CO Mtn Lion hunting ban ballot initiative

Starting out the same way the wolf reintroduction did. Folks should take note. I remember running into a college girl at a festival is Fort Collins asking me to sign the wolf petition. I just laughed and walked away....never gonna happen. Well here we are, and boy was I wrong. This too may go the way of the Colorado wolf if we dont stand against it.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
This will be a fight against Kalifornia $$'s. The same place the Center for Biological Diversity is pushing for protection under the CESA, the California Endangered Species Act. Hate to be a fatalist, but this will have the same endgame as wolf reintro.

Rich M

WKR
Should push to get a sasquatch or bigfoot license. That way they’ll come against it and “seem silly”.

striped1

FNG
Colorado is just east california now. It is nearly completely lost. You can thank the uber libs in Denver, Boulder, Vail, Crested Butte, etc.
Colorado is ******.

def90

WKR
It's a ballot initiative, if it has enough signatures to get on the ballot it will pass. The Colorado ballot initiative procedure needs to be changed.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's a ballot initiative, if it has enough signatures to get on the ballot it will pass. The Colorado ballot initiative procedure needs to be changed.
And because of that CPW is not permiited to comment. Same with the wolf reintro.

I just donated to Backcountry hunters and Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management. I am not sure of the latter's funding-to-spending ratios, etc., but they are a start. We need hit this head on because the good folks remaining at CPW hand's are tied.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I just donated to Backcountry hunters and Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management. I am not sure of the latter's funding-to-spending ratios, etc., but they are a start. We need hit this head on because the good folks remaining at CPW hand's are tied.
I’d be careful with BHA… they tend to not really stand for much and didn’t say a peep about the wolf prop until it was over. CRWM on the other hand is more about protecting hunting in Co and less about “pint nights” and being hip

GSPHUNTER

WKR
It would be a reasonable compromise to allow Mt. lion hunted with a limited number of tags allow, enough to keep the numbers in check. Personally I would be okay with no restrictions at all, but a compromise would be the next best thing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It would be a reasonable compromise to allow Mt. lion hunted with a limited number of tags allow, enough to keep the numbers in check. Personally I would be okay with no restrictions at all, but a compromise would be the next best thing.
Mt lions are already hunted on a very limited basis. Co uses a quota system, you have to call and check or look online every day. Most quotas are a single or few units grouped together and only allow for a few cats to be taken, once the quota is hit, the hunt in those units are closed. Often times there are little to no cats killed in a lot of units because of access or terrain.

ckleeves

WKR
It is currently a quota system and has been for years. Lions are very tightly managed for a stabile and healthy population.

10-4. Also trying to finish a podcast with Don Gates, Pres of CRWM at
. Seems like a guy with 110% the right thoughts on all this and leading the organizations we need to support.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It is currently a quota system and has been for years. Lions are very tightly managed for a stabile and healthy population.
If anything lions are trending towards over population than under population in much of the state. Cpw just has best guesses on lion & bear pops since they are almost impossible to get an accurate count

ckleeves

WKR
If anything lions are trending towards over population than under population in much of the state. Cpw just has best guesses on lion & bear pops since they are almost impossible to get an accurate count
It’s really hard to say? I’m not sure how the combined quotas are doing now vs how it was with each unit having its own quota. The unit 1 block still has 82 lions left on the quota as of today. I know some houndsman were concerned about over harvest In some areas and under harvest in others under the new system.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
So lame.

I fear for the day this crap starts happening in Idaho, probably only a matter of time as quickly as the Treasure Valley has grown.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s really hard to say? I’m not sure how the combined quotas are doing now vs how it was with each unit having its own quota. The unit 1 block still has 82 lions left on the quota as of today. I know some houndsman were concerned about over harvest In some areas and under harvest in others under the new system.
For sure, I need to check my lion regs but I was under the impression it was still a quota based on a mix of DAUs and some individual units. I know several units spend lots of time in I have seen lots of sign and gotten quite a few on cams and those units never hit their limit.