If you were starting from scratch, which daypack setup would you buy?

vthokee

WKR
So this is what I have for my setups. I have a Kifaru duplex tactical with a OG Stryker that works great for daypack early season here in South Carolina. I also have a 22mag for when it gets cooler and I need a little more gear. For my 4-5 day backcountry hunts I found a new old stock Markhor with a guide lid. These bags fill everything I need.

Marble

WKR
I've been using my little badlands pack recently and it's OK. Tonight I went on a little pig hunt with windy rainy weather. Brought my chair and everything to keep warm. So much more comfortable with my kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Guided hunt with base camp. Day hunting only. Also want to use for carry on and day hikes with family. Those to me say NO external frame.

Then, sounds like in the future you may want an external frame. And maybe a bigger bag.

If that is the scenario, I would look to an internal framed pack that could later be used on a frame. The Kifaru Shape Charge fits that scenario (also the 14'r I think). Use the shape charge (or another bag that fits that scenario) alone for any day hunting, especially if guided. Then if you want a hauling frame get that at a later date and be able to use the shape charge attached. Then if you want a big bag for hauling meat and multi-day backcountry get a bigger bag.

I just know that when I day hike (non-hunting) I rarely (if ever) want my frame. It is WAY overkill. If I had it to do over, I'd start my day hunts with a shape charge. I wish that was how I started.
I am pretty familiar with the Kifaru system, so that is my experience. If other systems have a regular day pack / carryon standalone bag that has the capability of hooking to a frame then I'd defiantly look there too.

The answer if you just had 1, for day hunting that you can morph into a multi day system, is the Stryker XL (and probably the soon to be released hellbender). Ive done 3 4-5 days trips with it and a camp bag on the shelf and dont know if Ill ever use my hoodlum or 44 mag again. I could easily stretch that to 7. After 7 is where I would switch to Hoodlum. That being said, the frame is a bit much for air/family travel.

I use the Shape charge for later season whitetail, and have used it on family trips as well. Perfect size for air travel.

For early season whitetail, Ive yet to find anything that is as compact and as well thought out as the Eberlestock Bandit - but wont be enough for western hunts, or probably even family travel.

Id say the Shape Charge will check off more of your boxes, youll just need a larger internal/external frame pack for multi day hunts down the road if you ever do that.

OP
S
I knew I would get some great advice, thanks again.

Here is where I am landing at the moment: daypack focused with less need for ability scale up too much (and just plan to purchase larger bag/system later).

One thing I need to solve for as well is how I will carry the rifle and to what extent that will impact what pack to go with.

sndmn11

WKR
I knew I would get some great advice, thanks again.

Here is where I am landing at the moment: daypack focused with less need for ability scale up too much (and just plan to purchase larger bag/system later).

One thing I need to solve for as well is how I will carry the rifle and to what extent that will impact what pack to go with.

Put your location in your profile and in here, and see if you can find any of the Kifaru/Seek/Exo/Stone Glacier/etc. FRAMES to try on. Show up with a $10 present (elk reeds, pork rinds, gumy bears, etc.) and a 40lb bag of sand or sidewalk salt and go on a walk. You could probably do a WTT ad and pretend it means Want To Try-on.

Then find a bag from the maker that fits your size needs, or go all used, or buy a new frame and used bag. Without trying some on to learn what matches your fit preferences and body wants, it is like buying boots without any frame of reference.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Yea good call. OP, If you are near Seattle you can try my Kuiu venture true daypack and also the SG frame.

Based on your requirements, I think you’re on the right track. Frame probably overkill for your needs.

On carrying the rifle, I ran the kifaru gun bearer for a season and didn’t love it hanging under the arm there. It wasn’t terrible, but prefer just strapping rifle to my pack however I can or shoulder sling carry. Might run the lower part of it with straps to on the pack so it sits behind me instead this year and see how I like that.

OP
S
Guided hunt with base camp. Day hunting only. Also want to use for carry on and day hikes with family. Those to me say NO external frame.

Then, sounds like in the future you may want an external frame. And maybe a bigger bag.

If that is the scenario, I would look to an internal framed pack that could later be used on a frame. The Kifaru Shape Charge fits that scenario (also the 14'r I think). Use the shape charge (or another bag that fits that scenario) alone for any day hunting, especially if guided. Then if you want a hauling frame get that at a later date and be able to use the shape charge attached. Then if you want a big bag for hauling meat and multi-day backcountry get a bigger bag.

I just know that when I day hike (non-hunting) I rarely (if ever) want my frame. It is WAY overkill. If I had it to do over, I'd start my day hunts with a shape charge. I wish that was how I started.
I am pretty familiar with the Kifaru system, so that is my experience. If other systems have a regular day pack / carryon standalone bag that has the capability of hooking to a frame then I'd defiantly look there too.
This makes a lot of sense. For the moment, I am looking at the Kifaru 14’R and Shapecharge as well as Stone Glacier Avail and Kiowa (overkill-I’m sure). I believe any of these four can be run with an internal frame or added to an external frame later on. I liked the SG Approach 2800 as well from a size standpoint, but it has to use the external frame.

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like you mostly have your mind made up but I wanted to add the AKEK Alpha 3200 pack in the mix. We are fairly new to the market but so far the Rokslide members that have tested our pack are liking the results. Watch the video that shows the quick release weapon holder and the removable small pack if you haven't already. We are currently offering a 30% discount to Rokslide members.

OP
S
Sounds like you mostly have your mind made up but I wanted to add the AKEK Alpha 3200 pack in the mix. We are fairly new to the market but so far the Rokslide members that have tested our pack are liking the results. Watch the video that shows the quick release weapon holder and the removable small pack if you haven't already. We are currently offering a 30% discount to Rokslide members.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I started with a stone glacier 5900 3 years ago. Really liked this option. Also have a Kifaru cargo panel that attaches easily. I’m now switching to a Kifaru frame and Stryker xl or hellbender. Gonna sell the SG rig completely. You can’t go wrong with either SG or Kifaru.

I started with a stone glacier 5900 3 years ago. Really liked this option. Also have a Kifaru cargo panel that attaches easily. I’m now switching to a Kifaru frame and Stryker xl or hellbender. Gonna sell the SG rig completely. You can’t go wrong with either SG or Kifaru.

Last edited:
OP
S
Why are you moving on from the SG?

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
SG - buy once and be done. I’ve used the Xcurve frame as a “carry on” with no issue (just be sure to remove your kydex holster from your hip belt)

The new Approach 2800 would be perfect - wish the spotter pocket was removable. I also like that idea of a custom bag on an xcurve frame in previous comments.

Kuiu concept is similar - I think Kurt (owner of SG) may have be part of the design of those frames/bags way back in the day. For your use case both brands would be ideal (IMO).

Why are you moving on from the SG?
After 3 years of heavy pack loads and awkward loads carrying in tree stands and gear for my boys who are now hunting with me, I’m tired of trying to mod out my SG to fit our hunting styles. I think the xcurve frame works well but it’s not near as comfortable as the Kifaru frame with big heavy awkward loads. And it’s not easy to attach a cargo panel too it and then put it back into run and gun mode. The Stryker is the most versatile pack I have seen so far that allows for run and gun, stand hunting and carrying other types of gear for say turkey hunting. If I was strictly run and gun hunting for elk, the 5900 SG would be my one pack.

OP
S
SG - buy once and be done. I’ve used the Xcurve frame as a “carry on” with no issue (just be sure to remove your kydex holster from your hip belt)

The new Approach 2800 would be perfect - wish the spotter pocket was removable. I also like that idea of a custom bag on an xcurve frame in previous comments.

Kuiu concept is similar - I think Kurt (owner of SG) may have be part of the design of those frames/bags way back in the day. For your use case both brands would be ideal (IMO).
I really like the size and layout of the 2800 relative to both the avail and the Kiowa ( from the photos and videos).

The Kuiu pro 1850 looked nice as well but I think it might be discontinued (the one that could be run either with internal frame or on the pro harness).