If you were starting from scratch, which daypack setup would you buy?

I use a MR Metcalf cause its what I have. It collapses down nicely and can haul anything I'm physically capable of carrying. That being said I would move towards any of the sizes of the MR Popup series. Tried one on and it felt perfect. Probably going to hurt carrying a heavy heavy load, but it wont break.

What are the thought surrounding a pack like the Mystery Ranch Crewcab or (I think discontinued) Cabinet? Are there any real benefits to one of these style packs over say a Pintler?

Tower

FNG
I absolutely love my Kifaru 14’r. It can compress really small, fit winter stuff, camera stuff or just a few things. It can handle 60lb no problem with a belt so it can pack some meat or a hide or something in a pinch. I’ve used mine for quite a few years now and continue using it every year.

It is a good carry on size too so no problems on airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm considering the 14'r (along with the shapecharge, and HPG Umlindi) but was steering away b/c I thought it would be too large to be a carry-on with the 23" stays. Nobody has ever given you a problem with it as a carry-on?
I really like the ability to add belt pouches to the side for extra capacity.

I have a Kifaru Stryker xl and an exo mountain k3 4800. Can’t go wrong with either companies. Both comfortable empty and under a load.

cjdewese

WKR
I have a Kifaru Stryker xl and an exo mountain k3 4800. Can’t go wrong with either companies. Both comfortable empty and under a load.
These are the two I've been looking at, shot a deer 4 miles back this year and my current pack was brutal to pack out that much weight. Pack ended up around 95 lbs with an overnight camp on my back as well. Any issues with that kind of weight with either of these?

I would go with a Hill People Gear UTE, I carry their Umlindi currently and it is great, however I think I am an over packer because I always have it stuffed to the gills, even on just day hikes with the family. HPG suspension has been the best for me with my chronic neck and shoulder issues, they don't cause nearly the cramping or discomfort of others I have tried.

DG75

FNG
Hey Everyone! I’m not starting over…I’m starting!!!

After reading this thread I’m leaning towards a Kifaru frame and a Stryker XL bag. Sorta seems like a little bit overkill for whitetail hunting here locally in NYS but maybe not. Thoughts??? Obviously would work if I travel to do bigger hunts.

Would I better off with something smaller like a Badlands 2200? (just an example could be any brand)

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everyone! I’m not starting over…I’m starting!!!

After reading this thread I’m leaning towards a Kifaru frame and a Stryker XL bag. Sorta seems like a little bit overkill for whitetail hunting here locally in NYS but maybe not. Thoughts??? Obviously would work if I travel to do bigger hunts.

Would I better off with something smaller like a Badlands 2200? (just an example could be any brand)
I’d definitely lean towards one with a little better meat hauling abilities. Don’t see the Stryker setup ever being an “overkill” item. More of a ready for anything

DG75

FNG
I also picked up a hoodlum. Very pleased with the frame and Stryker. Excellent quality build and materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I adopted a stryker xl during the kifaru moving sale last year. Finally put it to use turkey hunting this spring, what an excellent day pack. Had more than enough room, and I ran two additional compression straps off the frame which could be used for strapping a quarter with, or what I did was ran them over the bag and strapped my blind and chair to the pack. This combo really is the best I’ve used. Can’t wait to use for deer and elk.

EmperorMA

WKR
I can't possibly imagine that there is a better solution here than the Kifaru Stryker XL on a 24" Duplex Lite frame. The newer Hellbender on the same frame would also be fantastic but just a touch larger.

Another good alternative would be a Stone Glacier Approach 2800 (or an older Approach 1800). Great frame and a cool bag that should work for travel, too. come to think of it, if you could find a used 1800 version it might be right up there with the Stryker XL for first place.

The Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 30 is kind of a no-brainer, as well. It may not carry meat quite as well as the two mentioned above, but it will certainly get your deer out of the woods and make a fine travel pack.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Depends! I love my backcountry ski pack (ArcTeryx Rush 42) as a hunting daypack. The separate access avalanche tools compartment is great for kill kits or the 19 different muzzleloader things I always end up carrying, and clothes and lunch go in the other compartment.

thrower88

FNG
A mystery ranch pop up. Ability to utilize the meat shelf for additional gear storage if needed

Crews

FNG
I use a Stone Glacier Kiowa and a SG Frame. The Kiowa is just about perfect for work travel, does well as a carry on. And it’s a great as a day pack. When I need to plus up I just throw it on the SG frame.