Just joined a crossfitt gym to prepare for Sept.

h2so4

WKR
I second @FlyGuy. I go 3x a week and sprinkle in running, biking, etc as feasible. I’ve just starting going 4x a week occasionally when the wod or lifting is something I’d like. I’ll usually go lighter weight those days, too. The guys in the gym that are in the best shape don’t have the heaviest PRs.

And no worries missing out on murph. Sounds like you had a rough few days!
I was disappointed in my full
Murph time (Cindy style), so I did half murph today to practice time management (and get a good workout). I’ll continue to do half+ A few times a month and see if I can whittle 3-6 min off my full murph time. It does not need to be a special occasion to do it!

*zap*

WKR
So do you follow keto?
No keto for me.....protein, good fats and good carbs. 95% of my diet is good whole food that is not processed. Exceptions are: a little of each...alfredo pasta sauce, cran sauce, low carb tortillas, olive oil mayo and occasional cliff energy bar for strength workouts .....no bread, alcohol or refined sugars at all. Fasted aerobic capacity 5x a week and usually eat all my food in an 8 hour window. First meal of every day is a cup of oatmeal with about 2/3 cup of ground almonds and 4 ground brazil nuts with sea salt.

Last edited:

psheahan

FNG
For what its worth, I am approaching 60 and the last couple of years have been hunbling trying to keep up with a younger crew hunting blacktails in SE Ak. I started, after the last season, using four stations of cardio at the gym and built up to an hour daily- treadmill, stairmaster, bike and eliptical, increasing resistance based on pulse and progress. The stairmaster allows me to skip a step which helps a bit for the steeper inclines. It made a diffirence last year, but I still felt overmatched.

tntrker

WKR
Sat I wound up doing the "smurf" 800m, 10 rounds of 5 pullups, 15 pushups, 20 air squats, 800m...then went home and continued building my deck with 6x6's and 12' 2x10s. I was hurting Sunday o_O

Teaman1

WKR
Got my ass kicked on a pack out last year.
I’ve started MtnTough’s 30-30 program on two different years but never finished it.
Been messing around with some of their workouts the past 3 weeks and start their preseason program Monday.
Hopefully last years packout will be enough motivation to finish the program.

Congrats on getting to the gym! If you stay healthy, you’ll be much better off this fall compared to not working out at all

bozeman

WKR
I too, participate in CrossFit multiple times/week. Be careful and do NOT hurt yourself...I am too competitive and getting too old. I cant keep up with the new pilots at the Air Base just down the road, but I try, to my own detriment. Around July, I cut back to 2x/week and focus on weighted hikes and distance running.....then after my hunt, get back to 4x/week on CrossFit. Best of luck and stay safe!

Got my ass kicked on a pack out last year.
I’ve started MtnTough’s 30-30 program on two different years but never finished it.
Been messing around with some of their workouts the past 3 weeks and start their preseason program Monday.
Hopefully last years packout will be enough motivation to finish the program.

Congrats on getting to the gym! If you stay healthy, you’ll be much better off this fall compared to not working out at all
I’ve also been utilizing MTNTOUGH for the last few years and have seen benefits from it. I also started their Pre-season program today. That workout always kicks my butt but I like it! I was looking at my times that I’ve recorded over the years and I’ve dropped close to 20 minutes in the 22’s while upping weight for the rows. Seems like every year though something happens where I get off track or too busy and haven’t finished all 16 weeks, but I’m aiming to change that this year. Good luck!

MattB

WKR
A buddy who has been a full time personal trainer for 10+ years is of the opinion that CrossFit is a great program for really fit people and a great way for the other 95% to get injured. Proceed with moderation and listen to your body.

bozeman

WKR
Opinions vary, to each his own. Find what works for you and don’t worry what everyone else is doing.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I am 3 weeks in to this Journey. Its been kicking my ass. Love that I have a work out ready to go when I come in at 5am. Building for Sept. Here we go.

FlyGuy

WKR
I am 3 weeks in to this Journey. Its been kicking my ass. Love that I have a work out ready to go when I come in at 5am. Building for Sept. Here we go.

Yep. That’s a huge part of it for me too. And it’s typically a well thought out workout, that also fits into a week of programming that doesn’t overburden a muscle group; and it has infinite variability. Other than Benchmark WODS, we’ve never done the same workout twice in 5 years. I love that variability, it never gets boring or tired.

On our own, it’s easy to fall into a routine (rut) of lifts or movement patterns. During covid when I started lifting at home I found that I was spending way too much time trying to program my own workouts. It’s challenging to come up with your own programming everyday, so I agree with your statement. It is awesome not to have to think about it and just show up with a good plan already made for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skeptic

FNG
Wondering if you stuck with it? I have been doing some level of CrossFit or similar program for ten years now. It changed the way I look at fitness and made a huge impact on my abilities to do things in the mountains and other endeavours. It isn't for everyone, and like any fitness program, has it's limitations and weaknesses.

Scaling is not a bad word. I started out scaled, made my way into RX for some things after about 3 years, and now have circled back to scaling. Interestingly, I scaled back some of my CrossFit efforts and was trying out some of the longer endurance workouts that keep your heart rate lower than what it would be for a Wod, but slighly higher than a light jog or fast walk. I was just looking for something new. After 10 years of really rigorous workouts, I managed to get my first two "old guy" or "sports" injuries ever. I tweaked my rotator cuff golfing of all things, and then ended up with a hernia that got pretty uncomfortable this summer. Actually had surgery on it a few weeks ago.

My recovery is going to be in the form of walking and hiking the next few weeks, I am pretty nervous about any type of weights or other strenuous stuff for a while. I would say whatever the program, just do something that you think you can do consistently. Whether it's CrossFit, Mtn Tough style workouts, walking, hiking, rucking, I think consistency and longevity are key.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Update. Man, it was best decision I made. My legs were awesome in the mountains this year. First hike was 6 miles in with a 50-60lb pack. No soreness. Feet were a little achy with the weight. I did do several rucks to break in boots prior but I'm guessing my feet are not used the weight on them for long periods of time. So I will be doing more rucks before next season. I am still in cross fit. I took two weeks off when I got back. I started back this week. Scaling when needed. The cycles that CrossFit design the WODS are genius. I don't think many realize how well rounded the program is. Endurance ,Strength, Speed, Stamina, etc, it touches it all. Still grinding. RX on some things and scaling on others. My fitness was not a problem this year in the mountains. I encourage anyone out there that's wanting to be ready for their fall high-country hunt, CrossFit will help you.

Update. Man, it was best decision I made. My legs were awesome in the mountains this year. First hike was 6 miles in with a 50-60lb pack. No soreness. Feet were a little achy with the weight. I did do several rucks to break in boots prior but I'm guessing my feet are not used the weight on them for long periods of time. So I will be doing more rucks before next season. I am still in cross fit. I took two weeks off when I got back. I started back this week. Scaling when needed. The cycles that CrossFit design the WODS are genius. I don't think many realize how well rounded the program is. Endurance ,Strength, Speed, Stamina, etc, it touches it all. Still grinding. RX on some things and scaling on others. My fitness was not a problem this year in the mountains. I encourage anyone out there that's wanting to be ready for their fall high-country hunt, CrossFit will help you.
Does your gym post the workouts to social media or a website?