Mtn Lion Ban Filed in Colorado

Hnthrdr

WKR
The antis won't bother to read it anyway or learn anything. Their entire base is driven by emotion and fake science.
This is true, but this is good info for the middle ground folks who just don’t know enough about the subject but give them stuff like this from the agency and it lays out the argument for hunting pretty plainly

mjh

FNG
My mother lives not to far from Elizabeth in a housing development with tall pines, gully washes, open spaces, and walking trails. Lots of mule deer in the neighborhood. A mountain lion as well. My brother saw it one morning when he was there--went out on the back patio for a smoke--mountain lion bolted by. Tracks seen every winter for the last 3. Neighbors have noted the same. Sounds like a resident animal to me. I strongly suggested to both he and my mother not to support a lion hunting ban, and I suggest they talk to their neighbors.

My mother lives not to far from Elizabeth in a housing development with tall pines, gully washes, open spaces, and walking trails. Lots of mule deer in the neighborhood. A mountain lion as well. My brother saw it one morning when he was there--went out on the back patio for a smoke--mountain lion bolted by. Tracks seen every winter for the last 3. Neighbors have noted the same. Sounds like a resident animal to me. I strongly suggested to both he and my mother not to support a lion hunting ban, and I suggest they talk to their neighbors.

We had one next to the elementary school last year, but common sense is hard to come by these days.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
https://savethehuntcolorado.com/ I just dropped a check in the mail to the folks at Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management. Please consider supporting them, and reach out to anyone you may know in Colorado. This is a winnable fight; Prop 114 barely passed 3 years ago, and many voters would have voted differently if they had received better information. Left leaning voters are not impervious to facts and reason, if we engage folks respectfully and show them why hunting is a critical component of science-based wildlife management, we can prevail over this reckless idea. But if this proposition passes, it's proponents will almost certainly follow up on their success with a similar proposition to ban wolf hunting, and we'll be facing unrestrained predation in Colorado for a generation, and the big losers will be wildlife and hunters. End of speech.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I don't live in CO but I do hunt there occasionally. I sent in some money to the CRWM folks to help fight this. I absolutely hate ballot box biology and this kind of attack on hunting.

I lived in CA for a long time. Only lion I have ever shot was on a depredation permit because it was eating a friends goats that lived on the edge of town. The lion hunting ban there was the most ridiculous thing ever. I couldn't vote at the time otherwise I would have voted no. Now you can't even trap or hunt bobcats in that State. And there is a constant effort to ban bear hunting there as well.

It won't ever stop if the PETA folks get one of the bans to pass. They will just keep coming for more and more animals until all hunting is banned.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you need some ammo for the middle ground swayed by emotion why lions need to be managed and deterred from being around developed areas:

Dog recovering after mountain lion attack near Keystone​

IMG_1453_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the 1900's, graduated from CSU in Fort Fun. My senior project was lion predation on pets in the urban/undeveloped interface. Even way back then, cats prowled around those areas. And ate pets. It is a shame when wildlife management is done via ballot measures and/or legislatures. It typically does not end well for anyone involved. Like most on this forum, I have spent a lot of time in the western mountains, and can count on one hand the number of lions I have seen when not actively hunting using hounds. Do people expect they will be able to view them like the elk in Estes Park? SMH. For most, the only interaction with lions will be negative. I struggle to see any upside to this initiative.

If you need some ammo for the middle ground swayed by emotion why lions need to be managed and deterred from being around developed areas:

Dog recovering after mountain lion attack near Keystone​

IMG_1453_2.jpg
Yea we honestly need more stories like this. And we need them flooding the news and reaching all the city people.

I think that touches heart strings with people and they vote because they are scared of stuff

We had a kid get attacked up here few years ago. His dad was able to save him but he is missing an eye now.

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 14

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep. One thing I'm a little unclear about, are any of the advocate groups that are prohunting going to have a media campaign on this CO matter? We absolutely need the science based logic there for validity, BUT having some dispersion/reposting of these factual but emotion inducing examples seems a wise thing too leading into this vote. Frankly I'm not entirely clear what the plan of attack from Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management is, does anyone know? I know they are fundraising but how do they intend to deploy said funds?

I will straight up admit I haven't directly inquired with them about this question, I just have reviewed their website and didn't see anything about how they plan to fight back on this one. (Hopefully they encouraged that CPW FAQ release?) Maybe that's cause they are worried about showing their cards to the anti-groups?

Personally I hate political mailers but seems like a large format double sided cardstock mailer going out with some emotional pictures like that one, excerpts from attack articles (with sources noted for validity) and excerpts from the CPW faq (and a source noted for validity) could have some traction. You telling me seeing that one eye'd dog with scares isn't going to cause a double take before someone bins that mailer? I toss all that stuff away and that would stop me for a moment to look at it, as long as it was factual I'd have a hard time dismissing the image.

You wouldn't even have to blanket the state with something like that, just look at the areas that voted heavily in favor of the wolf introduction and hit those areas. We know the rest of the state isn't going to vote for the ban in mass.

CRWM has a plan for media. Timing is everything with ballot initiatives so they are going to be strategic in their launching. They are getting lots of free media on lots of hunting platforms (Thanks Rokslide!!!). Their strategy so far has been pretty effective. Proponents pulled ballot initiative #101 this week. They are just now gathering signatures for #91. I think we can beat this but we have to keep fundraising. If you are able, please consider donating.

The kifarucast with CRWM was good. Hopefully this organization doesn’t turn into another BHA or a group that’s so eager to take non-resident money now but will be first in line to throw non-residents under the bus.