handed guns for years and am right-handed but left eye dominant. I consider trying one of these but then I have one gun with the bolt on the right side and 3 other riffles with bolt on the left. I am sure with a little practice i could get used to it especially being I am right handed . In fact it might work very well as you stated. But what happens if the next Riffel I buy doesn't have a center safety. I think you have to pick a side and stick with it. either could side will work. we could all drive cars with steering wheel on passenger side after you got used to it, But if you jump into one today its going to feel very award.

Snailz

FNG
In the tikka and many other riffles if you shoot a right-handed gun left handed your safety is on the wrong side. I find it very award in a hunting situation. Also any type of stock with a palm swell or Montecarlo or cast will be wrong. although you can get left hand stocks for right handed guns and I do have some of them with the Ruger safety in middle it may work better. I shot right-handed guns for years and am right-handed but left eye dominant. I consider trying one of these but then I have one gun with the bolt on the right side and 3 other riffles with bolt on the left. I am sure with a little practice i could get used to it especially being I am right handed . In fact it might work very well as you stated. But what happens if the next Riffel I buy doesn't have a center safety. I think you have to pick a side and stick with it. either could side will work. we could all drive cars with steering wheel on passenger side after you got used to it, But if you jump into one today its going to feel very award.
Yeah I feel you on the stock issue. One of the reasons I don’t look at weatherby vanguards. I’ve only ever run a center safety so I didn’t really consider that, but unless your left hand would make contact while gripping I don’t see it being that much of an issue. I just find it much smoother and easier to stay on target when your shooting hand stays on and controls the rifle while your off hand cycles the bolt. It can save you that half second of panic from needing to reacquire your target if you lose it while cycling the bolt to be ready for a potential follow up.

Rich M

WKR
I saw someone on you tube or something that cut down an extended mag and made a 3 rnd mag. I keep intending to do that with my 350 Legend.

I will be checking the new Ruger American out - either need a new 243 or maybe something diff.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing them online now, $550 seems to be a going rate. That's not bad.
If that's the case, it's pretty much a done deal that I'll be getting one. I planned on getting one if they were $650. I still need to handle one first though.

Who hunts with a bench? Or a sturdy rest?
J/k
I’m all fairness, I bought a left handed rifle once because it was a smoking deal. Got rid of it.

I did start using poles and what not, but still
Need to think about off hand shooting. I’m not a long range hunter though.