Kill kit weights and ideas. Lets see yours? Ideas?

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I basically carry the same equipment that most all of you have listed. I don't keep it in a separate bag. It's stashed in different pockets throughout my pack. I'd guess it's all less than 2lbs or so.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
After all these years I never knew a knife, a couple game bags and some rope was called a 'kill kit'. WTH

Whats the other stuff in your pack called?
'Alive Kit'?
Man kill a guy for trying to keep his stuff organized. 🤷‍♂️ Please will the Rokslide police direct me to the correct verbiage.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Havent been on Rokslide too long have you?
Its been called that for quite awhile on here.
After all these years I never knew a knife, a couple game bags and some rope was called a 'kill kit'. WTH

Whats the other stuff in your pack called?
'Alive Kit'?

I keep my kill kit organized and separate from everything else, probably the only thing in my bag that is organized. I like walking up to a downed animal, grabbing the pull out and knowing everything I need is right there. I don’t have to dig around in my pack or even touch it again until I’m loading up.
The clock is usually ticking and just makes everything go quicker/smoother.

Jethro

WKR
Same basic stuff for me. No saw. I also have a cut proof glove in mine. Out west I carry my tag, ID, and hunter Ed card in the kit. Just under 2lbs.

Dennis

WKR
My kit is for elk and all big game I hunt broken down into two Kuiu bags. Kit weighs 1.7 lbs with two one gallon zip lock bags for grouse, fish etc. (not included in photo).

5 - Northern Alaskan Game bags
5 - 6' lengths of para cord
2- Havalon knives, one with gut hook and one with 60 blade,
4 - Extra 60 blades, 2 extra 22 blades for capping, extra gut hook blades
1 - Caribou hunters tarp with stakes
1 - set shoulder length field dressing gloves with 1 extra set latex gloves
1 - small roll of pink surveyors tape with needle and thread to sew mouth shut for photos
2 - Zip ties and 1 pen
2 - Kuiu medium bags , gray is game bags orange is everything else

To clarify a little on the kill kit. In my pack there are additional items that maybe be used to process animals like, wet wipes, water, folding saw, headlamp, first aid kit, 30' para-cord and tourniquet.

In truck are additional kits with extra blades, game bags, ropes, field dressing gloves and zip ties all in separate gallon zip lock bags for those lucky seasons.

IMG_4057.jpg
IMG_4058.jpg

Last edited:
I learned a cool trick with using both your trekking poles and running the leg through the wrist strap to hold the leg up when doing it by yourself. Worked great for me so far. The pulley idea would work awesome as well!
Can you sketch that out for me? I'm interested but can't picture it

Jaquomo

WKR
A fillet glove has saved me from many cuts over the years. Otherwise, basics like everybody else. I carry a custom Deppersmidt knife because it is an awesome tool, made by a friend and bowhunting legends which probably weighs too much but is worth it all around. I also carry a Havalon with some blades, and I'm not sure why except they don't weigh much.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Can you sketch that out for me? I'm interested but can't picture it
Run the leg through the wrist strap just above the hoof on both trekking poles. Stand them up fully extended in a bipod/shooting stick format. If you watch Gritty/Lampers moose hunt they talk about it in one of the videos as well.

slimC

FNG
My kit is for elk and all big game I hunt broken down into two Kuiu bags. Kit weighs 1.7 lbs with two one gallon zip lock bags for grouse, fish etc. (not included in photo).

5 - Northern Alaskan Game bags
5 - 6' lengths of para cord
2- Havalon knives, one with gut hook and one with 60 blade,
4 - Extra 60 blades, 2 extra 22 blades for capping, extra gut hook blades
1 - Caribou hunters tarp with stakes
1 - set shoulder length field dressing gloves with 1 extra set latex gloves
1 - small roll of pink surveyors tape with needle and thread to sew mouth shut for photos
2 - Zip ties and 1 pen
2 - Kuiu bags , gray is game bags orange is everything else

In truck are additional kits with extra blades, game bags, ropes, field dressing gloves and zip ties all in separate gallon zip lock bags for those lucky seasons.

View attachment 549245
View attachment 549244
what size kuiu bags are those?

Run the leg through the wrist strap just above the hoof on both trekking poles. Stand them up fully extended in a bipod/shooting stick format. If you watch Gritty/Lampers moose hunt they talk about it in one of the videos as well.
Awesome. Thanks

Marble

WKR
My kill kit is pretty simple. 1 or 2 pairs of rubber gloves, some paracord, zip ties, havalon and iron will knife, 4 synthetic game quarter bags, one meat bag. The kit fits in a small kifaru pouch.

Entire thing I would guess at a pound but I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I have a small folding knife I could finish the job with if my havalon broke. I don’t bring a sharpener anymore- I thought that was one benefit of replaceable blade knives. Other than that, just some game bags and a garbage bag for the pack. If it is warm I might throw in some heavy duty contractor bags for submerging meat in a creek.

CMF

WKR
So that's what those are for, I guess I shouldn't have cut mine off, lol. That's a great idea.

My kit comes in around 15-16oz. usually in a gallon ziploc
Outdoor Edge 3.5
3 blades, 1 gut hook blade
5 - Deboned game bags off ebay, some weigh an ounce, some others 1.5oz.
2 or 3 nitrile gloves
small diameter paracord(extra paracord in surv/misc. kit if needed)
Tag + zip tie or two
or
If E-tag - sharpie + few feet of survey ribbon