Kids

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, with today's world, if being a parent doesn't scare the sh!t outta you then maybe it isn't for you. Everyone has their opinions and that one is mine.

From a very early age, I wanted to be just like my dad, but with more kids. My wife and I stopped 1 shy of my goal thanks to COVID and this screwed up world we live in. It's expensive, hard, scary and yet the most fulfilling and best experience ever. I wanted it nearly my whole life and I still wasn't prepared, but it's so worth it. I would do anything for any of them.

There’s really nothing you can do to prepare for it. But you figure it out. I’m the oldest of 5 and the last to have kids so I’d been around babies for years but it’s nowhere near the same. There’s also nothing better. We had our son when I was 40 so l’m a little late too but man it’s the best ever. I wouldn't change anything. We’d love to have another one but I don’t think it’s in the cards anymore.

Fowl Play

WKR
Maybe I’ll give a dissenting opinion. Kids are HARD! And not everyone needs to have children. Spend some time with kids and make sure you really want one before you go down that path. You can still have a very fulfilling life without children of your own.

Yes, there are beautiful moments, but also very challenging ones. And definitely more challenging ones than beautiful ones at first. If your wife wants kids and will be a good mother, as long as you can support her, you will be fine. But… if you’re anything like me, you will need that loving mother to get you through the first couple years. I don’t prefer babies, but now that my kids are old enough for me to teach them the things that I love, I thoroughly enjoy it.

Some guys I know loved being a father from the get go. It had to grow on me. Some guys I know say the kids are the most important thing in their life. I thoroughly love my kids, but love my wife more. My brother and sister may not have children and have said they are content with being a good aunt and uncle to my kids.

I have a 16-month old daughter and a boy scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks, so I'm biased, but have you ever heard a person with kids say, "Man, I wish I never had children?" I doubt you have, and the reason why is simple: reproducing is the purpose of life.

Sure, you'll be poor, tired, stressed, hunt far less, etc., but like others have said, they immediately become your universe. I wouldn't trade all the hunts in the world for the feeling I get from one smile from my little girl. She is my life, and I'm an infinitely better person because of it.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
Everyone is supposed to have children.

No one regrets having kids.

Old people without kids biggest regret is always not having had children.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
My wife and I have 4. A 17yr son, 14yr son, 9yr daughter and almost 10month daughter. Couldn't image it without them. How can you not want one of these.

Attachments

• Resized_20230921_162037.jpeg
    Resized_20230921_162037.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 26

jmez

WKR
I had kids later and no regrets. I have 4 boys. It really isn't for everyone. It is an 18 year commitment of you taking a backseat.

If you aren't willing to do that then don't have them. It isn't fair to the kids. Two things they absolutely require, your time and attention.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Bull...logna! There are many good resources out there on raising kids. Owners manuals if you will. You may not always agree on the content and psychology, but if you set any biased and preconceived notions aside, there's some good info on raising kids out there. There are also other experienced parents that can help guide along the way. Make friends and use their experience

Plus, unless you're jackpine savages raised by wolves, you both have parents. You both know what worked well with you growing up and you also know what didn't. Your kids will be more like you than not. As a starting point, use what worked and avoid what didn't.

Where to start? You both definitely need to discuss thuroughly and be in agreement/on the same page.

jmez

WKR
Their life is priority #1 for 18 years. If you have raised them right they will go out and make it on their own. Yes it is a lifelong commitment. Their life is no longer your number one commitment when they are leading their own.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
3 kids. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Those 3 little tikes are the very best part of my life.

Don’t go into it thinking it’s easy though. It isn’t. Everything changes. But it’s worth it. You just need to be willing to put theirs and your wifes needs in front of your own.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I struggled back and forth whether or not we wanted kids. In our heart of hearts I knew we did, but it's scary and hard! A kid free life has a lot of flexibility and room for adventure.
I knew I was ready when I started to feel an empty feeling in my soul. No matter what I tried to fill it with, "things, travel, etc", I was feeling like something was missing.
We now have a 7 month old and I am so excited to see where his life takes him and live through kid eyes again. Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.

Yes, it's harder to do all the things you used to do. But you can still do 90% with a few concessions and adjustments.

zacattack

WKR
I sit here typing this out starting hour 2 of trying to put my youngest to sleep. I was scared shitless before our first was born, I couldn’t believe the doctors and nurses at the hospital were going to let us leave with a new person to care for. having kids is the hardest thing you’ll ever do in life, it’s also pretty amazing. I was 37 when our oldest was born. He’s 3.5 now and our youngest is 2.5, yes they are Irish twins. You’ll never get another night of sleep, you’ll probably won’t get hot meals, you’ll smell of poop and throw up, there’s an endless supply of toys to pick up. You’ll never be so happy, scared, enraged, frustrated, excited, or curious as when you have kids.

My two love to camp, hike, they are blue gill catching machines, my oldest has been asking to go hunting with me, monster trucks are the greatest things on earth to them. Kids will change your life forever.

It’s also not really complicated, just be there for them, do what they want to do, spend as much time as possible with them. They are only kids once. I wish we had kids earlier in life so we could have one or two more.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I was 41 when my daughter was born and 51 when my son was born. My wife is younger than me but not a lot younger, sadly. :D

It's a question of being ready for that level of responsibility and all the changes it'll mean to your life.

Most of those changes are good, but not all. Like the past few days my son has given us made me think otherwise, but I would not change a thing for MBS et al type wealth.

Eddie

gbflyer

WKR
Both of mine were surprises. 12 years apart. Both are a pain in the ass just like I was. Love them immensely. Our second one has some stuff going on. I can tell you that without the partner I have in my wife, he’d be on the shitbird express. Point is you need a good partner in life, both of you pulling in the same direction as one. Especially with kids. Without that kind of relationship, I recommend steady birth control.

MTtrout

WKR
@TreeDog not sure what your age is but I had kids late in my 30s and life does change in lots of some ways. You learn to grow with the changes of having kids. My wife and I experienced and enjoyed every opportunity of life pre kids and kidded ourselves that we would never have kids. Now we have two boys. Ultimately it’s up to you and your other. We have many friends that will never have kids and are as happy as we our.