A Fat flatlander needs to help and guidance

Luked

WKR
I would like to get some opinons from you all.
I am more out of shape than I prefer to be and i personally hate going to the gym as I just honesyly dont like being around people much.
So I am wanting to do as much at home as possible. I have to get in my mind that I HAVE to do this.
Right now I am 5'10" and about 230. I would like to get to around 200lbs.
I am trying to build myself a work out routine and with not having a huge amount of knoledge about it I would like some help from you all.
I am trying to eat better and stay away as much as I can from Grains and also Sugar.
Right now at home for equiptment I dont have much, I have some Kettlebells, and a exersise bike.
So here is my plan right now as far as work outs go to start out with, in no particular order.
Figure i would start out with 10 reps of each and go from there.

Push Ups
Sit Ups
Lunges with the kettle bells
Kettle Bell Swings
Goblet Squats
Kettle bell Halos
Kettlebell Overhead presses
Kettlebell bent over rows
Kettle Bell Curls
Box Step Ups
Exercise bike

Can anyone suggest more work outs that are easy to do with the Kettle bells or anything else that I could work in.
I am planning to do these first thing in the mornings before work then a quick cold shower afterwards for some recovery.

Laramie

WKR
Start with food. Don't TRY to eat better- just do it. Nothing out of a package or processed. Eat meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, fruit, etc... No bread or pasta, at all. Drink lots of water. No Alcohol- not even a little. Coffee and diet soda here in there is ok. Weigh yourself daily for 7 days and watch the results without even exercising. You should lose 3-5 pounds that first week. After that it will slow down but will continue slowly. Add in a cheat day once every 7-10 days.

After you lose 15 pounds, add in the exercise. I say that because your body won't feel like exercising during the first stretch. After losing 15, you will feel like a different person and exercise will feel good.

I went from 280 to 210 in 8 months a few years back using this without any crazy workouts or supplements. I did find that if I added alcohol on a cheat day, my weight loss would stop for 3-4 days completely. It kills your metabolism on top of adding a crap load of worthless calories.

Hope this helps you.

Exercise and cleaner diet is great for your health, but if the goal is just to lose weight it's not about what you eat it's how much of it you eat. You could take all the same things you're eating now and just eat 3/4 of the amount and you're gonna drop weight. Calories in VS calories out. I can't help much with the kettlebells but you could probably find a way to work in some Good Mornings with them for the glutes, but the walking lunges and goblet squats probably get enough of it anyway. Walking lunges are great if you're intending to workout for hunting purposes. If you have a 2 story house you can always put a kettlebell in your backpack and go up and down the stairs, maybe alternate between double steps and single steps. It's boring but it works.

Spoonbill

WKR

Here is a good video on kettlebell workouts. Also try to add in exercise in your daily routine, things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, going for a morning or evening walk etc. You could also try riding your stationary bike for 30 minutes at night. Good luck with your weight loss, it looks like you have a solid plan so far.

Are you hunting out west this fall? If yes you are running short on time to get to where you want to be comfortably. I'm really not trying to be a jerk. Just the realities of getting into mountain shape in two or three months takes some dedication. All you mentioned looks good. Building muscle in your legs/core/back will be great. You can get your cardio from your bike or from walking with your pack. Start easy on the weight in your pack and build. Need to get your heartrate up to build up your gastank. Your diet is critical. Eat good carbs, don't cut them out completely. You need them for the intense workouts. Good luck my man you can do this.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I am not hunting out west this year. Its just not in the cards as much as I wish it was.
My next trip west will be in 2024.
I do really appriciate all of the help and ideas. I need all I can get. When I went west last year I thought I was in pretty decent shape....I was wrong, and do not want that to happen again.

WoodBow

WKR
Just walk man. Like a lot. Your weight will play into your favor. Takes more calories to move more mass. If walking is too easy or you don't feel you are burning enough calories in the time you have available, make it harder buy adding incline or going faster. If you don't have hills, go do bleachers.

It is not nearly as complicated as people want to make it. I am blessed to have never had weight issues. I had to work hard to add weight when I was younger. I'm typically 185 now. I got really into running last summer and I was bleeding weight off because I was not lifting, so my body was eating all that muscle. I was running about 50 minutes a day, 4 or 5 times a week.

Obviously calories consumed are more important than calories burned.

shwacker

FNG
Yes, if your goal is mountain hunting, walk literally as many minutes a day as you can, while still being able to do the same thing the next day. You should be tired from duration not intensity. The exhaustion will build up over weeks and months. You will need to have lower volume times to recover. Strength training maybe once a week if you are older and twice a week if you are younger, unless your goal is to look good and you don’t care about being injured. Check out uphill athlete for some more and some good basic strength routines.

dtrkyman

WKR
5'10" 230 focus on diet, fitness will become much easier once you dump weight!

You will not out train poor nutrition!

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
100% agree with you. My diet isnt good right now and changing that.
I would also like to gain some muscle as well along with the endurance.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Don't try anything real aggressive right at the start. Start out with a mile or 2 walk every day or every other day and gradually work up your routine.

Eleven

FNG
You can’t outrun your fork.

That being said, if you add in some basics exercise and resistance traiNing to the already suggested walking routines (morning and evening) and the reduction in fork reps (eat less) you will do well. I’d focus on exercsises that hit multiple big muscle groups at once (squats, cleans, deadlifts, etc). If you are relegated to the stuff you have at home, no big deal, just be consistent.

Yoder

WKR
I read that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise. I believe it. You can still eat garbage and lose weight if you work out a lot but you will only get so far. I managed to drop about 25lbs without much change to my diet but there is no way I'm losing more without eating properly. I lost weight by doing a combination of weight training and cardio at least 5 days a week. You have enough equipment to do everything you need. I would add hiking with a weight vest or drop some kettle bells in a pack and find any kind of hills you have around. Hiking with weight is way easier on your knees than running and is a tough workout. If you eat right and do something every day, you will easily lose 30lbs.

This was already mentioned but I have to say it again: Listen to David Goggins book You can't hurt me. It really changed the way I think about exercise. The audio book is just awesome, but be careful. If you do everything he says, you might die.

I read that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise. I believe it. You can still eat garbage and lose weight if you work out a lot but you will only get so far. I managed to drop about 25lbs without much change to my diet but there is no way I'm losing more without eating properly. I lost weight by doing a combination of weight training and cardio at least 5 days a week. You have enough equipment to do everything you need. I would add hiking with a weight vest or drop some kettle bells in a pack and find any kind of hills you have around. Hiking with weight is way easier on your knees than running and is a tough workout. If you eat right and do something every day, you will easily lose 30lbs.

This was already mentioned but I have to say it again: Listen to David Goggins book You can't hurt me. It really changed the way I think about exercise. The audio book is just awesome, but be careful. If you do everything he says, you might die.

yeah if you try to mimic Goggins's workouts you might die.

That's a good call on the audiobook. That is much better than reading it because the audiobook format is the book plus sort of a podcast interview type thing with him adding on to what is in the book.

He makes it very clear between the two books... Don't do what he does, like running a 100 without training because that's stupid as hell. And you also don't need to beat the hell out of yourself like he does. But his mentality and the concepts he uses to get shit done are very helpful and is what he's trying to get across.

Also, ya have to listen to both books. They're from different parts of his life and compliment each other

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Thanks for the tip on the Goggins books. Ill have to get the audio file and listen
I have a shot trip to FL coming up to see an old friend and ill be driving down. Would be a good way to pass the time on the 12 hour drive.

One thing I'd add that seems almost too simple to be true is to do SOMETHING every day. Alot of folks get hung up on overthinking diet and specific exercises when In reality those things will fall into place if you're doing some form of exercise every day. Vary intensity and push yourself. Rest days are a damn joke. After a hard leg day your legs will recover in half the amount of time if you get some blood flow to them with a fast walk or bike. I intentionally work sore muscle groups with very light weight/high reps after heavy lifting days to stretch, loosen and heal.

One more thing I'll add. Everybody is different. By that I mean, if lifting makes you love to workout, do more of that than running but still incorporate cardio every day to some level. If cardio is your thing, great! But throw in some weights every time you do cardio. In the past I have been a lifting nut and decided that I needed to have better cardio for mountain hunting. That led me to running every day, 5k, 10k plus. That was a great move for me but I hated it. I missed being sore from heavy weights and I missed having the strength. It mentally drained me. So do what you love and force yourself to add in what you don't every time. I now lift and run 5-6 times per week and feel great

Mike 338

WKR
Losing weight is the easiest thing you'll ever do. Costs no money and requires no effort. It's about what you don't put in your mouth. Getting off big calorie intake is only uncomfortable for a few days. You don't need 3 meals a day. Probably don't need to talk about ice cream 'n such. Losing weight doesn't require more. It requires less. Easy...

Edit: Oh, and if you're kind'a fat, think year and a half to get a nice result. You're not trying to fit into a tuxedo for prom in a month. Getting thin is a pretty weak goal. Getting healthy... now that's worth something.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
Folks above have it right regarding the eating. Lower portions (but still keep sustainable, no need to cut too much too fast, you have a lifetime to shed the weight). And make healthier substitutions bit by bit. Gotta be sustainable.0

For working out, I’d suggest 1/2 hour to 1 hour walking every day. (Maybe start 1 hour three days a week, 1/2 hour twice a day.) twice a week strengthwork, something simple like: push-ups, pull-ups, goblet squats, lunges, single leg deadlifts. 4 sets of maybe 1/2 of the max you can do (for push-ups and pull-ups) and 4 sets of 5 for the others. Start super light—you have a lifetime to build up—and you can build up quickly at first. The key is ruthless consistency. If you pick something and do it, week in and week out, you’ll see really good gains for at least several months. At which point it’ll hopefully be a permanent lifestyle change.