Mtn Lion Ban Filed in Colorado

Hnthrdr

WKR
I wonder, could people who actively hunt lions sue them for defamation? It seems like there could be a strong case if it passes.
Right, I mean this is pretty slanderous, tough thing if it was in a liberal Co court that was over seeing it.

UncleBone

WKR
Right, I mean this is pretty slanderous, tough thing if it was in a liberal Co court that was over seeing it.
It is the very definition of defamation. They don't have to specifically name you for it to be. I would say it even causes harm before it passes. It definitely hurts the reputation of any hunter, but especially those who hunt cats. How is it not illegal to lie to voters to gather signatures? I have always been into politics, and know everyone lies, but this is nonsense.

CoMulies

FNG
It is the very definition of defamation. They don't have to specifically name you for it to be. I would say it even causes harm before it passes. It definitely hurts the reputation of any hunter, but especially those who hunt cats. How is it not illegal to lie to voters to gather signatures? I have always been into politics, and know everyone lies, but this is nonsense.

Unfortunately not. The reasonable person needs to believe the statement is one of fact, expression of opinion is not defamatory. Regardless of how wrong they are, they are entitled to label it trophy hunting, as that is their opinion.

UncleBone

WKR
Unfortunately not. The reasonable person needs to believe the statement is one of fact, expression of opinion is not defamatory. Regardless of how wrong they are, they are entitled to label it trophy hunting, as that is their opinion.
They had to remove trophy hunting from the ballot initiative because it was false. I mean, their very definition of trophy hunting is that it isn't for food. Which is a blatant lie, considering the law says you have to consume mountain lions you hunt. They are also claiming lion hunters are killing females with kittens. Which is also illegal. Their whole platform is based on lies.

Attachments

• bf6da152f4d9e6a5c442f83df5280aa9.jpg
    bf6da152f4d9e6a5c442f83df5280aa9.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

CoMulies

FNG
They had to remove trophy hunting from the ballot initiative because it was false. I mean, their very definition of trophy hunting is that it isn't for food. Which is a blatant lie, considering the law says you have to consume mountain lions you hunt. They are also claiming lion hunters are killing females with kittens. Which is also illegal. Their whole platform is based on lies.

Definitely do not disagree with your overall premise, think fraud would be more appropriate, thought admittedly it’s been some time since I actually practiced law. Would have a difficult time proving actual damages for defamation beyond the sticky opinion issue.

But regardless, I think the best way to combat it is to continue exposing their lies for what they are. We need to make sure we show up for these CPW information sessions and ensure the average, reasonable voter is aware of these facts.

Their training video calls mountain lion hunting "trophy hunting" repeatedly. Says even though the words trophy hunting arent on the ballot initiative, it is good to call it that when gathering signatures because people know what it is and don't approve of it. So once again, they are straight up lying to voters to get some bullshut inititative passed.
Yes, they are intentionally using the term “trophy hunting” when that term was removed by the Secretary of State’s Title Board because it did not accurately describe the true intent of the initiative. I don’t think it constitutes fraud or defamation but could invalidate those petitions if they deviate from the actual language in the ballot initiative, would need dig into the rules/regulations on signature gathering to see. I would say it definitely opens them up to public criticism/Op-Eds in the media/news that they are intentionally misleading electors while gathering signatures. Who likes to write? ColoradoPolitics.com seems like a good place to start!

Last edited:

CoMulies

FNG
Yes, they are intentionally using the term “trophy hunting” when that term was removed by the Secretary of State’s Title Board because it did not accurately describe the true intent of the initiative. I don’t think it constitutes fraud or defamation but could invalidate those petitions if they deviate from the actual language in the ballot initiative, would need dig into the rules/regulations on signature agreeing to see. I would say it definitely opens them up to public criticism/Op-Eds in the media/news that they are intentionally misleading electors while gathering signatures. Who likes to write? ColoradoPolitics.com seems like a good place to start!

Agreed, you’d be very hard pressed to get either to stick. I’d be up to pen something, but feel that it’d be best to wait to closer to the deadline, and then try to get them invalidated so that they don’t have time to go round up signatures again.

Saw this article. Confirms what we already knew that anti-hunting groups out of state are funding this thing. I will say $200,000 doesn’t get you very far on a ballot initiative in Colorado.

And yes apparently Carole Baskins is publicly supporting Prop #91. She has had a few articles and social media stuff.

Overdrive

WKR
Who are the houndsmen killing female cats? 🤔 43% is a bad look, whether sustainable or not it def looks bad to the disney folks.
I don't think it's many houndsmen harvesting females as much as someone who buys a licenses for the chance encounter. I buy a license every year in case I see a Mtn Lion while out doing activities in the winter. It's pretty hard to identify a male from female at a 100 yards.

Trial153

WKR
Don’t units have a female quota? So say the quota is 10 loins in zone XYZ with max of two females . It can close the zone with a say 5 loins, 2 females …. So a 40% female harvest.

Where as say the quota was met at 10 and there were two females there would be 20% harvest.

The beauty of hunting with hounds for cats and bears is how selective we can be. I bet my free to kill ratio is over 20 to 1.

Overdrive

WKR
Don’t units have a female quota? So say the quota is 10 loins in zone XYZ with max of two females . It can close the zone with a say 5 loins, 2 females …. So a 40% female harvest.

Where as say the quota was met at 10 and there were two females there would be 20% harvest.

The beauty of hunting with hounds for cats and bears is how selective we can be. I bet my free to kill ratio is over 20 to 1.
The CPW doesn't have a set quota for Male to Female harvest (at least I've never seen a published number) because the license is Either Sex, but they do still shut down units if the Female harvest gets too high.

FWIW I talked with a warden years ago and he told me that when a Female is harvested it counts as 2 lions out of the quota. Don't know how true it is, I just took him at his word.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Anyone from evergreen? Or going to the evergreen meeting tonight? They will be trying to gather signatures there tonight. Would be a great time to Karen it up and call evergreen and ask why they are allowing political activity on city property. I’ll put a call in. I’m at work today

Hnthrdr

WKR
Got an email sounds like the cat ladies will try to show up in force at the golden meeting. I will be off and plan attending. Anyone going to be able to make it?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess what are we thinking with attending the meetings? The CPW isn't trying to make plans to ban lion hunting and the material they've published certainly indicates they want hunter harvest as a management tool. What we are concerned about is ballot box biology via voting initiatives which isn't relevant to the eastern slope lion planning. This planning is with the status quo in mind, right? If that initiative passes then they need to form an entire new plan I would think? Or am I missing something in all of this?