Idaho NR Elk Tags are SOLD OUT as of 6/17/20

Crazy how much more demand there is for elk tags since I stared elk hunting in 2012.
Bought mine Monday and it showed 2100 still available but hadn't been updated in a while. Didn't realize how close I was cutting it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I started hunting there in '16 with a friend that used to go pretty regularly about 8 or so years prior. They never bought tags until they arrived in state. And that was for Diamond Creek. This year DC sold out in about 90 mins. With the increases next year, I am guessing it will slow down some. Maybe.

I started hunting there in '16 with a friend that used to go pretty regularly about 8 or so years prior. They never bought tags until they arrived in state. And that was for Diamond Creek. This year DC sold out in about 90 mins. With the increases next year, I am guessing it will slow down some. Maybe.

Hell, it took that long? I thought last year was even less but I don’t remember

Well all I can say is with all the sob stories i’m seeing about guys waiting too long and missing out, next year will sell out that much quicker.

We bought ours right after we failed to draw MT. There were about 5k left at that time. The fact that WA permits are 10% of levels 4-5 yrs ago is not helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well all I can say is with all the sob stories i’m seeing about guys waiting too long and missing out, next year will sell out that much quicker.
I doubt it. Prices are going up, zones are being capped, and HOPEFULLY there won't be stimulus checks that guys can snap up tags with. I think it was a perfect storm this year with everyone getting stimulus money... during draw and tag selling time. I think once the popular zones sell out next year there will be some reluctance to switch zones especially at a much higher cost.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Always the same. 1st time it has sold put before residents get a chance at buying a second tag I believe:

7 months to make a decision

7 months to put that tag in the cart

6 months till tags go on sale again

Less time till tags go on sale again then time you just procrastinated to decide to hunt elk

Wow,
I told my buddy last year this would happen...but then Covid hit and all bets were off.

Everybody wants to hunt elk....and it's getting worse every year.

A tip for Roksliders; I think the unsold Guide tags hit the market August 1st...if history is any indication. A guy without a tag should be primed and ready.....

______
will be Aug 13 at 10 mst

I'm going to bet now that caps are the only thing that effect rate of sale next year.

From my perspective (33 and a father of 3). The tag increase won't effect things. Especially because they are basically lining up with other states.

What will effect things is how hard they cap zones. The "not less than" language leaves a lot of leeway, but I don't think I would purchase a tag for some of the desolate units. . . So I'll just have to be ready in December. . . Before ANY other draws! Idaho just took itself from last bridesmaid to the bride! And I bet a whole host of people are sitting there when tags go on sale just waiting to snap them up!

I remember buying my B tag when I arrived in Idaho, and the same with the A tags. Not anymore...

They used to sell out all the time and it's now gotten back to that point. People act like this is completely unprecedented and a sign that there's way more hunters. There might be more hunters, but selling out tags is normal with a good economy (pre 2008 and again starting a few years ago). Next year they wont sell nearly as fast with prices skyrocketing and the economy will, unfortunately, likely be in the shitter next year after these last few months finally catch up with us. And as previously stated, WA quality elk tags are literally 10% of what they were just a couple years ago and I believe that's what drove this the most. It's not a coincidence that WA did their drawing and a week later ID sells the remaining 3,000 tags out.

... WA quality elk tags are literally 10% of what they were just a couple years ago and I believe that's what drove this the most. It's not a coincidence that WA did their drawing and a week later ID sells the remaining 3,000 tags out.
Yep, WA has destroyed their resource and opportunity and it's why we Idahoans want to tell them all to F' off.... honestly it's not personal either, it's the byproduct of Progressive lunatics ruining their own systems and now wanting to exploit ours.
The quaintness of Boise is about destroyed due to Cali transplants and that's a macrocosm of what is happening statewide--and it's the same with our F&G resource.
The good old days are now, it will be different in ten years--draw only etc., trust me. The fat lady is singing.

Yep, WA has destroyed their resource and opportunity and it's why we Idahoans want to tell them all to F' off.... honestly it's not personal either, it's the byproduct of Progressive lunatics ruining their own systems and now wanting to exploit ours.
The quaintness of Boise is about destroyed due to Cali transplants and that's a macrocosm of what is happening statewide--and it's the same with our F&G resource.
The good old days are now, it will be different in ten years--draw only etc., trust me. The fat lady is singing.

So are you saying you wouldn’t welcome me moving to Idaho? I am of like mind and can help fight the Boise nonsense!

So are you saying you wouldn’t welcome me moving to Idaho? I am of like mind and can help fight the Boise nonsense!

Listen, you're probably a good dude, and it's a free country, at least as of today it is.
Everyone here is worn out with people coming from somewhere else. Like I said, it isn't personal, there are a lot of good dudes on this forum. But you'd feel the same way if your small gravel roads were overwhelmed with out-of-state plates for months of the Fall. I have a fresh bullet hole in my pole barn from Fall of '19.

And the there is simply no upside in the tradeoff, WA, CA, CO..all becoming hellholes.
Last time I went to Washiginton, (May '19) all of my sh!t (Toyota truck, new Yamaha grizzly etc. ) was f*cking stolen right out from under me. Yes, I'm fiercely defensive of where we are and what we have. Those that detroyed their own state now want to take others land, jobs, fish and game. It's a tough situation for locals and it's why trespass laws changed last year.

Back