Big 2500 HD to tow junk 100s of miles, then how do you get to trail head?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd pay an extra $10k to not have an automatic.......and I'm a cheapskate.;)
I saved more than that when i bought mine. 35k on it and I bought it for 18k. Not gonna pay 30k plus for a stick. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is from Trucking info .com :The shelf life of DEF is directly related to the temperature at which it is stored. Storage temperatures between 12° and 86°F are recommended to maintain optimal shelf life of up to two years. DEF does freeze at 12°F, but a vehicle’s heating system will melt DEF so it is completely safe to operate a diesel vehicle under this temperature.

Yea full disclosure I have no clue. All I know is I had a pickup that did a lot of sitting, primarily in cold weather and I had to buy it a whole new DEF system to the tune of $7500+. When I asked the dodge dealer I took it to how to avoid such bills in the future those were his reccomendations.... not mine. I'm just regurgitating it in hopes to save someone else the expense. I've since listened and haven't had any emissions issues on that truck

dotman

WKR
Could be you're right. I haven't experienced any issues yet though. Maybe I'm immune to freezing here in Montana? And, so are all those new trucks sitting on dealer's lots? Not sure though.

New trucks don’t come with full tanks, barely any def is in it and they are supposed to fill it when it’s bought. DEF is 67% or higher water, it does freeze. If you have a full tank it can burst the tank, just set out a milk jug full of milk and see what happens.

dotman

WKR
From the Cummins website:

Q: What happens if DEF freezes?
A: Vehicle operation is not affected. During vehicle operation, SCR systems provide heat to the DEF tank and lines. The system thaws DEF rapidly and keeps it flowing to the aftertreatment system regardless of the outside temperature.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is formulated with 32.5 percent urea and 67.5 percent deionized water. In storage or when the engine is not in use, DEF will freeze at 12°F (-11°C). At this concentration level, the urea and the water freeze and thaw at the same rate – ensuring that you always have the correct amount of each. Engines with SCR are specifically programmed for optimal performance at this ratio, which is why it is important to make sure you get a quality brand of DEF that meets ISO specifications.

Cummins Aftertreatment Systems are designed with heated lines and DEF tanks. In extremely cold conditions, they will rapidly thaw the DEF solution. There will be no delay in engine startup.

There is one operational difference to note: Like any water-based fluid, DEF expands when it is frozen (by approximately 7 percent). In cold weather, when the operator shuts the vehicle down, waiting 60 seconds before turning off the battery will allow the fluid to drain back out of the hoses and into the DEF tank.

No anti-gelling additive or freeze point improver should ever be added to the DEF, as they will impede its ability to perform correctly and may damage SCR system components.

Now.....let's see. 7% of a 3.5 gallon (448oz) DEF tank = 31.36oz or 0.245gal That's about the volume of your fill tube. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers have taken into account that DEF will freeze in extremely cold temps and planned for it. Does your manual tell you to run it at half full in the winter? If so, follow the manual.

As noted above, I have never had an issue with DEF freezing and bursting the tank on either of my trucks that use DEF. I still own both. 1 is 7 years old and spent plenty of time outside in below freezing weather (down to -40F). Back to the OP - it's really not an issue.

Yeah the manual specifically states this and my dealer has had to replace a few tanks that burst.