Mercy kill?

mi650

WKR
Anyone else had to do a mercy kill? I'm up to 4 now. 2 does, a spike, and a button buck. :( 3 broken legs and 1 had her neck torn open.

I even remember the date of the 1st, as it happened to be the same day my son killed his 1st buck. He shot it in the morning and we almost didn't go out that afternoon. I would have kicked myself in the ass if we hadn't. Seeing the trail cam pics after, it was clear she had a broken leg. Of course, it was clear when she hobbled out in front of us, too.

So, who else?

feanor

WKR
Isn’t that a Steven Seagal movie?

No mercy kills for me thankfully. But I’m sure it will happen eventually.

2muchhp

WKR
A couple for me. One small buck with a broken shoulder and a doe with an arrow wound that looked horrific

Scoot

WKR
Plenty! All of mine have come in the couple/few weeks after our gun season in MN and ND. Most have been shot in the leg and have a leg dangling uselessly. It's possible some of them could have survived, but it would have been tough and I just felt sorry for them. They really looked like they were pretty miserable, so I do what I think is right.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
A couple for me. One small buck with a broken shoulder and a doe with an arrow wound that looked horrific
Thinking about it, maybe it's not such a bad thing. I hate to see them suffer, so it really is better to put them down.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
One morning years ago sometime around 4:30am I hit a deer going 75mph.

I got out of the truck to go check on the deer and see what the course of action should be... But, the deer was run over by a big-rig pulling 2 trailers. Needless to say there was no dispatching needed after that.

go_deep

WKR
I did kill an elk one time that was just cruising along the mountain like nothing was wrong with it. When I got up to it, it was missing the back right hoof right at the bottom knuckle. It didn't look like it was crippled, but it had to be hurting like heck walking on that bloody stub.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Plenty! All of mine have come in the couple/few weeks after our gun season in MN and ND. Most have been shot in the leg and have a leg dangling uselessly. It's possible some of them could have survived, but it would have been tough and I just felt sorry for them. They really looked like they were pretty miserable, so I do what I think is right.
We found a broadhead buried in a shoulder while butchering 1 once. It was surrounded by scar tissue, so figure it had to have been there for a couple years. Didn't seem to be bothering him, but I was shooting regardless. Really good buck for my area.

ib4sEsd.jpg

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
One morning years ago sometime around 4:30am I hit a deer going 75mph.

I got out of the truck to go check on the deer and see what the course of action should be... But, the deer was run over by a big-rig pulling 2 trailers. Needless to say there was no dispatching needed after that.
Years ago I worked nights. My supervisor lived near me, and left a few minutes before me one night. He called to give me a heads up about an exploded deer that he saw get hit by a semi. The freeway was covered in blood & guts.

I had a bit of a problem, he told me the wrong location! I wasn't expecting it for another mile, and damn near spun out when I went thru at about 75!

Had to do it on a stray cat that lived on my grandma's property, I think it was sick or broke something because it couldn't move

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Put one down that got mangled by a school bus.

I wouldnt put one down just because it had a broke leg.
IDK about where you live, but here they'll have a hard time making it thru winter. And that's not even considering the pain & suffering. On top of that, I generally see the same deer over & over. I couldn't live with myself watching 1 suffer weeks after I had a chance to end it.

I got this one with my muzzleloader the same day I 1st saw the pics. It was mid-December. She wasn't gonna make it.

MC3Qo8v.jpg

Fordguy

WKR
I watched one about ten years ago, limping, trying to keep up with the other deer. I thought it had been shot, so when it laid down, I snuck in to 10 yards or so and shot it. It was missing the lower 10 inches of one hind leg, long since healed over. The other hind leg was crooked and had been broken but had also healed. I'm amazed that it lived after what was apparently a car accident that broke both of its hind legs. It might have lived several more years if the snow didn't get too deep and the coyotes didn't find it.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Had to do it on a stray cat that lived on my grandma's property, I think it was sick or broke something because it couldn't move
Helped a friend of mine put down a steer with a broken back over the summer, couldn't figure out what had happened. About a month ago, we were BSing outside his barn. He had 2 old/large cows that were humping each other and another steer!! :ROFLMAO: Mystery of the broken back solved!

Yep been mostly ones that Ive hit. I did kill one on ranch for an outfit that was on an old buck that was in bad shape from a leg injury. When we went to clean him, there was gangrene in the back leg and up into the backstraps. We ended up passing on putting him in the cooler.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
1 afternoon, my son and I were in my ladder stand, and started hearing what sounded like sneezing 6-7 times per minute. It was quite a way off, but getting closer. As it got closer, it slowed down. Eventually, we had a doe in front of us, basically sneezing.

This was early October and fairly warm, low-mid 70s. My best guess is someone had some apples out for bait, apples attracted hornets, and she got stung in the nose.

By the time she left, the sneezing was down to once every couple minutes.

Afhunter1

WKR
We found a broadhead buried in a shoulder while butchering 1 once. It was surrounded by scar tissue, so figure it had to have been there for a couple years. Didn't seem to be bothering him, but I was shooting regardless. Really good buck for my area.

ib4sEsd.jpg
I found my own broadhead in a buck that I hit 4 years before. Ha ha. Stuck in his shoulder blade. It was grown in to the bone.