Big 2500 HD to tow junk 100s of miles, then how do you get to trail head?

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I have several diesels from all three of the major domestic manufacturers.... I cannot in good faith reccomend one unless you absolutely need it. I can tell you a DEF system will run you about $8000 to replace... that was a cute little bill. I can tell you that emission sensoring stuff going off constantly is a pleasant little surprise every morning. Low idle lights and restrictions you need to abide by is really fun. etc... Turbos, injectors... etc... There's no end to fixing them. If you can find a dmax or cummins (pre def) it won't be as bad. However I've still done plenty of injectors from 150K on in those.... A maint bill under $1500 on a diesel is somewhat of a rarity now.

I've had problems with all three. Many have been covered by warranty but when that runs out your on your own and unless you're using it to make money I don't know how anyone can justify a diesel. Aside from the diesel specific problems (and there's been many) they've all came with their own separate assiitonal problems to. I love how my GM's get stuck in 4wd drive in the winter... Electronic 4wd is so fun...
Thanks!! Everyone is so divided on diesels. I got mixed feelings about diesel and have never had one. My Grandad who started sweeping floors at Ford 100 years ago and rose up to manage 12,000 people said back in the late 70's that diesel cars where awful and the whole thing was crap. It was the push being made for people to drive diesel cars he was against. I remember when diesel Mercedes were popular and how they smoked and rattled. I watched a video of a 2500 Gmc diesel on a 4x4 review and that deph is real low to the ground. I'd wreck that real fast, lol. I've never liked diesel trucks personally, so I'm real biased against them. I want to be open minded, though. It's a big grind headed east out of San Diego. There are lots of grades north on the I 15. It's also usually windy, and I've seen trailers parked on the side of the Freeway. The diesel is REALLY NICE, because it has a lot more low RPM torque. The gas engines really need high RPMs up the grades, and it's real annoying for me just to watch on a video. I really, really hate to be underpowered on grades, when traffic is involved. Cars cutting me off, passing and slowing down. It's real, real nice to have power. If I'm driving on the 92 or 93 past Vegas to Idaho and see a car an hour, I can go real slow up the passes and not really care. I don't really care too much about MPG, as long as I have a range of 400 plus miles per tank. I would just be driving the truck to pull a trailer. Probably drive it 10,000 mIles a year. It will be an evolution and it's tough to predict what my wife will be doing. I think she will fly out and join me at first.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks!! Everyone is so divided on diesels. I got mixed feelings about diesel and have never had one. My Grandad who started sweeping floors at Ford 100 years ago and rose up to manage 12,000 people said back in the late 70's that diesel cars where awful and the whole thing was crap. I remember when diesel Mercedes were popular and how they smoked and rattled. I watched a video of a 2500 Gmc diesel on a 4x4 review and that deph is real low to the ground. I'd wreck that real fast, lol. I've never liked diesel trucks personally, so I'm real biased against them. I want to be open minded, though. It's a big grind headed east out of San Diego. There are lots of grades north on the I 15. It's also usually windy, and I've seen trailers parked on the side of the Freeway. The diesel is REALLY NICE, because it has a lot more low RPM torque. The gas engines really need high RPMs up the grades, and it's real annoying for me to watch on a video. I really, really hate to be underpowered on grades, when traffic is involved. Cars cutting me off, passing and slowing down. It's real, real nice to have power. If I'm driving on the 92 or 93 past Vegas to Idaho and see a car an hour, I can go real slow up the passes and not really care. I don't really care too much about MPG, as long as I have a range of 400 plus miles per tank. I would just be driving the truck to pull a trailer. Probably drive it 10,000 mIles a year. It will be an evolution and it's tough to predict what my wife will be doing. I think she will fly out and join me at first.
So, you're wanting to buy a truck for the less than 1% of driving conditions you'll ever face? 400 mile range pulling a big trailer and hauling a UTV? Not asking for much are ya? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
diesels suck

daily driver, about 5 miles each way

attachment.php

Says the guy who didn't quote the full statement. You left out the part about using it to make money. All of those things you mentioned go hand in hand with making money.

This.... If you need one for ranching, livestock, etc... then by all means... That said if fixing and tuning engines are a hobby then a diesel might be a pleasant past time. I for one would throw everyone of mine away if they weren't an absolute neccessity. Mine pull equipment almost every day of their lives. I don't own any horses or pull cattle around but if I did I suppose I could make the argument for one. If I rode a horse recreationally on the weekend you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be using a 6.2 gasser from ford. Maybe a 6.0 (I've had outstanding luck with them) gasser from GM but the 6.2 gasser I have right now is a pretty impressive truck for a non-diesel.

BillinSD. If you do end up with a diesel, the absolute worst thing you can do for it is let it sit for days on end without in running. The vehicle I replaced a DEF system in was a 2011 dodge and it essentially "ate" itself away because it didn't run very often. Mine aren't tuned or aftermarketed up at all... just stock and generally fleet trucks with minimal options. This particular dodge was a 1 1/2 ton and when I needed it, I really needed it but when I didn't it was too costly to run so I let it sit and it cost me a little north of 7500. Other than that Dodge have been my best diesels, followed by GM followed by Ford..... I've done thousands of dollars in injectors on dmax's in various year ranges, fords have been a horrible nightmare for me with turbo, HPOPs and injectors. Dodge have been okay but still have had some issues. I try to be as unbiased as possible. I would drive something that looked like a big dog turd if it ran and pulled okay... I just know that after owning all three I wouldn't own any if I didn't have to.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
So, you're wanting to buy a truck for the less than 1% of driving conditions you'll ever face? 400 mile range pulling a big trailer and hauling a UTV? Not asking for much are ya? Lol

Thanks! I'm real ignorant about the subject. I have zero experience. I'm looking at eventually spending weeks on end from the Summer through the fall in the West, up and down the mountains and deserts. I want to drive a big enough truck to be safe and comfortable. Not driving constantly, but driving to a place and staying, then moving to another. The bigger the range the better. A thousand miles would be great lol. What I should have said instead of 400 mile range, as much range as I can get.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
This.... If you need one for ranching, livestock, etc... then by all means... That said if fixing and tuning engines are a hobby then a diesel might be a pleasant past time. I for one would throw everyone of mine away if they weren't an absolute neccessity. Mine pull equipment almost every day of their lives. I don't own any horses or pull cattle around but if I did I suppose I could make the argument for one. If I rode a horse recreationally on the weekend you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be using a 6.2 gasser from ford. Maybe a 6.0 (I've had outstanding luck with them) gasser from GM but the 6.2 gasser I have right now is a pretty impressive truck for a non-diesel.

BillinSD. If you do end up with a diesel, the absolute worst thing you can do for it is let it sit for days on end without in running. The vehicle I replaced a DEF system in was a 2011 dodge and it essentially "ate" itself away because it didn't run very often. Mine aren't tuned or aftermarketed up at all... just stock and generally fleet trucks with minimal options. This particular dodge was a 1 1/2 ton and when I needed it, I really needed it but when I didn't it was too costly to run so I let it sit and it cost me a little north of 7500. Other than that Dodge have been my best diesels, followed by GM followed by Ford..... I've done thousands of dollars in injectors on dmax's in various year ranges, fords have been a horrible nightmare for me with turbo, HPOPs and injectors. Dodge have been okay but still have had some issues. I try to be as unbiased as possible. I would drive something that looked like a big dog turd if it ran and pulled okay... I just know that after owning all three I wouldn't own any if I didn't have to.
Thanks I value your opinion. What you said about diesels makes me grimace. Hell NO would the truck be driven everyday. I hardly drive my Tacoma. I drive it once every 2 weeks and it's fine. I don't like doing that, so I'd bet it's more work with diesel. If I had to start it and let it get warm a couple times a week wouldn't kill me, either. Lots of my neighbor's that have big trucks have diesels, and all Contractors do. Not everyone does, though. Thanks, this is extremely educational and fun. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the odometer and that looks fantastic!!

Judging by the instrument cluster, I'd bet it's an older 6.6 dmax he's driving before DEF was a component. I will say since DEF I've had most of my issues (with the exception of the 6.0 diesel from ford which was a horrible failure on their part). If you don't mind driving used trucks and can find a dmax, 7.3 ford (only), or cummins you might be okay. It's tough finding them without a ton of miles or haven't worked their tails off but they're out there. Those were okay (expect to do the injectors at some point but otherwise they were all solid). It's since DEF has been a factor that I've had appx 80% of my problems related to diesel motors.

wapitibob

WKR
406,000 today.

minimal maintenance costs
150,000 out of ball joints and clutch
377,000 out of injectors and glow plugs

if you can find one with less than say 175K, a manual tranny, and a flat brimmer wasn't behind the wheel I'd buy it.

406,000 today.

if you can find one with less than say 175K, a manual tranny, and a flat brimmer wasn't behind the wheel I'd buy it.

Yes the 7.3's were/are excellent motors. I would have been alot of $$ ahead if I would have kept the ones I had and not "upgraded" They'd likely still be running. I had several from 1997-2002 and all had digital odometers... Coincidentally I had a few 2001-2003 GM's that still had the old school rollers like yours. If there's a weak point with the old 7.3 fords it was the transmission but a manual would clear that up....

BillinSD.... Understand I'm not trying to persuade you into or out of anything. I'm just one of many unfortunate souls that has a lot of first hand experience with repairing work vehicles. Only you know your needs/wants and if a modern diesel fits that than it's your money, spend it where you see fit. I just know there's a misnomer out there that diesels are more power with comparable gas mileage and run for 1/2 million miles... While in some cases that may be true it more often than not comes at a heavy cost in most cases.

EastMT

WKR
Judging by the instrument cluster, I'd bet it's an older 6.6 dmax he's driving before DEF was a component. I will say since DEF I've had most of my issues (with the exception of the 6.0 diesel from ford which was a horrible failure on their part). If you don't mind driving used trucks and can find a dmax, 7.3 ford (only), or cummins you might be okay. It's tough finding them without a ton of miles or haven't worked their tails off but they're out there. Those were okay (expect to do the injectors at some point but otherwise they were all solid). It's since DEF has been a factor that I've had appx 80% of my problems related to diesel motors.

Exactly right. I worked in the oil fields with new diesels. When my old 1992 7.3 IDI finally gave up the ghost 2 years ago, I bought a gasser. We had Chevy Ford Dodge new models, I’m done with diesels, not impressed with DEF issues, and most require a Laptop plugged in with company specific software subscription $$$$, so no way to DIY if you don’t have one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I'm at 208k on my 7.3L and replacing the original clutch next week. It developed a "marbles in a can" sound when starting out, in San Diego end of March. I was worried about making it all the way home because it sounds horrific, but it made it.

I have considered replacing the injectors and putting in a good tuner, but have never got around to it.........since it's money I don't "need" to spend.

Bill......you could always just get a good used diesel pusher and pull your Toyota with that, and you and your wife would be very happy in it. I passed up a steal 3 years ago for $50k after one of my parent's neighbor's wife passed away and he was unloading it. I regret it now, but I had no place to store such a behemoth. It was too gorgeous to let it sit outside all year. He had a custom enclosure at his house just for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks! I'm real ignorant about the subject. I have zero experience. I'm looking at eventually spending weeks on end from the Summer through the fall in the West, up and down the mountains and deserts. I want to drive a big enough truck to be safe and comfortable. Not driving constantly, but driving to a place and staying, then moving to another. The bigger the range the better. A thousand miles would be great lol. What I should have said instead of 400 mile range, as much range as I can get.
My boss, and his son, both have Duramax diesels. My boss has a 17, his son an 05. Neither one of them tow or pull, anything on a regular basis. He might pull his bumper pull travel trailer 200 miles a year, if that. For the life of me, I don't understand why they want the higher maintenance costs of a diesel just to say they have one. His son just likes to "roll coal". He's a certified moron. His goes into limp mode when he gets on it. Redneck lift on it, chipped, and already ragged out when he bought it. They would both be better off with gassers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
406,000 today.

My boss' son is a Utah native, flat brimmed, coal roller. I wouldn't buy any vehicle from him. He's blown up a half dozen work cars in less than two years. He's his dad's golden boy though lol.

Camp trailers are a hard thing to recommend. You need to go loot at a lot of them We are on our 2nd and I still don't have it right. I will say I was in the gas vs diesel debate. I went with a diesel and am glad I did. People talk about higher maintenance but often leave out the higher resale.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Camp trailers are a hard thing to recommend. You need to go loot at a lot of them We are on our 2nd and I still don't have it right. I will say I was in the gas vs diesel debate. I went with a diesel and am glad I did. People talk about higher maintenance but often leave out the higher resale.
It should be a higher resale, since you pay a premium to begin with.

Google diesel vs gas cost of ownership. The majority, by far, of what you will find is studies pointing to lower cost of ownership for diesels.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For the life of me, I don't understand why they want the higher maintenance costs of a diesel just to say they have one.

I see this a lot about the higher maintenance costs, but I don't see that. Yes, my 7.3L takes 15 quarts of oil every change and costs me right around $64 with filter. I could do it cheaper with different oil, but I prefer sticking with the Motorcraft oil. I'll change the oil twice a year right around 5k, so $128/year. A fuel filter every 15k at $20, and that's about it. Most everything else you'll end up having to do on a gas truck as well.

But there are other considerations for owning a truck like this even if you don't pull heavy a lot. I'm 6'6" with a family of 5 tall people. We fit very well in my 2001 crew cab with plenty of room to be comfortable. I have an 8 foot bed. For a truck with a full size bed and the size of crew cab it has, it gets pretty decent mileage compared to the same truck in the gas version.

Would I ever buy one of the new full size DEF version diesels.........I doubt it. But I would replace my current diesel engine in this truck and keep it another 20 years in a heart beat if needed.