Backcountry Bivy Elk Hunting Gear List....

OP
G
You have a good list, I have a few recommendations based off of my experience.
Invest in a Steripen and ditch the rest of your filtration equipment. I Bring the pen a 14 oz Nalgene and an empty MSR 2 liter dromedary. I use the Nalgene to transfer sterilized water into the bladder.
I carry the pen and Nalgene when away from camp. I have drank water that most people would gag if they smelled it and never gotten sick. I carry aquamarina for backup in case the pen fails.
At altitude I need to force myself to eat. I got back last night from a 4 day bivy hunt at 11k feet. I ate 1 MH for dinner, tuna pouch for lunch, pro bar for breakfast and miniature paydays for snacks. I lost 5 lbs, but that is usually the case with high altitude hunts.
They only fill windchecker bottles part way, I always fill 1 bottle with 2.
Bring handwarmers 1 set a night for your feet. I throw 1 in each sock and never have cold feet. Plus it heats up the entire bag.
I bring some type of sleeping aid.
Dont forget a sharpie to sign your tag.
Lithium batteries are worth the extra money.
Add 3m steristrips to your firstaid kit. They will hold a deep gas closed and they weigh nothing.
Ditch the hunting knife you only need the Havelon.
Get the biodegradable wipes. Walmart sales them in the Coleman brand.
I would not reccomend more than 4 nights for a bivy hunt. Make a trip back to the truck to restock for extra nights.
Check out the podcast that Aaron Snyder did on the Gritty Bowmen show, he talked about his gear list. It is spot on. You can find it on Youtube.

Those are excellent tips thank you very much. I actually listen to almost all of the Gritty Bowmen podcasts and knew that Aron uses a steripen too. How long does the battery last on those things? Because that would cut out weight and hassle with my current filtration system. Also that is a good idea about combining my two wind checkers into one bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pow

FNG
I agree on ditching extra filtration, but I'm not a big steripen fan (I have one). The biggest drawback is it needs to be charged to me and that is an easy point of failure if you forget to plug it in first. It doesn't work well in cloudy water, it works better in a nalgene and I hate carrying a nalgene because the are bulky. I definitely don't want a half full nalgene in my pack sloshing water on every step. I carry a 16oz Sawyer and a two iodine tablets as backup.

Most *moving* water in elk country is probably completely fine without filtration and I've often heard that you are a lot more likely to get sick sharing trail mix than from natural water.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most *moving* water in elk country is probably completely fine without filtration.

Whoa there! Not in Colorado it's not. If you find a spring source you may be OK. Other than that........no way I'd chance it. I've had Giardia. It's not a "got it and then treat it and it's over" kind of thing. I think it took the better part of 7 years to overcome.

OP
G
So would you guys recommend a gravity system or a steripen for water filtration? The only thing that worries me about the steripen is that its battery operated. But I do like to carry a nalgene so it makes sense to use the steripen and ditch the sawyer/platypus gravity system. What do y'all think....

Filters are also a failure point; if it freezes, there's a good chance it's done for. I am a huge fan of the MSR aquatabs, or something similar. Zero weight and bulk. I think the steripen is great for quick use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

An empty bladder with a sawyer mini weighs next to nothing. Personally, I'd carry the steripen, tablets, and the sawyer just in case (minimal weight penalty and lots of options). I can live without food if I run out of fuel or a way to start fires, but water is a necessity.

ixia

FNG
How long does the battery last on those things? Because that would cut out weight and hassle with my current filtration system.

The pen has a battery bar with four or five bars to show the charge. It took me a weekend of camping to lose one bar, which was about 15 liters of water. I got the USB steripen so that I could use a solar panel to charge it, then saw how long it lasted and never pack the panel. I take aquamira drops as a backup or to treat a full drome bag at once.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
You will have to take a picture of that pack loaded up. I am looking at the same 3,500 pack for the same style of hunting. 3-5 miles to set up camp and then hunt from their, but coming back to camp every night for about 6-7 days. I am going back and forth between whether I want to go with the 3,500 or the 5,500. Let me know how the 3,500 works for you?

wyodog

FNG
You will have to take a picture of that pack loaded up. I am looking at the same 3,500 pack for the same style of hunting. 3-5 miles to set up camp and then hunt from their, but coming back to camp every night for about 6-7 days. I am going back and forth between whether I want to go with the 3,500 or the 5,500. Let me know how the 3,500 works for you?

For 7 days I would for sure use the 5500. Besides if your successful you need room to haul out your gear and some meat. I could backpack for a week with a 3500 but no way could I hunt a week with one.

OP
G

I would get the 5500. They compress to basically the same size and it's only a little bit more money. I will probably end up selling my 3500 to my brother and getting the 5500, especially if all my gear doesn't fit in the one I have now.

bud

FNG
you need a 5500. the more times you go the less you will take. do not save money on sleeping bag or pad. get sleeping bag rated colder than you need.

OP
G
Idk guys.... I was able to catch the new Gritty Bowmen podcast today before it was deleted and Aron was talking about a new pack that's in the works from Kifaru. It sounds SWEET. Might be getting a new pack before next season

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Idk guys.... I was able to catch the new Gritty Bowmen podcast today before it was deleted and Aron was talking about a new pack that's in the works from Kifaru. It sounds SWEET. Might be getting a new pack before next season

I saw it on You tube and then listened to the podcast. Wanted to watch the video after I listened to it, then it was gone. Did they pull it cause of the new Kifaru pack???

OP
G
I saw it on You tube and then listened to the podcast. Wanted to watch the video after I listened to it, then it was gone. Did they pull it cause of the new Kifaru pack???
Dude, same. I listened to the iTunes version on my way home from work and when I got home I tried to pull up the YouTube video and it was no longer available. I'm guessing they had to pull it because they shared a little too much of the goods! LOL. Seriously though it sounded like a sweet pack.

OP
G
Does anybody have experience with "Rugged Maps"? I am thinking about ditching the GPS altogether and navigating with my compass and a topo map.

mntnguide

WKR
I would get the 5500. They compress to basically the same size and it's only a little bit more money. I will probably end up selling my 3500 to my brother and getting the 5500, especially if all my gear doesn't fit in the one I have now.

Without a doubt go with the 5500 exo. .my buddies all wish they had mine instead of their 3500...mine goes down to the same exact size for day pack use, but I can live over a week out of it. 100% worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Does anybody have experience with "Rugged Maps"? I am thinking about ditching the GPS altogether and navigating with my compass and a topo map.

Why not just keep the GPS as a backup? More options can't hurt and the weight of a GPS will be more than worth it if you really need to get out quick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
G
Why not just keep the GPS as a backup? More options can't hurt and the weight of a GPS will be more than worth it if you really need to get out quick.

Well I haven't bought a GPS or a Delorme yet but if I can help it I would rather not have to buy both just because that's going to cost some money. How are the GPS capabilities on the inreach?

jspradley

WKR
Well I haven't bought a GPS or a Delorme yet but if I can help it I would rather not have to buy both just because that's going to cost some money. How are the GPS capabilities on the inreach?

I can't comment on the inreach... I run my smartphone with OnX. Works pretty dang well...