If you were starting from scratch, which daypack setup would you buy?

First post after lurking for a bit and reading a ton of informative posts-awesome site!

I am going on a guided spring bear hunt in Idaho. I'll be using a rifle and my friend a bow. We will be venturing from a basecamp each day and I need a daypack to carry the essentials and then some.

I am starting from scratch-no brand loyalty or frame/accessories to try and keep in mind when purchasing the pack. I would like to find something that could also function as a carry-on bag as the family and I travel a decent amount and occasionally go places where we will do a day hike and I carry everyone's stuff.

I keep going back and forth between something that has an external frame and using this as entry into a system wherein I could add larger bags later for other applications and something that has an internal frame and truly setup just for lighter duty.

It seems like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo top the recommended list with Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Initial Ascent, and Seek Outdoors coming up regularly as well.

I know there is no substitution for trying on different options to see what fits your frame but am looking for a good place to start.

So, all of this to say, if you were starting from scratch looking for a daypack what would be on your short list and why?

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I have the exo k3 1800 and really like it as a daypack. Light and and the ability to pack meat. I also like that I can add a bigger bag if I decide on a backpack hunt. I always had badlands and eberlestock packs previously, and it was amazing how my shoulders didn’t kill after a week hunt with the new pack last year.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I have been researaching this same question for months. I finally ordered a K3 EXO with 3200 CI bag and it should arrive today. It seemed to check most of the boxes and feedback on Rokslide was enough to push me to select EXO. No doubt other good packs out there. My buddy just ordered an Eberlestock FI Tall frame so I can try that on some time as comparison. My biggest concern with the EXO is the noisy cordura nylon bag material, but Roksliders assure me it is a non-issue in real hunting situations. FWIW I bought a blemish model and along with my OnX Elite discount got $135 off MSRP.

MR pop up of your choice for size (capacity) If in any kind of Idaho jungle patch you will like not having a frame that hangs up on trees and brush. Yet this pack will haul a good load if needed.
This would be my choice also, in the PU28 size, for the reasons stated. However, since you mentioned the possibility of adding different sized bags, I'd go with a Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT frame and a Pintler or Sawtooth 45. You cant swap out bags on the Pop Up frame without a lot of creativity.

wapitibob

WKR
For a daypack with meat hauling I would get a stone glacier frame and have Pods8 make a custom bag that you design. The bag becomes a compression panel when hauling meat with the SG integrated load sling. Frame is $375 and weighs just over 2#, and a daypack bag from pods will be $125-$150.

day pack Pods8 (Small).jpg

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Exo k2 and now run a SG curve w/ an Evo 40/56. I’m not sure I would rock either as a carry on. With the frames and size, feels like it would be a hassle in the bins overheads. Haven’t tried it, just my thought.

I use my SG as a day pack for hikes and turkey season, but it is definitely overkill. For backpack hunts and hauling meat, the frames are great. X curve more comfortable than the k2 for me, but I’ve heard the k3 is on par or better than the x curve.

Given your requirements, I might look at a serac 1700 as a stand-alone daypack. Then you could add a frame later or bigger bags if needed all on the same system. My only knock on it is it doesn’t have a hip belt in standalone mode.

I did pick up a kuiu venture 2300 as my standalone day pack for this year (also using it for a guided hunt where I won’t have to haul meat) primarily because I wanted a hip belt.

I’m happy with it so far, and will probably just change system based on needs going forward. If I need to haul meat but don’t need all the bag space of the 40/56, oh well, extra bag space is coming with me on the SG. If no meat hauling or major weight, kuiu day pack.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to do today what I did when I started. However, it’s the best route. I bought a Kifaru frame and paired it with an AMR bag. This is the perfect setup for me. Too bad they discontinued this bag.

KHNC

WKR
I am a fan of the Seek Outside Peregrine. It is very lightweight and will carry some big weight! Has all the features i can think of included. Add the zipper bag to the outside and it does it all for less than most and is US made in Colorado.

Catahoula

WKR
I just received my Kifaru Stryker XL bag last week. Wanted something smaller than current bag. Excited to use it in the upcoming months. Looks to be very accessible. Starting from scratch and latest intel…..I like the Kifaru system… Best of luck!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Used many packs, frames during my 55 years' experience, starting today I'd choose a Kifaru system.
You can interchange different packs with purchase of one frame, accessory pouches etc can be added to organize or add gear. Carries weight well and made in USA Quality.

hear a new one is coming out....Hellbender.
Like the Stryker packs mentioned but more CI, carry bit more day gear.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For a daypack........I want little to no frame. Low profile, lightweight......forget it's even on my back. However that makes it impossible to carry out a load of meat with it. So if I wanted to carry the first load of meat out with it......I'd still want a very compact frame as a dedicated daypack. What that is.......I have no idea. That's why I make an extra trip and bring back my Stone Glacier or Bull-Pac to pack the heavy stuff.

Do you need to pack out meat on this trip? If not get a $100-150 day pack with a frame sheet not a frame pack. If they have vehicles for game recovery any external frame pack is going to be too much. A true day pack will be much better for overnight trips/travel/carry-on etc.

I’ve had a bunch of day packs and my current favorite for any hunt where a vehicle will be used to recover animals is a Mystery ranch Scapegoat 25 with the hip belt removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
S
So many good suggestions here, I really appreciate it. I've got some home work to do researching some of the options.

One potential wrinkle is the lead time for some of the options noted.