Mercy kill?

I shot a goose that had fishing line wrapped all around it's feet and legs.

A pair came in with one hanging a club/like leg. My partner shot the other and I took the cripple.

Upon closer inspection, the bird had lost its other leg while the one hanging was dead and frozen. The bird was very emaciated and I was glad to have ended it's suffering.

bliner

FNG
A couple years ago a mulie doe ran out and smacked into the side of my truck one evening. I got out to check for damage to the truck in the deer. The deer was just laying in the road and there was no damage to my truck. I nudged the dears back and it jumped up and took off running and appeared to be fine. The Ditch at the edge of the road was pretty steep, and as the deer ran down the hill, I heard it fall. It had broken its neck and didn’t seem to be able to move, but was still alive, so I put her down. I’ve dealt with a few others that were hit by cars as well.

One time in college, a feral kitten was standing outside my door swaying. I think it had been bitten by a dog, it had a hole in the top of its head, and another under its jaw, and there were ants streaming in and out of its head, and it’s brain definitely had been affected. I ended up smashing it with a piece of firewood, and there were tons of maggots feeding inside the poor thing s head.

My sister runs a cat rescue. She’s brought me a few cats to put down that were removed from cat hoarders where they had been inbreeding, some were blind, some had missing legs, some were paralyzed, etc. she said there were other cats that were in the process of being eaten, as well as skeletons. Pretty sad for the cats, but also sad for the people that live in those conditions, huge piles of poop against walls, really everywhere, and terrible urine smell.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
We found a broadhead buried in a shoulder while butchering 1 once. It was surrounded by scar tissue, so figure it had to have been there for a couple years. Didn't seem to be bothering him, but I was shooting regardless. Really good buck for my area.

ib4sEsd.jpg
I've found a couple broadheads in deer too. One was my brother's from earlier in the year!

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
So you're out there "euthanizing" every animal that so much as sneezes? I guess we found Aram Von Benedikt's account!

:ROFLMAO:

JK - but I agree that unless an animal isn't mobile at all I'm not killing it. Let nature run its course. The fact that you have so many mercy kills under your belt is a bit... suspect surprising? I'm not sure on the legality of those scenarios and I'm guessing Game and Fish would tell me to just leave the animals alone.
By the time she left,

RIF. I didn't shoot that one.

And for the ones I have shot, yep, I tagged them. :)

Drove by one in a ditch not long ago and thought it was dead. Glanced back in my rearview mirror and saw it kick a few times. I couldn't let it suffer so I turned around and did what needed done.