If you were starting from scratch, which daypack setup would you buy?

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
SG once you get the frame and pack you can always get a bigger pack for longer hunts. That being said I would have no problem using my 6900 on a day hunt because how small it gets.

Agree with what's been said before about using for a carry on. Best to really think what you'd like to use it for?

If majority is just day hunt (without needing to pack meat) and daily life use (carry on, gym, etc.) then a frameless makes total sense and notably less expensive.

If you plan to do overnight backpacking or hauling meat in the future, it's worth the investment in a pack with a frame. If not doing 5+ day backpacks, then can also get a smaller one, or as people said, swap bags on same frame.

I absolutely love my Kifaru 14’r. It can compress really small, fit winter stuff, camera stuff or just a few things. It can handle 60lb no problem with a belt so it can pack some meat or a hide or something in a pinch. I’ve used mine for quite a few years now and continue using it every year.

It is a good carry on size too so no problems on airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
non meat hauling day pack- SG Avail

meat hauling day pack- SG Solo with Krux frame

I used to throw on a smaller pack on the frame, but the Solo is plenty compact and can be cinched down readily if need

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
non meat hauling day pack- SG Avail

meat hauling day pack- SG Solo with Krux frame

I used to throw on a smaller pack on the frame, but the Solo is plenty compact and can be cinched down readily if need
I can’t stand their asymmetrical packs. I’m left hand and it drives me nuts. I’m such a SG fanboy but I can’t get over it because of it. I want a solo but that dang pocket.

This would be my choice also, in the PU28 size, for the reasons stated. However, since you mentioned the possibility of adding different sized bags, I'd go with a Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT frame and a Pintler or Sawtooth 45. You cant swap out bags on the Pop Up frame without a lot of creativity.
I'm one more vote for the MR Pop up series. The 28 is perfect for day hunts and will pack out Elk Quarters 'comfortably' (lol, like packing out quarters is ever 'comfortable' lol)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can’t stand their asymmetrical packs. I’m left hand and it drives me nuts. I’m such a SG fanboy but I can’t get over it because of it. I want a solo but that dang pocket.

that's the new Solo, mine doesn't have that pocket :D

Sioux33

FNG
I've got the Exo 1800, 3500, and 6800. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Use the 1800 in early season and 3500 for late season day hunts. If I'm packing in for a few days, I'll use the 1800 as a stuff sack inside the 6800 to get to camp, then use it to day hunt from spike camp.

bbell

WKR
I am in the SG camp. Have the original krux frame with 5900 bag. It is great for day hunts to over a week. Super comfortable for me. Bought the Avail a while back and that’s my day/traveling pack. It has been great for traveling overseas and as a carry on. I pull the waist belt off when flying and that is a nice feature to have.

If I had tried a Kifaru I probably would have been in that camp to😀 just got to find what you like.

mlgc20

WKR
Respectfully, I approach this completely different than my Rokslide brethren. If it truly is a day pack (I.e., non needing meat hauling), then I think everything listed here is overkill. If I'm just going out for the day, I'm not taking a 3-6 pound pack to carry 15 pounds worth of gear. I have a Zpacks Arc Haul Zip. It weighs 25 ounces, and can easily carry 25 pounds comfortable. If it's a daypack situation where meat hauling might be needed, then I'd take my EXO K3 3500 (or any of the other great packs suggested).

bsnedeker

WKR
Respectfully, I approach this completely different than my Rokslide brethren. If it truly is a day pack (I.e., non needing meat hauling), then I think everything listed here is overkill. If I'm just going out for the day, I'm not taking a 3-6 pound pack to carry 15 pounds worth of gear. I have a Zpacks Arc Haul Zip. It weighs 25 ounces, and can easily carry 25 pounds comfortable. If it's a daypack situation where meat hauling might be needed, then I'd take my EXO K3 3500 (or any of the other great packs suggested).
If you're going out hunting for a day and don't have "meat hauling" on your list of things that your pack needs to do you approach hunting VERY differently than I do!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agreed OR your vehicle is very close by with your meat hauling pack

much easier to have that capability from the start